5800x cooling question

fightingfi

2[H]4U
im thinking of going 5800x i was reading it needs some pretty good cooling something better than a 120 AIO or am i mistaken? I could add a 240 or a even a 280 in my case i beleive if needed. have you heard or know anything different from what ive read or can recommend. Tankies in Advanced :)

Some people have problems on Ryzen with cooling. I can say my $40 USD CPU cooler is working fine.
MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO
1607298754522.png

LOL it is the RGB one and I got it on sale 2 years ago with mail in rebate. $40USD. Just showing crap that it can cool a 5800X at high CPU clocks.

I have a Corsair H115i Platinum 280mm and running everything stock my 5800x was hitting 90*C with Cinebench and idling around 60 or so. I noticed the voltage would hover around 1.45v with any load.
I went and set the voltage to 1.25 and the clock speed to 4.6Ghz, idles around 40 and maxes at mid 70's.

Ok, that's super high idle so I'd guess there's something wrong with BIOS/default setting or the cooler itself. But! strong disclaimer here cooling performance can be hard to judge. On some motherboards with stock/default settings it'll reach thermal limits without any visible performance gain, if you tweak it yourself you may get way lower temps with same or even higher scores, and there is more than one way to tweak it ;) curve optimiser, lower PBO limits, all core oc with lower voltages etc. quite often people you compare to have done some tweaking.
High voltages in "normal tasks" can and will happen as it's usually one core, for brief moment and not that high power. For multi core benchmarks over longer period you'll see way lower voltages applied.

Ok, that's super high idle so I'd guess there's something wrong with BIOS/default setting or the cooler itself. But! strong disclaimer here cooling performance can be hard to judge. On some motherboards with stock/default settings it'll reach thermal limits without any visible performance gain, if you tweak it yourself you may get way lower temps with same or even higher scores, and there is more than one way to tweak it ;) curve optimiser, lower PBO limits, all core oc with lower voltages etc. quite often people you compare to have done some tweaking.
High voltages in "normal tasks" can and will happen as it's usually one core, for brief moment and not that high power. For multi core benchmarks over longer period you'll see way lower voltages applied.
My friends TUF X570 3900X setup was the same high temps with high core voltage stock. I lowered his to 1.25v as well and idle and load temps dropped significantly with the stock Wraith Prism. 100% load was hitting over 90*C, at 1.25v load temps dropped to mid 70's.
I did put an H100i into his machine as well since I had already ordered it before I found out about lowering the voltage, and I was hearing that the Wraith Prism wasn't all that good for the 3900X to begin with.

Zepher
There may be something else going on with high temperatures also. I can say only from experience and I owned 2600x/3600X/3600XT/3800X/3800XT/5800X and all idle in the High 20°C and stayed under 80°C on cheap $40USD CPU cooler. Either I am extremely lucky or something else is going on. there have been plenty of talk about higher temperatures on AMD Ryzen.

If you think I am picking on you or BS here some examples

2600X 29°C idle

3600X 30°C idle

3800X 28°C idle

5800X 29°C idle

Last edited:
im thinking of going 5800x i was reading it needs some pretty good cooling something better than a 120 AIO or am i mistaken? I could add a 240 or a even a 280 in my case i beleive if needed. have you heard or know anything different from what ive read or can recommend. Tankies in Advanced :)
Don't listen to gerardfraser. He won a silicon lottery. He got a golden chip. (I'm so jealous) He's been bragging about it all over the net.
5800X runs hotter than other 5000 series CPU, even hotter than 5950X. I would go with minimum of a good 240.

I did not get a Golden chip on 2600X/3600X/3600XT/3800X/5800X ,your out of your mind.

Don't listen to gerardfraser. He won a silicon lottery. He got a golden chip. (I'm so jealous) He's been bragging about it all over the net.
5800X runs hotter than other 5000 series CPU, even hotter than 5950X. I would go with minimum of a good 240.

There's no such thing as golden chip anymore lmao. You don't even have any way of quantifying it /facepalm.

did I also hit the lottery idling at 32-33C with intake air temps at 21C

did I also hit the lottery idling at 32-33C with intake air temps at 21C
With that kind of ambient temperature? What matters is the full load temperature while running a benchmark like Cinebench which can tax AVX.
There are a lot of 5800X having the same temperature issue as I did (90C), then there are those who don't. geradfraser's 5800X runs all cores at 4.6ghz while maintaining the full load temperature below 80C with a cheap cooling. If that's not a golden chip I don't know what that is.
I've tried 3 different coolings and many reseatings, but couldn't tame the full load temperature.

I bet if everyone checked there voltage on a stock NON messed with bios they would notice there voltages are probably different. If everyone set the voltage the same with the same cooler it would all be the same. the problem is all board manufacturers have different bioses and bioses have different stock settings. so everyone just has to stop worrying about their temperatures and double check to make sure everything in their bios is correct and if the voltage is too high then lower it. after that it should all even out. This is getting out of hand already. /Thread

With that kind of ambient temperature? What matters is the full load temperature while running a benchmark like Cinebench which can tax AVX.
There are a lot of 5800X having the same temperature issue as I did (90C), then there are those who don't. geradfraser's 5800X runs all cores at 4.6ghz while maintaining the full load temperature below 80C with a cheap cooling. If that's not a golden chip I don't know what that is.
I've tried 3 different coolings and many reseatings, but couldn't tame the full load temperature.
Were your voltages both the same? If not then the temperatures mean nothing.

Last edited:

Geralds numbers are not unattainable. Stop with this BS just because you have bad results it doesn't mean it's out of reach for others.

Geralds numbers are not unattainable. Stop with this BS just because you have bad results it doesn't mean it's out of reach for others.
I clearly stated there are 5800X with low temperatures.
Were your temperatures both the same? If not then the temperatures mean nothing.
No matter what I did, my 5800X instantly shot up to 90C. Every bios setting at default.

Zepher
There may be something else going on with high temperatures also. I can say only from experience and I owned 2600x/3600X/3600XT/3800X/3800XT/5800X and all idle in the High 20°C and stayed under 80°C on cheap $40USD CPU cooler. Either I am extremely lucky or something else is going on. there have been plenty of talk about higher temperatures on AMD Ryzen.

If you think I am picking on you or BS here some examples

2600X 29°C idle

3600X 30°C idle

3800X 28°C idle

5800X 29°C idle

It's just the voltage. I see on your setup voltage is 1.33v. Is your voltage set to auto or are you running a negative offset?

Using AMD Curve Optimizer on 5800X,everything is auto.
So that is CPU idle voltage is 1.5v= correct voltage with BIOS and Motherboard. After loading all cores with AVX load it should drop to 1.33v on CPU which would be correct voltage.

So basically the way Ryzen CPU works when all things are good to keep the electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom under control and within safe parameters will have a higher sustained boost clock

Last edited:
I mean there does seem to be variance chip to chip with temps.

My 3900x runs hotish with idle in the high 40s and prime 95 load in the mid 70s (xspc raystorm pro, d5, 3x140mm radiator). I had a 3600 and 1600af's that would idle in the 20s and 30s. I would imagine it has to do with machining and how well the IHS contacts the die, maybe concavity of ihs/waterblock is also playing a role?

I mean there does seem to be variance chip to chip with temps.

My 3900x runs hotish with idle in the high 40s and prime 95 load in the mid 70s (xspc raystorm pro, d5, 3x140mm radiator). I had a 3600 and 1600af's that would idle in the 20s and 30s. I would imagine it has to do with machining and how well the IHS contacts the die, maybe concavity of ihs/waterblock is also playing a role?

Anything could impact it. The heatspreader cuts often leaves burrs. Check your individual IHS and you'll see sharp burrs left behind. That obviously will impact contact. My 3900x idled real low mid 20s to 30s depending on season. This 5800x behaves exactly the same. The problem is that a lot of ppl don't have experience with the nuances and more often than not they over-estimate their cooling and just expect the unrealistic. Also, with the 5800x, it usually starts off unrealistic off the bat because they don't even realize that the 5800x only has 8 cores with which to spread it's 105w TDP. Compare this this to the 12 and 16 core chips which has to spread that 105w TDP across many more cores which means that each individual core is using less power, thus lower heat and power envelopes. The 5800x on the other hand will run hotter. That is in essence the whole point of getting a 5800x, it sits at a unique position in the stack in that it although only has 8 cores, it has the advantage of having substantially higher power limits per core than any other chip in the stack.

thesmokingman
Stop making fucking sensible comments,it is the internet don't you know.
Also I posted 4 videos all different AMD Ryzen CPU's. I owned 7 Ryzen CPU's all idle in the high 20°C and top out 80°C (overclocked)on the same $40 USD CPU cooler.I am CPU Cooler savant or I have had 7 Golden AMD Ryzen CPU's,to be fair my 3800XT Had to return because crashes in idle I could not fix.So I suck there but it was still normal.

After reading Gerard's posts on a couple of threads and I went and played with the curve optimizer in my UNIFY bios. On my 5800x I get multi-core boosts of 5049mhz (all-cores will be between 4900mhz and 5049mhz) and temps rarely get over 65c when gaming. This is on air with a Noctua DH-15. A solid 240 mm radiator aio would be perfect.

I also finally began to tweak the bios and curve optimizer. I have -35 on all cored except my best 2 cores are set to -15 and now I boost to 5050 single core and 4800ish all core, all on Noctua NH-D15. Temps rarely go above 70c in most benchmarks or gaming, BUT if I run prime95 small FFT, it goes to 90c within a few minutes.

That would probably be similar to a low/mid-range air cooler. Not ideal but it would operate at stock and probably not throttle under load. I wouldn't stress test though.

Last edited:
If you get the 5800x, I would throw the best cooling at it you can afford, but even then, it may still run hot:

If you get the 5800x, I would throw the best cooling at it you can afford, but even then, it may still run hot:

Hahaha ok ;) I saw few videos of this guy, lots of words not a lot of content.

Still if I could get 5800X for decent money I'd take it over 5600X and just use ECO mode if my cooling is not sufficient. It basically turns it in 8 core version of 5600X (or something like 5700X if AMD ever release it), sure it's overpriced but still better. Buying 6 core CPU 2020/2021 doesn't seems like the smartest way to do, even if all you do is gaming. Unless you plan to upgrade your CPU or system every year.
Or you can take 5900X if you can get it, but 5600X nah.

They 5800x I used for a while went straight to 90c under any heavy gaming or multi threaded workloads. All stock no OC. I used the Arctic 280MM AIO it will easily hit high 80s while playing COD or Cyberpunk. The loop I just built 2x360MM rads I had to crank up the fan and pump speed, then I started to lower the voltage and underclock to get it around 80-85c at 4.65ghz 1.25v. The 5900x is way cooler, it will do 4.8ghz at 1.3v and stays around 75c same loop. I think the 5800x just isnt as good as value and thermal wise as the 5600x and 5900x. Its imo probably the worse of the 4 chips released so far.

I have a 5800x and an X570 unify. Cooling it with a Thermalright FS140. I was having issues with PBO +200 and BSOD. by adding voltage I was able to be stable, but my overall clocks were low. I thought I had a dud chip. So I went with Curve Optimizer with no PBO, and at Negative 20 all core, I was able to score 6276 in CB R20. Temps stay at or around 80c.

I have another 5800x coming tomorrow, I'm going to play with that one too. See who can clock higher with PBO and be stable with no additional voltage, or whos better with CO.

http://www.thermalright.com/product/frost-spirit-140/ - these can be had on Aliexpress. I have an extra if anyone is interested though. I don't think I'll use it.

I don't think you can turn on curve optimizer without PBO, it's also called "PBO2". Did you mean you used it without increasing the clocks?

Everybody with zen3 should check out curve optimizer, it's really fantastic technology. I wish there were more guides to using it.

I tried to use PBO +200 on its own with no CO and no added voltage.. I would get over 5.0Ghz single thread in games. So that's why I was using it. But now I'm just using CO with no PBO +200. PBO is at 0

That'll work fine, you will probably still see higher sustained clocks and use less energy for lower temps too.

I have been testing PBO with the Curve optimizer the last few hrs on my 5900x. I can get up to 5150mhz with a negative 10-15 offset depending on the core. All core loads around 4.85 ghz. Temps are 5-7c lower than my manual overclock of 4.8 at 1.3. Seems like CO works quite well. Probably going to set it up on my SFF too and see whenever gigabyte makes that available.

I have been testing PBO with the Curve optimizer the last few hrs on my 5900x. I can get up to 5150mhz with a negative 10-15 offset depending on the core. All core loads around 4.85 ghz. Temps are 5-7c lower than my manual overclock of 4.8 at 1.3. Seems like CO works quite well. Probably going to set it up on my SFF too and see whenever gigabyte makes that available.
Hey im now thinking of going 5900x if i can get my hands on one. what cooler are you using and hows teh temps? plz also link the cpu cooler your using Tankies in Advanced :D

Still if I could get 5800X for decent money I'd take it over 5600X and just use ECO mode if my cooling is not sufficient. It basically turns it in 8 core version of 5600X (or something like 5700X if AMD ever release it), sure it's overpriced but still better. Buying 6 core CPU 2020/2021 doesn't seems like the smartest way to do, even if all you do is gaming. Unless you plan to upgrade your CPU or system every year.
Or you can take 5900X if you can get it, but 5600X nah.
Why would you need 5800x or better on GPU under GTX 2070 / 5700 XT if you can to explain me ? :)

Back