• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 and 5870X2 specs

The clocks look realistic, I'm kinda disappointed at the memory speed, don't both Samsung and Hynix have 7gb/s ddr5 memory now? Not that 4.4gb/s is not enough but I had thought that ATi would go with the fastest memory for their next card.

I wonder what the power consumption of the 5870 will be in comparison to the 4870. I wouldn't mind it being less.
 
Nice increase in fill rates from the 4870 to the 5870, if true, on both pixel and texture. Could the relatively low pixel fillrate on the 4800's cause the issue we had, where performance dropped off a bit in the 26x15 resolutions, compared to the 19x12?
 
Putting the higher binned chips on the X2 version makes a lot of sense.

X2s don't scale 1:1, so if you try and make up for it in clocks it ends up better. They are probably trying to give you a reason to skip buying two 5870s and just go for the x2 instead.

These look promising, and they look about right for a new generation. ~2x performance.
 
They look like viable clocks. I don't think they're going to match the gtx 300 coming from nvidia though. We'll see i'm sure
 
BS story IMO, couple of weeks back the same site was reporting a whole different launch date alongside with completely different figures.
 
They look like viable clocks. I don't think they're going to match the gtx 300 coming from nvidia though. We'll see i'm sure

I'm sure ATi is just going to win the 48xx vs GTX2xx war, then lay down on the next series of cards.
 
I'm not sure those numbers add up

the 4870 has 40TMU clocked @ 750mhz, producing 30,000MT/S not 25,000MT/S
 
well last time amd surprised everyone, and I would not be surprised if they surprised us all this time as well.
 
It's probably going to be just like last time, with AMD's fastest single-GPU card being somewhat slower than Nvidia's( the gap will probably be bigger this time ), and with the X2 part again being about on-par or slightly faster. Will be great to finally get a huge increase in GPU power though, even if most games don't need it for the most common resolutions.
 
It's probably going to be just like last time, with AMD's fastest single-GPU card being somewhat slower than Nvidia's( the gap will probably be bigger this time ), and with the X2 part again being about on-par or slightly faster. Will be great to finally get a huge increase in GPU power though, even if most games don't need it for the most common resolutions.

Are you talking about the 4870X2 being on par or slightly faster than a GTX 280? Because the 4870X2 is miles ahead of a GTX 280.

In fact it often beats a GTX 295 (both trading blows varying on resolution and title).

I think the 1,200 ALUs will be floating around the same way the 640 ALU figure was for RV770. I'm expecting 1,600 or more ALUs for RV870.
 
i dont think we can speculate on hardware info for nvidia and ati this round, mainly because amd pulled a rabbit out of their hats with the 4870, and im pretty sure nvidia is taking a risk with the gt300 (lets hope its not another fx5900)
 
I assume this is going to be another 256 bit with GDDR5? The last time I heard it was going to be a 512 bit but I don't see this happening who knows?

The 5870x2 looks good though, its clocked higher than the 5870 which means more performance, yay.
 
GDDR5 is all about similar performance for lower cost. 512bit buses are very expensive to design and manufacture, compared to 256bit buses. 256bit GDDR5 is as fast as 512bit GDDR3, costs a lot less, and uses 30 percent less power. Both nVidia and ATi did tests with 384bit and 512bit buses and decided to use 256bit to keep costs down.

Also, I think many of you don't realize just how overkill 512bit GDDR5 would be. 256bit GDDR5 actually is enough bandwidth for today's GPUs, both nVidia and ATi. Going to 512bit GDDR5 would result in the RAM being massively bottlenecked by the GPU. The performance increase would be minimal and the costs very high.

You wouldn't see 512bit GDDR5 unless you had a serious, game-changing GPU upgrade. Even the 8800GTX, which was a hell of a big step up at the time (maybe the biggest step up ever), had only 384bit GDDR3. I don't see either nVidia or ATi doing anything like a modern-day 8800GTX release.
 
Strange how the 5870X2 is clocked higher.

That's what they did with the HD 3870X2

Putting the higher binned chips on the X2 version makes a lot of sense.

X2s don't scale 1:1, so if you try and make up for it in clocks it ends up better. They are probably trying to give you a reason to skip buying two 5870s and just go for the x2 instead.

These look promising, and they look about right for a new generation. ~2x performance.

That's what they did with the HD 3870X2
 
1200 shaders sounds odd to me, 1280 would make more sense given recent history.

the R740 has 640 shaders (128 x 5), and produces around .96 t/flops.

given that the R740 is considered to be a test-bed for the .40nm process, why not the shader arrangement too, in which case the R870 might have 1280 shaders (256 x 5) .
 
Unless AMD is really changing something architecturally (which it appears they don't, with recycling the R770 core and all that), GPGPU performance probably won't increase as dramatically as with nVidia's GT300 architecture. I definitely would like to see more data on that, as well as benchmarks :)
 
Unless AMD is really changing something architecturally (which it appears they don't, with recycling the R770 core and all that), GPGPU performance probably won't increase as dramatically as with nVidia's GT300 architecture. I definitely would like to see more data on that, as well as benchmarks :)

But we have no clue what's GT300 performance, in terms of GPGPU. Don't you mean GT200 ?
 
1200 shaders sounds odd to me, 1280 would make more sense given recent history.

the R740 has 640 shaders (128 x 5), and produces around .96 t/flops.

given that the R740 is considered to be a test-bed for the .40nm process, why not the shader arrangement too, in which case the R870 might have 1280 shaders (256 x 5) .

Actually 1200 should be no problem aswell, though 1280 also makes sense.

In the current SIMD configuration, there are 80 ALUs per SIMD in a total of 10 SIMDs. To get 1200, you need 15 SIMDs. 1280 requires 16.
 
I actually think the "who will win the next round" is pointless. The more competition we have between the two vendors, the more the consumer wins. The more competitive, the better. Now that being said, I have noticed the last few rounds of the video card competition seem to be "won" by whoever comes out with theirs last. It pretty much comes down to one side releasing, the other side seeing their specs, adjusting their stuff so it's faster, and releasing.
 
I actually think the "who will win the next round" is pointless. The more competition we have between the two vendors, the more the consumer wins. The more competitive, the better. Now that being said, I have noticed the last few rounds of the video card competition seem to be "won" by whoever comes out with theirs last. It pretty much comes down to one side releasing, the other side seeing their specs, adjusting their stuff so it's faster, and releasing.

wrong.

2900xt ati came "last" and were terrible
3870 ati came at about the same time as the 8800gt, and they were atleast competitive with it.
4800series ati came "last" but "won" due to MASSIVELY undercutting nvidia's prices*$500* for a gtx260? *$600* for a gtx280 remember that? and there were idiots who actually went and bought them too.
 
wrong.

2900xt ati came "last" and were terrible
3870 ati came at about the same time as the 8800gt, and they were atleast competitive with it.
4800series ati came "last" but "won" due to MASSIVELY undercutting nvidia's prices*$500* for a gtx260? *$600* for a gtx280 remember that? and there were idiots who actually went and bought them too.

I spent 700 on my 280GTX tbh, had it shipped overnight and benched next day. Granted I had a little over 20 grand sitting in the bank doing nothing. But now? Yea I'd take the 4870/4890 any day.
 
Well I guess last couple means last 4 generations to you. To me, couple means two, which would be the 4700'ish 4800'ish. I guess that's all how you define "couple". :eek:
 
Well I guess last couple means last 4 generations to you. To me, couple means two, which would be the 4700'ish 4800'ish. I guess that's all how you define "couple". :eek:

that isnt generations, thats just releases, which really doesn't mean anything.;)
 
Yes I can haz dx 11 in July kinda :p im future proofing muh new am3 with ddr3 and amd fusion and ati 5800's :) :D :p
 
Getting excited about the 5870x2. Hopefully ATi can get their stuff together and improve the folding performance for this round.
 
If ATi releases good drivers with these new cards I might take another chance with them. I had to RMA my 4870 and 4870x2 because of their buggy drivers. Drove me insane.
 
If ATi releases good drivers with these new cards I might take another chance with them. I had to RMA my 4870 and 4870x2 because of their buggy drivers. Drove me insane.


I felt the same way...when the 4870x2 came out...3 x2's and a 4850x2 later...I have to say that I'll be sticking around the "green team" for a little bit longer
 
If ATi releases good drivers with these new cards I might take another chance with them. I had to RMA my 4870 and 4870x2 because of their buggy drivers. Drove me insane.

i read this earlier as well, what was the problem that you encountered?
 
If ATi releases good drivers with these new cards I might take another chance with them. I had to RMA my 4870 and 4870x2 because of their buggy drivers. Drove me insane.


Been using 4870x2 with my system since it came out with no issues at all. Been one of the best cards I have ever owned.
 
I've had good experiences with the HD4850. I have had some stability challenges as well. From my experience the key problem to most of the 4800 series cards is poor cooling.

That mixed with hot case and I'm sure many people have not been pleased with the results.

From what i have seen so far from the HD4890 I think it is going to be hot one and I wouldn't be surprised if many more people complain of instability because of poor cooling.
 
Interesting. But I will go with what gives me the most consistent and highest performance for my price bracket for the games I play. And at the time I ordered my card it was the GTX 260 Black Edition. Even at $289 it was worth every freaking penny even today. Here's to hoping ATi's drivers continue to improve and they will offer a compelling solution over GT300, but I'm not holding my breath.
 
But we have no clue what's GT300 performance, in terms of GPGPU. Don't you mean GT200 ?

Well, in an earlier article on that linked site, details of what GT300 might look like were posted. They included things like a move to a MIMD architecture and some other reshuffling, much of it specifically aimed at GPGPU performance. Since nVidia has heavily invested in CUDA, I don't doubt that they'd love to give CUDA performance a big boost with GT300 over GT200.
 
Back
Top