• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

580 SLI Problem

wsgroves

n00b
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
63
Hi guys.
Having problems with this setup and I am looking for any suggestions to get working.

Basically I am getting a bunch of texture corruption/game crashes when I enable SLI on this system. When I disable it, everything works great. I have switched cards and tried them one by one so I know they are both working individually.
Beating my head on the wall here trying to figure it out.

For instance, I may start up WoW. At the login screen, stormwind towers may be smeared and shaking them boom, screen goes black and I get display driver has stopped responding error. Happens in most games that I try SLI enabled with.

My system is as follows, any help would be appreciated.

i7@3.5
ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer Board with 6 gigs OCZ Ram
Thermaltake Toughpower TP-1350M 1350W PSU
ASUS GTX 580 SLI+8800gt physx
OCZ Revo PCIE SSD Raid 0 with win 7 x64 drive.
 
Hi guys.
Having problems with this setup and I am looking for any suggestions to get working.

Basically I am getting a bunch of texture corruption/game crashes when I enable SLI on this system. When I disable it, everything works great. I have switched cards and tried them one by one so I know they are both working individually.
Beating my head on the wall here trying to figure it out.

For instance, I may start up WoW. At the login screen, stormwind towers may be smeared and shaking them boom, screen goes black and I get display driver has stopped responding error. Happens in most games that I try SLI enabled with.

My system is as follows, any help would be appreciated.

i7@3.5
ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer Board with 6 gigs OCZ Ram
Thermaltake Toughpower TP-1350M 1350W PSU
ASUS GTX 580 SLI+8800gt physx
OCZ Revo PCIE SSD Raid 0 with win 7 x64 drive.

Your sig mentions an 8800GT for PhysX support. Remove it if you haven't already and try again.
 
You might wouldn't happen to have the PhysX card connected to the SLI bridge would you?
 
Nah, the SLI setup is in the first 2 and the physx is in the bottom slot. Even tried moving the slots around for the SLI. It was doing it a lot when I had them farther apart and I moved them together at the top and I thought that fixed it but its acting up again now.
 
Ok sry for the double post. Removing the 8800gt did not fix the problem. Played for about 5 mins and the monitor went black and kicked me out of the game.
 
Sorry if this redundant or "don't you think I thought of that" stuff, just trying to run down everything I can think of.

1. Are you SURE that the cards is seated properly? I've had issues with my 580s, they really required a good bit forcing to make sure they are seated properly. Had some similar issues to what you're having twice and each time reseating the cards did it. The second time I REALLY tighthened the bracket screws and that seems (knock on wood) to have prevent the issue again.

2. Test everything at stock speeds

3. Update motherboard BIOS
 
i would do a clean sweep of drivers. install those drivers again and test.

didn't nvidia just release new drivers?
 
I only mention this as I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but any chance it's the SLI bridge itself? If you have a spare (I do), I'd try it, just to remove that as a possibility. I'd hate to do a bunch more stuff and forget to consider this part.

This post made me think of it:

Nah, the SLI setup is in the first 2 and the physx is in the bottom slot. Even tried moving the slots around for the SLI. It was doing it a lot when I had them farther apart and I moved them together at the top and I thought that fixed it but its acting up again now.
 
I only mention this as I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but any chance it's the SLI bridge itself? If you have a spare (I do), I'd try it, just to remove that as a possibility. I'd hate to do a bunch more stuff and forget to consider this part.

This post made me think of it:

This would actually make a lot of sense. Are you using the ribbon bridge or a PCB one?
 
When I installed the new Intel released Version 9.2.0.1021 Chipset Software it crashed my 580 SLI set up..put it back the old way,everything working great...

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2...
 
When I installed the new Intel released Version 9.2.0.1021 Chipset Software it crashed my 580 SLI set up..put it back the old way,everything working great...

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2...

I would only install manufacturer approved updates.

I have a question, what does your MB manual recommend what slots to put your sli setup in?

My board tells me to put my SLI cards in slot 1 and 3. I wouldn't bother with a physx card at all. Your 580's in SLI wont need one.

Asus Rampage III Formula
 
Thanks for all the great replies all. I'll try some of them when I get home from work. First I will reseat the cards and install latest drivers.
I has to be something dumb like a connector of some sort.
I use the ribbon sli connector but I have the hard one for the 3x connector laying around somewhere. I will give it a try as well.
 
Also, there are new drivers out. 266.58

64 bit http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

Performance

* Increases performance for GeForce 400 Series and 500 Series GPUs in several PC games vs. the latest Release 260 drivers.

GeForce GTX 580:

o Up to 7% in Battlefield Bad Company 2 (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
o Up to 12% in Battleforge (SLI 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF Very High)
o Up to 11% in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (SLI 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
o Up to 7% in Dirt 2 (SLI 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
o Up to 7% in Far Cry 2 (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
o Up to 5% in Just Cause 2 (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF Dark Tower)
o Up to 5% in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (SLI – 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
o Up to 9% in Stone Giant (SLI 1920x1200, DOF on)
o Up to 8% in Unigine Heaven v2.1 (SLI 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
 
i recently installed it myself... i havnt tested it without my 3d yet, but my gpu load with 3d is 99%. before i would get around 60% load i believe.. but that was non 3d.

Also im only running one card atm have to rma this replacement card they sent me because its junk... would make a good paper weight.

Kinda sucks because stereoscopic 3d really needs a sli setup.

one card with 3d avg 30 fps in SLI 60 fps.

havnt read the no 3d single gpu fps. but SLI no 3d is around 100-170 fps.
 
Has nothing to do with drivers.

Sounds a lot like a defective bridge. I got green screen and random artifacts when I had a defective connector.
 
Well, with the new drivers 266.58 I was able to enable SLI and play the rift beta for 1.5 hours.
More testing to come.
 
i do notice like once in 30 min or so i get a green/purple dot flicker in bc2... but dissappears in a flash. even at stock clocks and higher voltages.

dont notice anything like that in other games like crisus.
 
i played some other maps and didn't notice it at all... perhaps its only the Heavy metal map in bc2.
 
May be mad, not sure.

I managed to play wow for an hour which always crashed. I am not going to say that it is fixed yet though. If it does it again I will switch out the bridge.
 
Ok yesterday I was messing around with Tera, and it started crashing. Restarted my pc and installed the new sli bridge and after that it worked ok. I'll give it a few and make sure everythings working better now.
 
do you run any overclocks, on the cpu or ram? if not.. you might just have a bad card.

I had a card that was bad that did that alot, took me awhile to figure out which one it was. One of the cards became more and more unstable with use and eventually just stopped working entirely in heavy 3D games like bc2
 
Not sure since it occurs in all games for you, else it sounds like you are trying to run an SLI enabled application in windowed mode. (Which you cannot)
 
Ok guys. I switched out the SLI connector a few days ago to the tri sli one that came with my board and I have not had a crash for a few days now.
I am guessing that was the problem, hopefully.
Will test for a few more days and let you know.

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top