• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5850 Vantage score.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
Buddy of mine picked up a 5850 to replace his dual 4850 setup. His Vantage score was about 10K which is about the exact same as his dual 4850 setup but this seems low to me? He has an E7200 @ 3.6ghz and 4g of Ram on a P45 board. He overclocked 775/1100 and pulled a hair over 11K on Vantage. Does this seem right?
 
it is the cpu, look at the gpu score and run the vantage at the highest resolution that is available to him, and than compare it to the 4850 if he can, and than match the gpu score if you see a big difference than it is the cpu that is limiting, not to be rude or anything but I wouldn't really put the 5850 with anything less than e8000 series running at 4ghz.
 
My sad pathetic Phenom I at 2.8ghz with my new 5850 only ran 11300 in Vantage. I can't get 3dmark06 to run. OpenAL errors and stuff.
 
it is the cpu, look at the gpu score and run the vantage at the highest resolution that is available to him, and than compare it to the 4850 if he can, and than match the gpu score if you see a big difference than it is the cpu that is limiting, not to be rude or anything but I wouldn't really put the 5850 with anything less than e8000 series running at 4ghz.

lolwut?

OP, I know the 5850 gives the GTX 285 a run for its money, but so does crossfired 4850 until the memory/bandwidth becomes a limitation so keep that in mind. The crossfired setup is pretty close in performance to a single 5850.
 
lol. I didn't know he said it was it was the same as his dual hd 4850, my bad missed the dual part, lol. than I don't know why his friend thinks that its low, shit doesn't it have less shaders than the two 4850's combined, than that is pretty good. but it is true though I mean he should be getting more than 11k with a 5850, I get 17k with my 5870, thats with a quad core running at 4.1ghz q9550, I mean the 5870 is not that much faster than the 5850, it is the cpu that is boosting the score.
 
Strange, I thought a 3.6ghz E7200 would pull better then ~10K. He overclocked and it beats out the 4850's in crossfire. He really needs a quad I guess.
 
I was thinking of offering him my 5870 for his 5850 and some $ then I would just get a 2nd 5850 and crossfire them. Crossfire 5850's be faster then a single 5870 @ 1920x1200?
 
I was thinking of offering him my 5870 for his 5850 and some $ then I would just get a 2nd 5850 and crossfire them. Crossfire 5850's be faster then a single 5870 @ 1920x1200?

Definitely, considering how much more you will be paying.
 
[L]imey;1034725576 said:
My sad pathetic Phenom I at 2.8ghz with my new 5850 only ran 11300 in Vantage. I can't get 3dmark06 to run. OpenAL errors and stuff.

Did you install OpenAL ?...

OP: 3dmark favors dual card setups. Also, I don't think it's entirely surprising that a 5850 runs like a 4850x2. This was true for 5870 vs. 4870x2.
 
Yeah I installed open AL and got some other bug about some command line not being available.
 
Yeah that sounds about right. I got an Asus 5850 running 1000 core 1150 mem and only get 11832 in vantage default. Running core duo 6850 at 3.83 ghz, 680i mobo, 2 gigs ram. on gpu score i get 16422, cpu score i get 6345.
 
Kind of does seem like a low score.

My HD4770s in Xfire were able go close to 16,000 for the performance Vantage test.

Vantagehighscorehd4770.JPG


I've seen single HD5850s score of almost 18,000.
 
Kind of does seem like a low score.

My HD4770s in Xfire were able go close to 16,000 for the performance Vantage test.

Vantagehighscorehd4770.JPG


I've seen single HD5850s score of almost 18,000.
yeah but look at your cpu score. I think vantage averages the cpu score and gpu score to get the final score. The thread starter got a dual core cpu like me and prob only get around 6000 cpu score, thus if he get around 16000 gpu score and a 6000 cpu score, the average is going to be around 11000 vantage score. THink its time to upgrade to i5 lynnfields...
 
yeah but look at your cpu score. I think vantage averages the cpu score and gpu score to get the final score. The thread starter got a dual core cpu like me and prob only get around 6000 cpu score, thus if he get around 16000 gpu score and a 6000 cpu score, the average is going to be around 11000 vantage score. THink its time to upgrade to i5 lynnfields...

Which is why 3dmark is worthless.

Cant play it, cant beat it. why even use it?
 
5850 is a beast. I would think the 4850x2 2gb card would be faster though. Usually two "equivalent" old gen cards will beat it's new gen brother. The history of video cards has shown this.
 
5850 is a beast. I would think the 4850x2 2gb card would be faster though. Usually two "equivalent" old gen cards will beat it's new gen brother. The history of video cards has shown this.



No. Single HD5850 should be able to beat a 4850x2. Just a matter of tunning the total RIG correctly with the right drivers and right CCC settings. Takes time to dial a video card to perform well with different games and benchmarks. This is why in the Catalyst Control Center it allows to save profiles for different games.

HD5850 is a monster, faster and cooler than HD4850x2.
 
Kind of does seem like a low score.

My HD4770s in Xfire were able go close to 16,000 for the performance Vantage test.

You got a 16k score because you are running an overclocked quad at 4+ghz and the OP is running a dual-core.

Did you actually think you were posting relavent information ("Kind of does seem like a low score.":rolleyes:) or just can't pass up another chance to pimp your CPU inflated benchmarks of your slow videocards?

There is no reason a 4850x2 setup wouldn't be on par with a single 5850 just like a 4870x2 is neck and neck with a 5870.
 
5850 is a beast. I would think the 4850x2 2gb card would be faster though. Usually two "equivalent" old gen cards will beat it's new gen brother. The history of video cards has shown this.

It does have the 2GB going for it. However that 2GB of RAM is not as fast. I still think the HD5850 could beat it.
 
It does have the 2GB going for it. However that 2GB of RAM is not as fast. I still think the HD5850 could beat it.

It's accually 1GB per card. The overall does not utilize 2GB.

Please stop posting stuff you have no idea about.
 
Im aware my cpu score is low, but I'm not complaining about my overall vantage score. Look @ the card score itself - most other scores I see have people at a minimum 13k from a 5850, not 10k, even with phenom's clocked lower than the q6600 (not phenom 2's) as it stands, my in-game performance w/ the 5850 is barely higher than the 8800gt I upgraded from.
 
Im aware my cpu score is low, but I'm not complaining about my overall vantage score. Look @ the card score itself - most other scores I see have people at a minimum 13k from a 5850, not 10k, even with phenom's clocked lower than the q6600 (not phenom 2's) as it stands, my in-game performance w/ the 5850 is barely higher than the 8800gt I upgraded from.

What res are you playing at? At 1680X1050, a slower CPU will show definite bottle necking. There has been another thread where another person who upgraded to a 5870 had much lower than expected performance, and the general consensus has been that the drivers are still holding the cards back, and even severely limiting them on certain set-ups. Also, go through CCC and see if things like V-Sync or SuperSampling AA are enabled. Those will have a major effect on benchmark scores.
 
Back
Top