5850 Temps with new cooler

arcsum68

Limp Gawd
Sorry guys, I see a lot of information on overclocking temps not too much on stock. I have not overclocked my card or done anything to it as it plays the games I like well enough to please me and my time these days is limited.

My 5850 fan started grinding so I fired up Hardware Monitor to make sure things were ok, but as the noise got worse I decided I had better do something about it.

Did a bit of research and ended up deciding I didnt need much more than stock would provide and didnt want to spend $50 on a cooler and Arctic Cooling has always served me well.

Anyway, I ended up buying an Accelero L2 Plus for under $30 and have been nothing but disappointed. After 4 hours the thermal paste was not even close to setting up, and I had been reading that other people left the stock cooling plate on so I pulled them off and clean ed up as much of the goop as I could and put the stock plate on with the Accelero L2.

I have more tools installed than I started with so I dont have much to compare before and after with, but they are definitely higher that they used to be. On top of that Hardware Monitor has a pretty big difference between the 2 temps with one being 60 and the other being 85.

I was hoping someone could take a look and either tell me if I should be worried or not, I think its pretty hot, but I have read many people say these can go pretty hot.

I have bumped the fan speed up to 100 and it really made no difference.

Screenshot

I don't know much about the cooler but it doesn't look all that great. Your positive its installed properly? And what do you mean the paste has not settled? Did you remove the cooler and check? I hope you re-applied new paste if you did. Also the paste it come with is MX-2 which is good stuff. Is there a heatsink covering the VRM's? 85 isn't going to hurt the card but that is pretty high for having an aftermarket cooler. I assume your case has good airflow?

The cooler itself had a strip of TIM on the heatsink itself and I did not touch that, I was referring to all the individual heatsinks that were supplied to attach to the ram and vram chips. They give you a 2 part thermal glue that you are supposed to mix up and the you glue them to the chips. Problem is some of the vram modules are tiny and you are supposed to attach a heatsink to it.

Temps are pretty much the same with the case open.

And yes, it's installed correctly, I think it just sucks.

I added a 120mm fan to the back of the hard drive cage, pointing right at the card and it dropped the temps by a full 10 degrees across the board. Kinda hoaky, but it will have to do for now, pretty dissapointed in that cooler and I would not recommend it to anyone.

On another note, anyone know why Hardware Monitor Pro has such a larger difference between the 2 temps it measures?

Back