5870 2GB Version

Igg

[H]ard|Gawd
Does a 2gb version of the 5870 exist?

Yes I really do have a need for all that memory.

The 5870 Eyefinity Edition is supposed to be released sometime soon, and it has 2GB of RAM.

03/11/2010 is the date thrown around the most. So that would mean next Wednesday morning. The NDA will expire and reviews go up 12:00 A.M. EST. At least, that is if AMD follows the pattern set by the previous 5xxx releases.

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw that a while back but having to get mini display port to dvi adapter everytime is gonna get expensive ;/

From Anandtech in regards to the included DP-DVI adapters and it's limitations.

Anandtech said:
Since this is still being driven by Cypress, the clock source limitation has not changed. Cypress only has 2 clock sources for DVI-type displays, so the 5870E6 can only drive up to 2 DVI/HDMI displays using passive adapters. Furthermore if you want to drive a 2560 display or a 120Hz 1920 display, you’re going to need active adapters regardless of clock sources. So if you’re thinking of buying this as a 2GB 5870 to drive your 2560 DVI monitor, you’re still going to be shelling out another $100 for an active adapter. Even with the dongles, it’s clear that this card really is meant to be paired with DP/mini-DP monitors for the long-run.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3750&p=2

04/11/2010 is the date thrown around the most. So that would mean next Wednesday morning. The NDA will expire and reviews go up 12:00 A.M. EST. At least, that is if AMD follows the pattern set by the previous 5xxx releases.

i think you meant 3/11/2010

I can't wait for the trouble calls when people buy 2 of them and put them in their Win XP 32 bit systems. :)

say it aint so! My mobo is lonely and in need of two well-endowed video cards.

SunSp*t
Post subject: Re: Q&A to ATI's Dave Baumann and SunSp*tPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:33 am
ATI Community Rep

suiken_2mieu wrote:
Any news on the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition? I'm about to commit about $1,200 into getting 3 more monitors, the 6-output card, adapters, and mounts. I'd Feel better about it if I knew when I could use it.

Are you guys stalling on Release because of NVidia?

lol no. And from our perspective it is nV that is tryng to time things to steal some attention away from us.

Believe it or not we are pushing things out the door as fast as we can. Originally I had asked for December, but the reality is that we couldn't get it done. Then it was January, then February, and now... Look at all the cards and chips we are rolling out the door. It is an unprecedented pace.

You will get what you want very, very, very soon.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17023&start=120

I am very interested in buying this card to replace 2x GTX 285s in SLI and trying Eyefinity with my U2410s.

Will there be a performance increase in this over the current 5870 card? Only concern is the odd native connection options on this upcoming card. I know there are adapters, but still...

I can't even find a single BLACK mini displayport to displayport cable for sale anywhere. Only white ones...

I am very interested in buying this card to replace 2x GTX 285s in SLI and trying Eyefinity with my U2410s.

Will there be a performance increase in this over the current 5870 card? Only concern is the odd native connection options on this upcoming card. I know there are adapters, but still...

I can't even find a single BLACK mini displayport to displayport cable for sale anywhere. Only white ones...

There will likely be some performance gains at high Eyefinity resolutions. I know that games like Stalker CS and CoP and Crysis are frame buffer limited when I turn up the settings...

Anyone's guess on the adapters for those using non-Displayport monitors. Running with one active DP adapter gives most people trouble enough (I want to tear my hair out at times trying to get it to work) -- the 5870 2G only has DP ports so you'd need three DP adapters if your monitors don't have DP.

I'm waiting to see if Fermi has a better port solution for multi-monitors.

Fermi cards have 2x DVI and one HDMI connection. And only able to connect 2 monitors to a single card so you'll need two cards for Efefinity like setups.

Fermi cards have 2x DVI and one HDMI connection. And only able to connect 2 monitors to a single card so you'll need two cards for Efefinity like setups.

Darn, I'll just have to get two cards then :D

Back