• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5850s squealing on H20?

bacon612

n00b
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
30
Hello all. I am a [H] noob but will be working on upping my status/posts ASAP.

Anyways, i just upgrade my aging 3870 xfire setup to some el cheap-o 5850s that I got here....
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1514768&highlight=5850+tigerdirect&page=3

Before i get flamed for buying OEM cards from "el tigre" I do want to say that I was shopping on a tight budget and caved. My mistake....

I am using a swiftec kit to water cool my CPU and GPUS with MCW-60s and the stock plate from OEM cooling on the 5850s. The cards are clocking pretty well so far. I've had them at 900/1150 at 1.2volts and 950/1150 seems to be stable at 1.225.

What I am noticing is if I fold with them or they are under load, they emit a high pitched squealing noise. One is louder than the other. Its more of an annoyance than anything but I figured that i'd post my curiosity to the [H] forum seeking help from the pros...;)


Anyone experiencing this? Thoughts?

Also, can someone post a link to this post in the hot deals thread that I posted above? I cant acutally post to the hot deals thread until I have 50 posts :mad:
 
Maybe your PSU is getting pushed to its max? You have alot of stuff in there clock to the gills to draw some juice, each 5850 alone is 180w, and that CPU at those voltages and clock is gotta be another 100-150w, maybe more. Add in the ram, 6 HDs and you have to be pushing 600-700w, making it so you might be pushing that PSU for all its worth so it might be it that is squealing sound you are hearing.
 
Thanks for the response. I have definitely listened to the specific places that I hear the high pitched noises. Its not my PSU. I can hear the cards individually as I load them.
 
If the problem was not enough power, the sound would be coming from the video cards, not the PSU. Easy way to check is to remove one card, put on full load, and see if the remaining card squeels.
 
Wouldn't loading one card at a time and listening for sound be the same? I've done that and noticed that one card squeals louder than the other.
 
did you just disable one card, or physically remove it from the system before testing?
 
I've had capacitors make a high pitched noise in my system only when folding and futuremark. This was on my gtx 275 so it could be the same or it could be something else.

Its has done this throughout its entire life just to let you know.
 
This is pretty much what I was looking to hear. Although the sound is annoying, I just want to know if my cards will last a little while. Thanks
 
Back
Top