• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 1GB vs. 2GB

Chubby

n00b
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
27
I'm in the market for a HD 5870, and the most common advice given about them seems to be to get the cheapest. So far, so good.

I was looking around today, and noticed that Asus have a 2GB version of the card which has HDMI, DVI, VGA, etc and started wondering. How much of a difference would the extra 1GB make? Would I notice it that much?

Thanks!
 
It all depends at what resolution you'll be gaming at. The 1gb version will be perfectly fine for resolutions under 1920x1200 and if you're worried about performance issues it would be safe to get the 2gb version if you plan on gaming at 1920x1200 or higher.

The best thing to do in your case is to check out performance tests and make a decision for your self whether or not a bump to 2gb is worth it or not.
 
I'm going to have a 24" monitor at a 1920 X 1080 resolution, but I'll also hook up my TV (26") via HDMI. Will 1GB be enough for both of them? The 24" will be my main monitor and the TV will just be for movies and stuff.

Also, at $640 for the 2GB Asus 5870 I'm thinking that I might as well drop the last $60 and go for the 5970?
 
I'd get the 1GB version if you're at 1920x1200. My 1GB 5870 does a great job with my 2560x1600 LCD. I might grab a second 5870 for Crossfire at year's end when new games come out.
 
The 1GB is plenty, save that money for something else. Like towards an ssd. That would be a bigger improvement. My buddy has one of the 23" 2048x1152 monitors or something like that and he's been more than fine with 1GB on his card.
 
Thanks guys, I'll stick with the 1GB version then. I can always get another card in a year or two if I really need it anyway :p
 
I'm going to have a 24" monitor at a 1920 X 1080 resolution, but I'll also hook up my TV (26") via HDMI. Will 1GB be enough for both of them? The 24" will be my main monitor and the TV will just be for movies and stuff.

Also, at $640 for the 2GB Asus 5870 I'm thinking that I might as well drop the last $60 and go for the 5970?

at that price its certainly not worth it. two 6870 will outperform that for 200 less. and the adding the TV does not increase your need for Vram.
 
The Sapphire 5870 2Gb is only $399, however if you can wait I definitely would. The 6970 should be coming out within a month and that will replace the 5870 as the highend part, and hopefully launch with 2Gb of ram as an option. Even if you decide not to get that it should drop prices on 5870s making it worthwhile to wait at least a couple weeks and see if any information surfaces.
 
Back
Top