5850 clock error

Oscar Meyer

Limp Gawd
I've been getting this wierd behavior from my Asus 5850. I'll play a game for about an hour and a half, and then the game will start to stutter excessively. I'll close the game out and then notice that in Afterburner, the clocks are pegged at 400/900 core/mem. It stays that way whether I return to playing a game or sit on desktop. If I return to a game, the stuttering is no longer there but it just runs at slower speed respective to 400/900. I have it overclocked for normal operation at 950/1200 @1.262v. Temps never get above 75C. It's happened in COD 6, Dragon Age, and Company of Heroes. Usually happens a little over an hour. Only way to get it to work normally again is a reboot. Using the 9.12 beta 4 drivers.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6865/captureze.jpg

You guys think this is some kind of downthrottling due to memory errors? doesnt make sense cause temps are ok and if it does throttle wouldnt it throttle lower? Normal downclocking in desktop is 157/300.Any input is appreciated.

I'm having a simular issue, but only after running the Heaven benchmark. I'm using the ASUS bios and afterburner 1.4 875 / 1200 @ 1.162 volts.

I remember there was something implemented in Afterburner 1.4 that allowed one to bypass CCC overclocking limits but also screwed around with PowerPlay. Just throwing this out there, but this issue could be what's causing your problems. If not, it might be the beta drivers, have you tried going back to the 9.11 Cats?

Throttling.

Increase the voltage or fan speed, or decrease the core frequency. You need the core to either run cooler, or at the same temperature but with more voltage.

I don't think mine is throttling, it doesn't go above 85 and will go right back to OC clocks when I start a game again, it just wil not return to idle speeds. I will look at adjusting my fan speeds see if I can keep it cooler.

At Sock I got a grey screen crash and stuck at 3D speeds

Description:
Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

VRM 1 @ 61
VRM 2 @ 62
VRM 3 @ 63
GPU 1 @ 71
GPU 2 @ 75
GPU 3 @ 71

OC 875 1200 @ 1.162

VRM 1 @ 67
VRM 2 @ 68
VRM 3 @ 68
GPU 1 @ 76
GPU 2 @ 81
GPU 3 @ 76

Finished the benchmark no issues.

It may be a driver issue as it doesn't happen all the time.

I seem to get the clock issue if I run 3d in a window or video in a window, but not every time.

Last edited:
Back