D
Deleted member 174368
Guest
So I'm a proud new owner of a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850. Suffice to say, was pretty excited to upgrade from a Geforce GTX 260 Core 192, and spent an entire day running benchmarks on both video cards. Decided to show you guys what this card can do on a more modest (i.e. non Core i7) system.
I know it's completely unnecessary, but I like seeing raw data since any new tech is subject to the placebo effect
System:
AMD Phenom 2 X3 720 @ 3.2GHz
2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz 6-6-6-18
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
Every game was tested at 1920x1080 4xAA, with the exception of Crysis (2xAA), and max settings. I used the variable benchmark in SF4 and RE5; everything else was in-game gameplay.
A bit on these numbers.
Red Faction: This game never performed well for me, but the increase in average FPS really smoothed out the gameplay. I'm guessing this is a CPU limited title, as my results from increasing the AA to 8x actually slightly improved the average FPS (to 27-28). It makes no sense, but this was recorded over 3 different gameplay sessions.
Street Fighter 4: Obviously CPU limited. Increasing the AA to 8x resulted in an average of 72 FPS.
Resident Evil 5: Possibly, again, CPU limited, but I'm going to echo the HardOCP review. There's a hilariously overdone HDR effect in Stage 3, which lowers the average considerably. Other than that, it's pretty smooth. Increasing AA to 8x resulted in an average of 71.5 FPS, which is better than the GTX 260 at 4xAA.
Crysis Warhead: Results speak for themselves. The game went from chug-fest to playable. It's quite amazing and it was the most dramatic improvement. I'm definitely going to replay this soon.
Need for Speed Shift: Weird, no? How can the 260 best the mighty 5850 in this game? I guess AMD was right about the 5800 series not performing optimally here. I could never beat the 260 average of 65 with my 5850, however, increasing the AA to 8x only brought down the average FPS to 57-58. In other words, free 8xAA on the 5850. The 260 tanked at these settings, but sadly I didn't record the data.
Dawn of War 2: Unfortunately I didn't benchmark this with the 260 either, but the in-game benchmark tool with the 5850 averaged at 50 FPS. In a 20 minute 3v3 match at Angel Gate, my recorded results were 41 FPS. Not too far off. It's much, much smoother with the 5850, however; while the 260 would delve into the lower teens, minimum FPS for the 5850 was 26.
---
To conclude, while the initial results might be disappointing to say the least, it has plenty of stretching room regarding video settings, especially AA. In fact, using Adaptive AA, I observed virtually no performance loss.
Regardless, I'd say hold on to your current 4870/260 if you don't have a blazing fast CPU to go with a 5850/5870 until a game that really pushes the GPU is released
I know it's completely unnecessary, but I like seeing raw data since any new tech is subject to the placebo effect
System:
AMD Phenom 2 X3 720 @ 3.2GHz
2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz 6-6-6-18
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
Every game was tested at 1920x1080 4xAA, with the exception of Crysis (2xAA), and max settings. I used the variable benchmark in SF4 and RE5; everything else was in-game gameplay.
A bit on these numbers.
Red Faction: This game never performed well for me, but the increase in average FPS really smoothed out the gameplay. I'm guessing this is a CPU limited title, as my results from increasing the AA to 8x actually slightly improved the average FPS (to 27-28). It makes no sense, but this was recorded over 3 different gameplay sessions.
Street Fighter 4: Obviously CPU limited. Increasing the AA to 8x resulted in an average of 72 FPS.
Resident Evil 5: Possibly, again, CPU limited, but I'm going to echo the HardOCP review. There's a hilariously overdone HDR effect in Stage 3, which lowers the average considerably. Other than that, it's pretty smooth. Increasing AA to 8x resulted in an average of 71.5 FPS, which is better than the GTX 260 at 4xAA.
Crysis Warhead: Results speak for themselves. The game went from chug-fest to playable. It's quite amazing and it was the most dramatic improvement. I'm definitely going to replay this soon.
Need for Speed Shift: Weird, no? How can the 260 best the mighty 5850 in this game? I guess AMD was right about the 5800 series not performing optimally here. I could never beat the 260 average of 65 with my 5850, however, increasing the AA to 8x only brought down the average FPS to 57-58. In other words, free 8xAA on the 5850. The 260 tanked at these settings, but sadly I didn't record the data.
Dawn of War 2: Unfortunately I didn't benchmark this with the 260 either, but the in-game benchmark tool with the 5850 averaged at 50 FPS. In a 20 minute 3v3 match at Angel Gate, my recorded results were 41 FPS. Not too far off. It's much, much smoother with the 5850, however; while the 260 would delve into the lower teens, minimum FPS for the 5850 was 26.
---
To conclude, while the initial results might be disappointing to say the least, it has plenty of stretching room regarding video settings, especially AA. In fact, using Adaptive AA, I observed virtually no performance loss.
Regardless, I'd say hold on to your current 4870/260 if you don't have a blazing fast CPU to go with a 5850/5870 until a game that really pushes the GPU is released
Last edited by a moderator: