• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5770 ?

MrXROK

Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
753
I just got the Phoenix version the other day. Currently have it clocked @ 1000 mhz @ 1.225 and 1400mhz memory.

So I started to test some games. The first GPU hungry game I tested was Crysis of course. Mind you I had GTX260 216SP @ 700/1512/1200 and a 9800gtx before all of this.

I set it up on high settings. It felt much faster than GTX260 216SP that would chuckle in the 30's average in high settings and around 18-20fps in very high settings @ 1080P. So I try very high settings. To my surprise this little of a card pushed nearly 30fps @ 1080P. That's like 50% faster in very intensive GPU situation. I would have never guessed that this little card could push that much fps.

Of course there are some drawbacks to this card. Other engines felt a bit slower like Bad Company 2. Other games with higher AA settings it would choke due to low bandwidth.

Metro 2033 felt a bit smoother as well. This card easily handled high settings with no AA @ 1080P.

With the voltage control this card can push a bit. I was fairly surprised. I don't game all that much except play BF2 at least until BF3 comes out but this card can handle almost good as the GTX 260 216SP I had.

Now this card needs game specific tweaker like Nhancer then I would be totally happy. What good is SSAA when I have to go back and forth with CCC control panel before a game to change settings.
 
Last edited:
Huh, and I thougth the GTX260 was faster.

In Xbitlab's original 5770 review (pre-10.3 drivers), the 5770 was faster than the GTX 260 in 7 out of 13 games. Most other review sites have the GTX 260 faster in like 6 out of 12 or 6 out of 10 so they're fairly close and trade blows a lot. There are a couple games the GTX 260 is just way faster in though.
 
I had a 5770. I loved it man. Nice stuff you got there, and +1 for ordovician
 
It seems to do well in shader intensive games like Crysis and few others. GTX 260 is more balanced though in many games. I'm not a PC GPU whore anymore although I used to be. This 5770 is a slick card no doubt but it's more in the range of GTS 250 than anything else although it overclocks well and come close to GTX 260 in many games.

I don't play too many games so I'm satisfied by the performance. However still need game specific tweaker like Nhancer. This is the biggest draw back switching from Nvidia to AMD.
 
It seems to do well in shader intensive games like Crysis and few others. GTX 260 is more balanced though in many games. I'm not a PC GPU whore anymore although I used to be. This 5770 is a slick card no doubt but it's more in the range of GTS 250 than anything else although it overclocks well and come close to GTX 260 in many games.

I don't play too many games so I'm satisfied by the performance. However still need game specific tweaker like Nhancer. This is the biggest draw back switching from Nvidia to AMD.

No way is the GTS250 in the range of the HD5770. And the GTX260 and HD5770 are quiet similar in performace, period (with the edge going to the GTX260 imo).

But comeon, the GTS250 is slower than the HD5750. Not sure how you even got it to the HD5770 range, when the HD5770 is clocked 20% higher and has 10% more shaders than its slower counterpart.
 
No way is the GTS250 in the range of the HD5770. And the GTX260 and HD5770 are quiet similar in performace, period (with the edge going to the GTX260 imo).

But comeon, the GTS250 is slower than the HD5750. Not sure how you even got it to the HD5770 range, when the HD5770 is clocked 20% higher and has 10% more shaders than its slower counterpart.

If you are talking about on average frame rate between multiple games perhaps you are right. GTS 250 is in more lines with 5750. But what are we talking about here between 5750 and 5770? 10-15% difference? There are many instances 5770 is no better than GTS250.

wolf-1920.gif


l4d-1920.gif


sacred2.gif


GTX 260 in other hand has consistency in many different games. On shader heavy or FP 16 blending texture specific games is where 5770 comes more closer to GTX260 216SP and sometimes surpassing it. The biggest drawback is obviously the bandwidth constraint. With 40% less bandwidth it just can't keep up with bigger cards.

The card is good but it's not worth what AMD is selling it today when I bought the older GTX 260 216SP 8 months ago for less than what I paid for the 5770 today. With the good overclocking ability it sweetens the deal however. I love the fact I can change voltage on the fly. All video cards should have this.
 
Last edited:
You can cherry pick results all you want. It doesnt change that the HD5770 and the GTX260 have more comparable preformance than the GTS250, which is more comparable to the HD4850 or HD5750.

I could post results of the HD5850 beating the GTX480 in some games. Shall I say the HD5850 is more comparable to the GTX480 than the GTX470?
 
If you are talking about on average frame rate between multiple games perhaps you are right. GTS 250 is in more lines with 5750. But what are we talking about here between 5750 and 5770? 10-15% difference? There are many instances 5770 is no better than GTS250.

GTX 260 in other hand has consistency in many different games. On shader heavy or FP 16 blending texture specific games is where 5770 comes more closer to GTX260 216SP and sometimes surpassing it. The biggest drawback is obviously the bandwidth constraint. With 40% less bandwidth it just can't keep up with bigger cards.

The card is good but it's not worth what AMD is selling it today when I bought the older GTX 260 216SP 8 months ago for less than what I paid for the 5770 today. With the good overclocking ability it sweetens the deal however. I love the fact I can change voltage on the fly. All video cards should have this.

Keep in mind 5770 reviews are quite old, and driver updates probably boosted performance atleast 20%.
 
You can cherry pick results all you want. It doesnt change that the HD5770 and the GTX260 have more comparable preformance than the GTS250, which is more comparable to the HD4850 or HD5750.

I could post results of the HD5850 beating the GTX480 in some games. Shall I say the HD5850 is more comparable to the GTX480 than the GTX470?

These aren't the only benches either. I could go on from multiple sources. There are half the games where 5770 comes close to GTX 260 and beats it some but GTX 260 216SP provides much bigger performance gap in the ones that do beat 5770 while providing much better minimum frame rates. I'm just trying to be realistic here after owning both cards.

bbc2.png


Just look at the minimum frame rate difference. This is where bandwidth really takes a plunge on the 5770 but not as much on 4890 or GTX 260.

farcry2.png


Here's another one. @ 1680 it hangs but @ 1920 minimum frame rates plunge while 4890 does not.

dirt2.png


Another where bigger cards with more bandwidth completely destroys the 5770.


m2033.png


Now here's a good example where 5770 prevails. With heavy shader and FP16 blending games but the difference isn't as great when GTX 260 > 5770. But I'm amazed by the Crysis numbers I was getting @ very high settings. I could easily play Crysis @ 1080P with the 5770 while I couldn't with the GTX 260.
 
Last edited:
Keep in mind 5770 reviews are quite old, and driver updates probably boosted performance atleast 20%.

Well look at the benches just up. These are more recent drivers and I don't see 20% gains.

Magic drivers does not replace bandwidth where 5770 severely lacks compared to bigger cards.
 
5770 is a great card for the $ up till 1680x1050 but beyond that it will really start taking a hit
 
Well look at the benches just up. These are more recent drivers and I don't see 20% gains.

Magic drivers does not replace bandwidth where 5770 severely lacks compared to bigger cards.

Just telling you what I experienced with mine,. Most games saw huge performance gains from driver releases.

Also how would you compare the 5770 to "bigger" cards? In your brain would you see the 5770 being faster then "bigger" cards? It's not one of those "bigger" cards and shouldn't perform as such.
 
Just telling you what I experienced with mine,. Most games saw huge performance gains from driver releases.

Also how would you compare the 5770 to "bigger" cards? In your brain would you see the 5770 being faster then "bigger" cards? It's not one of those "bigger" cards and shouldn't perform as such.

Like 20%? From what I'm seeing from the date of release and recent drivers I'm not seeing much performance difference from the benchmarks I've seen. Provide some evidence of this 20% better performance which you claimed over drivers in all the benchmarks I've linked to. Other wise you don't have much credibility. Either your own benchmarks or web site would be good.

In this thread " bigger cards" were labeled as GTX 260, 4890, including your 5830.. with more bandwidth by me which you took it out of context to derail a thread.. I suppose that's what you have to sometimes when you don't have any credibility.
 
Like 20%? From what I'm seeing from the date of release and recent drivers I'm not seeing much performance difference from the benchmarks I've seen. Provide some evidence of this 20% better performance which you claimed over drivers in all the benchmarks I've linked to. Other wise you don't have much credibility. Either your own benchmarks or web site would be good.

In this thread " bigger cards" were labeled as GTX 260, 4890, including your 5830.. with more bandwidth by me which you took it out of context to derail a thread.. I suppose that's what you have to sometimes when you don't have any credibility.

I know the 10.3 preview drivers (10.3a) provided a significant fps boost for the higher cards in the 5xxx line:
http://widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/WS_and_WTH_Benchmarking_-_Radeon_HD_5870_1GB_Driver_Comparison

I don't know whether the 10.3 drivers xbitlabs used in their 5830 review were the 10.3 preview drivers (which were called the performance drivers by AMD) or just the regular 10.3 drivers (which didn't have the big performance boosts). So I don't know where to find 5770 benches on 10.3 preview or 10.4 drivers.
 
Like 20%? From what I'm seeing from the date of release and recent drivers I'm not seeing much performance difference from the benchmarks I've seen. Provide some evidence of this 20% better performance which you claimed over drivers in all the benchmarks I've linked to. Other wise you don't have much credibility. Either your own benchmarks or web site would be good.

In this thread " bigger cards" were labeled as GTX 260, 4890, including your 5830.. with more bandwidth by me which you took it out of context to derail a thread.. I suppose that's what you have to sometimes when you don't have any credibility.

It still stands that the newer drivers have significantly improved the real-world gameplay experience on the 5770. Numbers don't mean much.
 
I know the 10.3 preview drivers (10.3a) provided a significant fps boost for the higher cards in the 5xxx line:
http://widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/WS_and_WTH_Benchmarking_-_Radeon_HD_5870_1GB_Driver_Comparison

I don't know whether the 10.3 drivers xbitlabs used in their 5830 review were the 10.3 preview drivers (which were called the performance drivers by AMD) or just the regular 10.3 drivers (which didn't have the big performance boosts). So I don't know where to find 5770 benches on 10.3 preview or 10.4 drivers.

Xbit benches few posts above are using 10.3 drivers.
 
It still stands that the newer drivers have significantly improved the real-world gameplay experience on the 5770. Numbers don't mean much.

So with lower minimum and average frame rates is better real-world gameplay experience?
 
Xbit benches few posts above are using 10.3 drivers.

Right but there were 10.3 drivers, 10.3 'performance' drivers (10.3a) and 10.3b drivers with I think bezel management. Basically 3 different versions of the 10.3 drivers and 10.4 is the one that has it all
 
Right but there were 10.3 drivers, 10.3 'performance' drivers (10.3a) and 10.3b drivers with I think bezel management. Basically 3 different versions of the 10.3 drivers and 10.4 is the one that has it all

So 10.3A are performance drivers and 10.3B has bezel management on top of the performance enhancements. Except that xbit is using 10.3 performance drivers either way.

This is coming from experience after owning both GTX 260 216SP and 5770 and now linked benches with 10.3 drivers comparing the 2 cards. I've been gaming on the PC since 1989 so I have lot of experience with this kind of stuff. It's becoming silly at this point. It seems some 5770 and Radeon owners just aren't willing to accept that 5770 is most of time slower than GTX260 216 and countless hardware reviewers that says it's slower. I just pointed out the highs and lows of this card. Great card definitely but it's just not fast as last generation cards with more bandwidth in most situations. Crysis, Metro 2033, and stalker are the exceptions.
 
Did your 260 die or something? If you have read the reviews stating the 5770 is no faster/sometimes slower why the hell did you buy one?

What the fuck?
 
Xbit benches few posts above are using 10.3 drivers.

FYI the benches you posted are from this review (claims cat 10.3's), which interestingly enough shows the exact same framerate for ATI cards as their other review (claims cat 10.2's). it appears as though xbit just regurgitated the BC2 results without updating them for the 10.3 driver release. this is purely speculation and based only on the unlikelihood of getting the exact same results (to the 0.1 fps). for a more recent review check out this techPowerUp review which looks at a mildly overclocked 5770 (they have an overclocking section with clocks closer to ours).
 
Did your 260 die or something? If you have read the reviews stating the 5770 is no faster/sometimes slower why the hell did you buy one?

What the fuck?

I sold the old GTX 260 couple months back when I was upgrading the entire computer from core 2 duo to 1156 socket I have now.

Is it wrong for me to state facts from multiple reviews? Why is it that it hits some guy with a 5770 nerves when I do? I've also stated that 5770 is faster than GTX 260 in some games. So it's okay for me to talk about 5770 being faster in these games but NOT slower in others?

Some rather believe in their love of their cards than facts I suppose. :rolleyes:
 
FYI the benches you posted are from this review (claims cat 10.3's), which interestingly enough shows the exact same framerate for ATI cards as their other review (claims cat 10.2's). it appears as though xbit just regurgitated the BC2 results without updating them for the 10.3 driver release. this is purely speculation and based only on the unlikelihood of getting the exact same results (to the 0.1 fps). for a more recent review check out this techPowerUp review which looks at a mildly overclocked 5770 (they have an overclocking section with clocks closer to ours).

I don't know. You would have to ask Xbit about that. I'm just linking benches which xbit claim it's 10.3 drivers they've used.
 
You also bit my head off when I suggested that real world gameplay really has improved with driver updates to the 5770. The fact that you cannot run BC2 makes me doubt your credibility.
 
I sold the old GTX 260 couple months back when I was upgrading the entire computer from core 2 duo to 1156 socket I have now.

Is it wrong for me to state facts from multiple reviews? Why is it that it hits some guy with a 5770 nerves when I do? I've also stated that 5770 is faster than GTX 260 in some games. So it's okay for me to talk about 5770 being faster in these games but NOT slower in others?

Some rather believe in their love of their cards than facts I suppose. :rolleyes:

Your utter denial that drivers can improve performance was my only issue. I never factored in the 260 performance relative to the 5770 in my comments at all. The 5770 came out last year, and those older drivers(9.xx) were quite terrible with all of the 5xxx cards.
 
So 10.3A are performance drivers and 10.3B has bezel management on top of the performance enhancements. Except that xbit is using 10.3 performance drivers either way.

There are 3 different versions of 10.3 drivers, only one was 'official' and downloadable from the Catalyst driver page.

10.3 = same performance as 10.2 and earlier, official release
10.3a = improved performance seen in official 10.4 drivers, 'beta' release
10.3b = same performance as 10.2 w/bezel management, 'beta' release

If Xbitlabs' used vanilla 10.3 'official' drivers then the performance boost isn't there. If they used 10.3a drivers then there was a huge performance boost for 5870 and 5850 cards as per the benchmark at WSGF I linked earlier (where 5850 10.3a surpassed the 5870 9.11 in every benchmark).

Without knowing whether xbit used 10.3 or 10.3a their bench doesn't enlighten us as to whether the 10.3a performance boost (also in 10.4) did anything for the 5770, and if those benches are the same results as earlier 10.2 results then it doesn't seem likely they used 10.3a.

The techpowerup.com review may be using the 10.3a release in those benches.. the 5770 (non-OC) beats the 260 in almost every bench, just barely, but the benches it loses on it loses big (Farcry, Farcry2 especially), like I was saying earlier. They're basically even cards but when the 260 does pull ahead it pulls way ahead.

I can't attest to any improvements in minimum fps due to driver updates, techpowerup's review doesn't seem to report that. Hopefully some review site does a definitive review of 10.4/10.3a drivers.. xbitlabs often does driver update reviews.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top