• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5850 noisier than 5870 while playing games?

Sparrow_69

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
776
Recently took a look at the 5850/70 review over at PCGH. More specifically their chart here: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...viewed-The-DirectX-11-bargain/Reviews/?page=3

The 5850 (which all reviews mention it be quieter than the 5870) actually seems to be noisier than the 5870 when playing GRID. The 5850 does however seem to be quieter when running Furmark. Does this make sense? Hard to compare to other reviews, since they usually take sound measurements while running furmark. I believe this is the only review i've seen that compare sound readings when gaming vs furmark.

The only explanation I can think of would be the following: 5870's beefier cooler keeps it cooler than the 5850 when the gpu isn't stressed to the max, but the extra heat generated in furmark causes the fan to have to speed up more.
 
Yeah, but can you achieve furmarks fanspeeds during gaming?

In the Saharan summer?

Outdoors?

During a sandstorm?
 
I upgraded from a 4850 and I haven't noticed any increase in noise. These cards run pretty cool and have really nice heatsinks. I doubt noise will be an issue unless you run the fan speed at 60+ %
 
Back
Top