5850 vs 2x5750

StoneTZ

Under the Man's Thumb...waaaaaa!
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
737
Ok I can get a 5850 for $300

or I can get

2 5750's for $200

I've got eyefinity monitors my question is which is better?

Am I missing anything by crossfiring those two?
Will I still need to buy the active adapter with the 5750's or will it work alright because I've got more outputs?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been posted, tried search.
 
Get the 5850. It's always a better idea to get one fast card instead of two slower cards just so you can avoid the multi-card issues that Crossfire / SLI bring with them.

Even if you did buy two cards, you'd still need the $100 adapter if you need 3x DVI.
 
thanks for the reply guys. I'll go with the 5850 or 5870. Might wait a little more for stock / prices to drop.
 
The 5870 is a big waste of money unless you don't overclock.

The 5770 is exactly half of the 5870, but the 5750 is a bit less than half of the 5850. The 5750 does have half the SPs (720/1440), TMUs (36/72), and ROPs (18/36), but it has 25MHz less on the core clock, so it does make sense that the 5750 CrossFire isn't as impressive as the 5770 CrossFire.
 
Else than what the guys said, you're gonna save more power on just a 5850.
 
yeah was thinking that too, easier cooling, simpler etc.
 
Just google-ing up some quick benchmarks like http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5750-review-crossfirex/16...it looks like the single 5850 will outperform the CF 5750's. As far as eyefinity goes, I don't think it works like that, I think you would still need an adapter to split the output on one of the cards.

Way to choose THE ONLY benchmark from that whole article where the 5750 Xfire was beat by the 5850. Every other benchmark in that whole article shows the 5750 xfire matching, or beating the 5850, and even several where they beat the 5870 as well. Now, I would suggest getting a 5850 over 2x5750's as well, but selectively choosing the only benchmark that shows what you want it to is not a good way to help the OP with the choice.
I would get the 5850 simply because it takes up a single slot, and won't use as much power as 2x5750 and you can upgrade to a second 5850 later if you have the money. (note- I'm running 2x5750 because I had a 5750 given to me and I bought a second).
EDIT- it also puts out less heat to have a single card than to have 2 in xfire
 
Last edited:
If I could of avoided buying the active adapter I'd go for 2x5750.
I'm going to resell whatever I buy when I upgrade.
I live in Chile and the electronics cost a lot more so I can profit on an upgrade, it's weird. Figured it's also easier to vender a single card than 2 but it might be easier with the 5750's because they're cheaper.. hmmm.

Great advice all around, I might let the price settle it in the end though.

Thanks again.
 
No prob, and good luck in buying and selling :) I imagine you'll be pretty darn happy either way.
 
Way to choose THE ONLY benchmark from that whole article where the 5750 Xfire was beat by the 5850. Every other benchmark in that whole article shows the 5750 xfire matching, or beating the 5850, and even several where they beat the 5870 as well. Now, I would suggest getting a 5850 over 2x5750's as well, but selectively choosing the only benchmark that shows what you want it to is not a good way to help the OP with the choice.
I would get the 5850 simply because it takes up a single slot, and won't use as much power as 2x5750 and you can upgrade to a second 5850 later if you have the money. (note- I'm running 2x5750 because I had a 5750 given to me and I bought a second).
EDIT- it also puts out less heat to have a single card than to have 2 in xfire

I really didn't look at the other benchmarks. I instinctively just go for what I feel is the most demanding game in the benchmark lists and take a look. I figured I would leave it up to the OP to do some research. In the end, it's his decision, not ours. All we can do is point him in (what we think is) the right direction. I honestly didn't know that was the only one that it outperformed in, oh well. If it was me trying to decide I would have made sure to look at the others. :p
 
Yeah- I understand how that goes- I wouldn't have even thought about it except that I got a 5750 as a gift and did some research to see if I should just get a second one, or what. I hope I didn't come off too harsh- just wanted to point it out;-)
 
Nah, after some of the things I've read on the forums today...your post was quite docile. :p I just really didn't go in depth into the search. That was one of the first results on google, and I just went straight for the crysis bechie.
 
I'm willing to bet that the 5850 produces stronger mins and no microstuttering relative to the XFired 5750s, which puts the 5850 "ahead" any day of the week.
 
Lost 2 monitors in the earthquake though so eyefinity is on hold haha.
 
Curious flyinfinni, why don't you do some benchmarks on your system for the OP and post them here. I'm sure it would be helpful for him to see some real-world usage. Also, what games have you played on your setup and do you know what average FPS you get?
 
get the 5850 and add another once you need to. Just because they are comparible right this moment doesn't mean that they will be practical a bit from now. You'll end up having to sell those mediocre cards for MUCH less than what you payed for just to upgrade sooner anyways.

5850 for longevity
 
Why compare them? You should compare 3 5750s in X-Fire and 1 5850. Same price. Drivers won't be too pleasant though in that situation.

But honestly, I would just wait for Fermi, and see the market get more competitive.
 
Back
Top