5800 Ultra and Doom 3

UltimaParadox

Supreme [H]ardness
For those of us that have this monstrosity, Doom 3 is easily playable at 800 x 600 High Quality, easily hitting 60fps constant, and drops to about 40ish when 3 or more "people" are on the screen. Making 1024 x 768 at high quality pretty nice, dropping down below 30 rarely.

One thing that concerns me is the fan, I still have the original stock cooler, and when the game starst up so does the fan. After about 10 15 minutes of playing the fan cuts off, and lets the temps rise up to a nice toasty 70+ C, this has got me worried a bit. I might try contancting BFG about it, since the fan speed is controlled by the driver anyways.

One more note...

When 2xAA and 4xAF were enabled I would get a Microsoft C++ error and imediately crash to desktop. I disabled both AA and AF, but since I just got the game I have yet to determine which one it is causing it. But you get definitre artifacts then a nice rainbow of colors before CTD.

id dump that thing on ebay and get a newer card....thats what i did with my fx5600; it was well worth it

carrot said:
id dump that thing on ebay and get a newer card....thats what i did with my fx5600; it was well worth it

I was planning to buy a new vid card this time around anyways. I would like to keep it though, it sort of like a novelty item

UltimaParadox said:
I was planning to buy a new vid card this time around anyways. I would like to keep it though, it sort of like a novelty item

Yea, like the Voodoo 5 6000

Dojo | Warlord said:
Yea, like the Voodoo 5 6000

Not sure if its quite as rare, but it's definetly an interesting piece of hardware, that will be remembered

Back