• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5850 Random Heat Spikes

Drakcol

n00b
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
23
Important info:
Card: ASUS 5850
OCed to 870 / 1200
The OC has held rock solid for the past several months

My 5850 is randomly spiking heat wise there's really no other way to really describe it. Let's start at the beginning SOO my game have been crashing recently, all of them and for seemingly no reason. So I decided to run occt to see if errors are showing up.

It was doing just fine the fan was going at rough 50 percent and heat was around 78 degrees. Nothing to out of the ordinary there. Then for no reason what so ever my fan jumped to 100 percent heat jumped to 98+. I kinda panicked hit reset (set things back to default) and all returned to normal. To say the least I'm a little worried about my card .. and oddly enough this isn't how my games crash at all. When they crash the video just freezes and seconds later I get a driver recovered message.

So my question is does anyone know why the OC would start acting up now after months of working fine and in such a strange sporadic way? Is the drivers at fault? Are my gpu's parts melting down? Is my 5850 going suicidal on narcotics? I really have no idea.
 
I would reapply new tim to the gpu with something alittle better then factory spec and also clean the dust out more offen and adding a fan close to the card to help aid in cooling it.. aftermarket cooling may be needed but if it's a ref cooler it should handle it fine at HD5870 clocks..
 
I think I've found the issue, not with my games crashing but with the random heat spikes. The spikes only occur when gpu-z is running. I can safely run furmark or occt for hours but once i open up gpu-z within minutes my gpu's heat spikes to ridiculous numbers. There might be some sort of conflict between gpu-z and afterburner 2.1 beta 2 that or one of those programs are installed incorrectly.

@fanboy how do you reapply tim and does it help that much?
 
Back
Top