• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 - 87c Safe?

joebobsteve

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
80
All I need to know is if it is safe. I want to assume it is because Ive seen much higher temps with the 4800 series cards. I plan on keeping this card for years. My 5870 is reference and stock.

87c is the absolute max this card hits during long periods of gaming. Fan stays at 33% when at 85c. Once the card hits 87c, the fan automatically revs up to 37%.

The reason for the high temps is that its housed in a compact lan case. But lets just stay on the topic of it being safe or not.
 
Last edited:
turn the fan up manually to about 45% BEFORE you game its quiet and your temps will drop about 20c
 
Im not raising my fan speeds unless its absolutely necessary. Im already annoyed when it spins up to 37%. 45% would piss me off.
 
I don't like high temps myself, but it's always one way or the other (high fanspeed/low temps or low fanspeed/higher temps). 87C should be ok from what I read on a thread at overclock.net. They mentioned about watching the temp on the vrm's.

You could always try going water cooling route which would eliminate noise, but if you really want to lower temps, you'll have to raise that fan speed. Of course, if you haven't already tried cable management to maximize airflow, that may also help as well.
 
The simple answer is yes, 87 is a safe temp.
The not so simple answer is that high temps are not conducive to a long life for the card.

I would consider 87 to be high, so if you plan on keeping it a long time like you said, you really should be keeping the temps down around 65-70 , with 70 being the max during a long gaming session.

having the card in a small case does not help either, how is the temp of the VRM's?

What kind of case cooling do you have, you may be able to make some improvement there, and thus help keep the card cooler without raising the fan speed.

alternatively, If the noise of the stock cooler bothers you that much, perhaps an aftermarket cooler is in order.
 
I move mine to 38% fan when gaming, and that's pretty quiet over the game..I just activate the profile in CCC, game, then when done gaming, move it back to Auto.....very easy to do.
 
Although a little on the high side for today's standards, it's a perfectly safe temperature. It's not until the 105-110C range that GPUs start taking damage, although anything over 95C is suitable for concern.
 
iv been told by an XFX tech guy that temps on my 5850 can go up to 103c anything below is fine.

now if you want your temps going that high is up to you.
 
I think anyone that wants the best performance available but cries about a little fan noise is retarded. Since we're slinging mud. I had 5850 CF I ran both cards between 40-45% and I game with cans and it never bothered me.
 
the high fans in games never bother me in game because the game volume usually drowns out the noise. i dont like letting my card get over 65C so the fan curve i have in MSI afterburner keeps it down
 
The simple answer is yes, 87 is a safe temp.
The not so simple answer is that high temps are not conducive to a long life for the card.

I would consider 87 to be high, so if you plan on keeping it a long time like you said, you really should be keeping the temps down around 65-70 , with 70 being the max during a long gaming session.

having the card in a small case does not help either, how is the temp of the VRM's?

What kind of case cooling do you have, you may be able to make some improvement there, and thus help keep the card cooler without raising the fan speed.

alternatively, If the noise of the stock cooler bothers you that much, perhaps an aftermarket cooler is in order.

I think VDDC = VRM. Correct me if Im wrong.

My VRM #1-4 temps according to GPU-Z are 71-72c. My VDCCI #1 temp is 86c.

GPU Temp = 87c (CCC temp and first GPU-Z temp)

GPU Temp #1 = 85c
GPU Temp #2 = 93c
GPU Temp #3 = 93c

Is this safe?
 
Last edited:
No, it isn't safe. I would never let my card get that hot since I leave my PC on 24/7. Get some better cooling.
 
I think VDDC = VRM. Correct me if Im wrong.

My VRM #1-4 temps according to GPU-Z are 71-72c. My VDCCI #1 temp is 86c.

GPU Temp = 87c (CCC temp and first GPU-Z temp)

GPU Temp #1 = 85c
GPU Temp #2 = 93c
GPU Temp #3 = 93c

Is this safe?

Those temps are within the spec for that card, but as I said above, they are a bit high for my taste

I'm pretty sure 104 is that limit for the GPU, and your pretty close to that

I would look into getting them closer to ~ 70 any way that I could
 
Back
Top