5850 rant

nxcess

2[H]4U
I spent this past weekend putting together a new build for a friend. Ordered the XFX 650 PSU with the XFX 5850 gpu. After I got everything up and running, I started seeing weird screen glitches like part of the screen would show up at random spots overlaying the previous screen i.e. video corruption (didn't realize that til today). Normally happens when you're overclocking. This is on a stock card. It got to the point where I could leave the computer idle and come back to solid blue screen (not bsod) and only a hard reboot would get rid of it. I realize a few hours ago that turning the fan to 60% to keep the gpu under 70 degree would stop it from corrupting.

What the hell gives. It's late in the game already and any manufacturing defects in 5xxx series card should have been worked out by now. Why do I have to modified a brand new card to change the fan profile to keep it cool enough to even game on it.

//end rant

Are you using program like MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, or Everest? If you run multiple programs that poll the voltage regulator, Cypress chips will run into a conflict that makes the GPU run at 1.65v, which is .5v over stock levels. That would lead to issues like you're describing as the VRMs get really hot just sitting there.

Also, it's not like after a period of time GPU's are just magically free from defects.

Sounds like you need to either RMA it or return it to the store you bought it for a replacement/refund.

Are you using program like MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, or Everest? If you run multiple programs that poll the voltage regulator, Cypress chips will run into a conflict that makes the GPU run at 1.65v, which is .5v over stock levels. That would lead to issues like you're describing as the VRMs get really hot just sitting there.

Stock voltage for this 5850 is 1.098. That's for the 3d clock. Lower for the 2d clock. Check it with gpu-z and verified with RBE. Is that low?

Also, it's not like after a period of time GPU's are just magically free from defects.

Didn't mean to reference the gpu but the manufacturing of the cards itself and the bios. It's bad when the gpu temps reaches 74C and the fan is only sitting at less than 20%

Sounds like you need to either RMA it or return it to the store you bought it for a replacement/refund.

It's a build for a friend back in my home state. Gonna be going there this thanksgiving so no time for an RMA unless newegg is gonna 2 day cross-ship me another card by Weds. Still won't give me time to test the card out to make sure it works. It's temporary fixed with a modified fan setting in the bios.

Stock voltage for this 5850 is 1.098. That's for the 3d clock. Lower for the 2d clock. Check it with gpu-z and verified with RBE. Is that low?

That's the right voltage. Keep GPU-Z open for a while and watch the sensor page. It will log the voltage and you can see if it's overvolting or undervolting itself because of some conflict.

Didn't mean to reference the gpu but the manufacturing of the cards itself and the bios. It's bad when the gpu temps reaches 74C and the fan is only sitting at less than 20%
If the fan is not ramping up, use a program like Afterburner to create a custom fan profile. You have full control, so you can have it stay quiet when idle but ramp up when needed. There is definitely an issue if it's not raising itself and you don't have manual control locking it at 20%.

Happens on GTX280 and I would assume 65nm 260 which has the same vrms as Cypress.

QFT

Back