• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5850 + 8800gtx for physx

static21

Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
524
Will be getting a 5850 soon in the mail, and currently have an 8800gtx.
My motherboard has 2 pcie slots, So i was wanting to use my 8800gtx as a physx card if its worth it.. So my question, is it worth it? Or should I just sell it? And will it work with the new 10.2 catalyst drivers?
 
Will be getting a 5850 soon in the mail, and currently have an 8800gtx.
My motherboard has 2 pcie slots, So i was wanting to use my 8800gtx as a physx card if its worth it.. So my question, is it worth it? Or should I just sell it? And will it work with the new 10.2 catalyst drivers?

Someone else can link it, but there is a hack to allow you to use the 8800GTX for physx or you could use an older driver that works fine doing the same thing. Unless physx is that big a deal to you, I like eye candy, sell it and have less headaches setting up the system to use physx with both ATI and Nvidia cards.
 
Someone else can link it, but there is a hack to allow you to use the 8800GTX for physx or you could use an older driver that works fine doing the same thing. Unless physx is that big a deal to you, I like eye candy, sell it and have less headaches setting up the system to use physx with both ATI and Nvidia cards.

+1, when you look what PhysX brings to the table, its seems very little and hardly worth the effort at least any time in the near future unless you blindly buy into the hype.
 
+1, when you look what PhysX brings to the table, its seems very little and hardly worth the effort at least any time in the near future unless you blindly buy into the hype.

For me, physx is more eye candy and a more realistic feel to the game. Would I do it(ATI+Nv) at the chance of stability, no. But I use mostly Nv cards so for me its a none issue. I do use and own some ATI cards, I have a 4870 in a game box, I just woldn't be bothered to go thru hassels.

I, like most people here, think Nvidia disabling PhysX on an Nvidia card for those who use an ATI card to render with is stupid, but I'm not JHH so.
 
There's a patch HERE(I forget which post it is though), which allows PhysX to be enabled when you are using ATI + Nvidia mix in Windows 7. Normally the NV drivers will disable PhysX when a different video card, other then Nvidia, is present.
I'm going to try it soon as my 5850 arrives, with the latest beta nv drivers just to see if it's even worth it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top