5850 and Win 7 64bit issues

jhodach

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 6, 2009
Messages
274
So I got my new rig up last night (core i5, gigabyte ud4p, 4gb, hx 750, X-Fi gamer and a xfx 5850) Now that I've got it all up and running I've run into a few issues I was hoping you guys could help me fix or at the very list minimize.

1.I simply cannot run Windows Experience Index. I've tried running it like 6 times and 5 times I've gotten this error: windows experience index for your system could not be computed and adding that this is due to an error being reported via the OS, driver or other component. Now the other time if failed, the message I received was something along of the lines of : couldn't find a video encoder/decoder or something like that and completely failed. My monitor would pretty much go black with brief flashes to the desktop and then black again. Only way to fix that was to do a system restart. So that's issue number 1

2.Cannot run the Heaven direct x 11 demo. I run it at defaults and it hangs... everytime. I can get the directx10 version to run. But I cannot get the directx11 or 9 for that matter to run. I've tried running as administrator as well to no avail

3.Futurmark's PC Vantage will not run. When I put in my trial key, it want's to scan my system 1st. But that fails everytime and it gives me a "COM SURROGATE" has stopped working error. So it won't scan my system, therefore, will not run the benchmark.

4.LARGE CURSOR!!!! I've had my rig up and running for about half a day now. And about 10 minutes (not an exact number by any means, just that it is soon after I restart everytime) after I've booted into windows, my cursor goes from regular size to elephant size. It's huge. The only way to get rid of it is to restart the system. I can't stand it.

5.Not really a issue for this forum (don't think anyways) I installed crysis as my 1st game to play. And about 5 minutes into playing I lose all sound effects. The music stays on but all sound effects (i.e. gun fire, talking and such) are gone. If I leave the game to go the game menu, they come back. Kind of a pain in the ass.

So these are my main issues I'm having so far with my new build. I'm wondering if any of the guru's on this site can give me some advice on how to fix these issues. They are really bothering my brand spanking new system. I hope most of these issues are fixable and not chalked up to "new operation system issues" and "new hardware" issues/drivers. This is the type of stuff that is killing PC's and PC games alike.... sorry for the little rant. Anyways I'll stop now and hope to read some responses on how to fix some, if not all, of these issues. Thanks.
 
Best bet is to look on the ati.amd.com forums, there is a link to amd gamer forums, something like that. Did you install the latest drivers? There were some issues with the early drivers, the big cursor is supposedly still a random issue, but some of the other problems might be a driver issue.

Here is a link to the latest drivers for win 7 64 bit and 5850/70
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

You might also try looking for a program like driver detective that will check to make sure your other drivers are up to date as well.

good luck.
 
It looks like you have several different things failing at the same time

All the things that don't work for you, work fine for me in Vista Ultimate x64 (I run the beta script to get DX11 installed in Vista)

I would try:

- Make sure you have everything updated. Windows 7 final, not beta, not RTM candidate. latest WHQL video driver, latest motherboard drivers, etc.

- Check basic system estability Prime95 or MemTest. If it fails, check memory, CPU and power supply. If stable start to look at the video card and the audio card

- Make sure your BIOS settings in the motherboard are standard, and you are not forcing Windows 7 into some odd-compatibility mode with off IRQ settings, having legacy items like COM1 enabled, SATA disks running in special modes, disabled power management modes, etc.

- Take X-Fi gamer audio card out and try motherboard sound, to see if the audio problem in Crysis is due to the X-Fi gamer, or to something else in the system

Good luck,
 
Tried that driver program. No such luck. Everything was up to date. And I'm using Win 7 home premium upgrade FINAL. The only things I changed in the bios were quickboot, switching to PCI express for my monitor, and got rid of the gigabyte post screen. Other than that, it's a fairly basic system. 750w power supply and just the one hard drive (raptor) and one dvd rom drive. 1st thing I did was download the motherboard drivers off gigabytes website and the ati drivers off of amd's website. Other than that, haven't done much. no overclocking, nothing special at all really. And how many tests should I run on prime to ensure stability?
 
What kind of memory at what speed? Can you try one stick at a time?
Seen kinda similar issues in the past that might point to memory.
 
Not problems with list items 1-4.

I have not played Crysis with HD5850.

Running ATI 9.11 beta drivers from the AMD server.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit RC build 7100.
 
That cursor problem is common. I suffer from the same thing. Some people claim that downloading AMD's GPU Clock Tool and manually setting your clocks (to anything, I guess) will fix it, but it didn't for me. The only thing that works for me is to turn on pointer trails for the mouse. Annoying but not as annoying as the huge cursor. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
 
Yeah I'd rather have the large cursor than the trails. Makes me think it's lag the whole time. Really distracting. I did try my old 8800gt in the same system to see if Windows experience index would work... and no such luck. Same error as before. Oh well. I can't really let any of this bother me. Well besides the large cursor, which seems to be a common problem anyways, the other stuff I wouldn't use on a daily basis. I've had no problems with anything else. I'll really find out how it all works when Modern Warfare 2 comes out.
 
You think that's bad? Try having MY (Sapphire) 5850 problem... the card doesn't go lower than 400MHz at idle and the memory remains at full speed so it's hot and loud.
 
Win 64 and the current batch of ATI drivers are pretty tempremental together.
It's functional, but there are a fair number of glitches. I've been running the final for months and I've had more issues with Win7 than I did with the Vista launch.
You might try using some of the previous ATI drivers that still support the 5850. The betas that launched the same day the card did never gave me any problems.
 
Yeah I've been thinking of checking out the beta 9.11's that are out. Other than that, I've just been dealing with that stuff not working and concentrating on the stuff that is.
 
If you use cat 9.9v the pointer problem goes away, well it did for me anyways.

Random lockups is still on going for me, all i get is wait for cat 9.11 to come out. Well the betas are not good so we well see if its fixed when they are released.

My system is very close to your

P55-ud4p
i5 750
Gskill 1600
Corsair 750
Sapphire HD 5850
WD Black 640

I guess we have to remerber this is all new
the OS the GPU the s1156

It will work out so we hope :)
 
I can't run the directx11 haven bench either on my 5850. I am not having any of the other issues that you are having. What was your previous card before the 5850? If you had a nvidia card I would suggest doing a fresh windows install.
 
Heaven benchmark hangs on my system too with a 5850. However, if I bump up the voltage to 1.162 then it runs fine. Makes me wonder if the card is undervolted for DX11.
 
Large cursor and video driver crash issue was fixed for me with a gigabyte ud4p bios update. Haven't tried the heaven dx11 benchmark since then though.
 
I did a fresh install. Yeah and I"m waiting for a "non" beta bios before updating. And I'm eagerly awaiting the new video card drivers. I'm sure they will be much better than the 9.10's.
 
Back
Top