5850 benchmark problems

RyanH

Limp Gawd
I received my sapphire hd5850 reference design last week. I've overclocked it a little bit but mostly I've been just benchmarking it at stock settings to see if I get any artifacts or errors. I ran Furmark for about 6-7 hours and the temps went up to about 87C and I couldnt see any artifacts. I ran Unigine Heaven benchmarks with normal tesselation for a few hours and that appeared to run fine. I ran 99 loops of Crysis benchmark no problem. I played a few hours of Dirt 2 without issue. Then I played Mass Effect 2 for a few hours without a hitch. I ran into some issues with a couple programs though.

- I ran 3d mark vantage a few times but I was getting some artifacts in the Jane Nash benchmark. The New Calico benchmark had some too I think but they weren't as obvious. I've heard these tests have been known to artifact on the ATI 5000 series cards is that true? I tried underclocking the memory and gpu clocks and raising the voltage to 1.1v and fan to max speed but the artifacts are still there. These vantage benches are the only times I have artifacting problems at least at stock

- I tried running 99 loops of the Far Cry 2 benchmark tool but for some reason I get an error around the 40th loop or so saying the benchmark can't finish.

- For the Unigine Heaven Demo the program crashed within a few seconds if I turn on wireframe mode with tesselation turned on. The website mentions this incompatibility with the ati 5000s so I'm not worried about it but I was wondering if anyone could get it to work?

I'll be getting another sapphire 5850 this week so I'll make sure to run it through the same gauntlet of tests that I've ran this one through but I just wanted to check with some of you guys to see if some of these issues are driver incompatibility or some other issue that is to be expected.

Last edited:
I've tried the 10.3a and 10.3 official drivers. My idle temps when power play (157/300) is on is around 50C is that pretty decent?

I've tried the 10.3a and 10.3 official drivers. My idle temps when power play (157/300) is on is around 50C is that pretty decent?

A bit high, I'm idling at 34-36C. I do have some good case fans though.

I received my sapphire hd5850 reference design last week. I've overclocked it a little bit but mostly I've been just benchmarking it at stock settings to see if I get any artifacts or errors. I ran Furmark for about 6-7 hours and the temps went up to about 87C and I couldnt see any artifacts. I ran Unigine Heaven benchmarks with normal tesselation for a few hours and that appeared to run fine. I ran 99 loops of Crysis benchmark no problem. I played a few hours of Dirt 2 without issue. Then I played Mass Effect 2 for a few hours without a hitch. I ran into some issues with a couple programs though.

- I ran 3d mark vantage a few times but I was getting some artifacts in the Jane Nash benchmark. The New Calico benchmark had some too I think but they weren't as obvious. I've heard these tests have been known to artifact on the ATI 5000 series cards is that true? I tried underclocking the memory and gpu clocks and raising the voltage to 1.1v and fan to max speed but the artifacts are still there. These vantage benches are the only times I have artifacting problems at least at stock

- I tried running 99 loops of the Far Cry 2 benchmark tool but for some reason I get an error around the 40th loop or so saying the benchmark can't finish.

- For the Unigine Heaven Demo the program crashed within a few seconds if I turn on wireframe mode with tesselation turned on. The website mentions this incompatibility with the ati 5000s so I'm not worried about it but I was wondering if anyone could get it to work?

I'll be getting another sapphire 5850 this week so I'll make sure to run it through the same gauntlet of tests that I've ran this one through but I just wanted to check with some of you guys to see if some of these issues are driver incompatibility or some other issue that are to be expected.

as for the wireframe with tesselation problem i have experience that too. but since it was benchmark didn't really bother with it at all. all my other game work great.

this mostly depends on your ambient. For me, my ambient is 30c day in day out living in the caribbean is nice :). but my ambient temp is about 48-50c.

Back