5800X3D running slow

Xa3phod

Limp Gawd
Just replace my 3900x with a 5800X3D. For some reason its not going over 3400Ghz, don't think its boosting. I know that is slow, the 3900x was around 4.4Ghz boosted. What setting did I miss. The ram is at 3200Ghz and running fine. No idea what to do. Thanks.

Yeah, max boost is 4.5Ghz, so definitely not boosting much if at all. If your temperatures and power are good, then check pbo. If you haven't loaded optimized defaults after swapping in the 5800X3D, do that too.

like nobu says load defaults
or reset your bios. also make sure your bios is up to date.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. There was a bios update for Vermeer I never installed because I was using the 3900x. That solved it.
easy peasy then eh. did it let you flash with it or did you have to swap back to the 3900?

easy peasy then eh. did it let you flash with it or did you have to swap back to the 3900?
No, it ran fine on the older bios, just wouldn't go over 3.4Ghz. Once I flashed it, worked perfectly. Just had to reset the pin on Windows.

Glad solved.
I am wanting to upgrade my 1700X to a gen 5000 CPU but can't determine the risks and backwards capability. BIOS description has no details and I see no one talking about these issues anywhere.
Specs are Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K7

Glad solved.
I am wanting to upgrade my 1700X to a gen 5000 CPU but can't determine the risks and backwards capability. BIOS description has no details and I see no one talking about these issues anywhere.
Assuming board rev.1, you want BIOS T51 or later: https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=6242

Note you may have to upgrade to an intermediary BIOS first, maybe a couple, and those may not support your current CPU.

Edit: Looks like that's not necessary, but there are a few things you need to do:
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40.
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.
3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, NO Bristol Ridge (AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ X4 series) APU support.

Last edited:
Glad solved.
You could buy a new MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max on newegg for $99 , they seem to be built like the Tomahawk with Heat Sinks for x5950 /x5900 power usage, grab a cheap Ryzen 5600 if you want to taste the speed first.

Assuming board rev.1, you want BIOS T51 or later: https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=6242

Note you may have to upgrade to an intermediary BIOS first, maybe a couple, and those may not support your current CPU.

Edit: Looks like that's not necessary, but there are a few things you need to do:
Hey thanks. Glad to see they didn't drop Zen1 support and only that achient bristol Ridge crap that no one bought. The thought of loosing CPU support mid upgrade gave me nightmares and probably would not have attempted it.

Hey Nobu, I thought i would say thanks for the help and give a little to posterity. I upgraded my X370 as per instructions and all is well.

Anyways folks I can't believe that this old of a platform was able, without any hack majik, to extend its life into a fairly competent machine with a simple upgrade. I am placing my vote for AM4 as the GOAT as far as that is concerned. Has there ever been a platform so popular, upgradeable and ultimately of high performance for so long? Opinions please.
I bought my 5700X for $280 CAN w/tax ($200 USD?) as I thought springing on a 5800X3D blew the budget on what I was trying to achieve on such an old system. I play at VR rez with my HP-G2 and don't think I am loosing out too much as currently I can't justify buying a GPU leap.

Last edited:
Back