• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 beeps solid under load

JesusCow

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 2, 2000
Messages
2,033
hello i have recently upgraded my video card for a crossfirex / eyefinity setup

i have the following:
2x XFX 5870 1GBs
Intel DX58SO (latest BIOS)
Intel i7 965
Corsair 750 watt PSU
Corsair 3x2GB DDR3
Intel SSD X25-E
3x Dell U2410

everything configures fine, but under load (in game or win7 benchmark) there is a solid audible alarm. this happened running a single 5870 as well (but i did not try each of them yet)

any ideas? i hope there is something simple i missed :( doesn't seem it would be overheating
 
Hmm coil whine? or maybe the vid card(s) are complaining they aren't getting enough power?
 
I had a 620 watt corsair PSU (w/ two 6v connectors attached), and I got the beep-under-load using 1 card. I presumed the PSU, so I got the 750 watt to replace (and to support four 6v connectors).. same result

I will have to try the cards individually again tonight...

I don't think it's the coils, it is a generated tone~
 
Check seating on the PCIe slots and unplug/replug your power connectors (solid connection). Same result? RMA perhaps
 
If it's giving alarms under load I would be concerned about either heat or power output. Have you monitored the heat while under load as that is much simpler to diagnose.
 
I just got home from work an hour ago and troubleshot: each card individually, temps were fine, installed the new 10.4 drivers, but still got the audible alarm under test

then i figured it out... it was an older UPS in alarm, which the PC was plugged in to (alone). I was likely pulling too much from it, now that i put in to hungry hungry video cards

running with no problems now, without battery
ugh THANKS.. move along
 
My old APC gave an alarm when I was playing COD4 awhile back. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. :eek: :D
 
Back
Top