• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5770 Squealing

LevelSteam

n00b
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
5
So I just got a new HD5770 today (the one with the newer egg shaped cooler revision) to toss in a friends PC. Weird thing is it tends to squeal a lot... My 5770s do too to some extent, but not as much, and I'm currently running two (of the original full shroud cooler types, not sure if that matters) in crossfire in my build. Tested it with his rocketfish 500w psu and my lian-li 750w psu but had the same result both ways. I'm sort of stumped here. Are some cards just prone to this? It doesn't seem to hinder performance, it's just annoying.
 
Some bad components can cause a resonant squeal.

RMA that thing if it's making noise! It's not something that you can fix without voiding your warranty.
 
The two squealing cards I've dealt with were fixed with a PSU replacement. Something to consider and possibly test.
 
Some Gigabyte motherboards also have squeeling issues with certain PSU's. The ripple profile from some PSU's don't quite agree with power regulation circuitry on some major components.
 
Thanks for the advice! After running more tests the problem seems to be with my lian li psu, his psu just has a lousy fan that I was confusing with the noise, but after using my other corsair the problem seems to have stopped. It still makes a little buzzing or whining noise under load, but nothing I haven't heard before.
 
Back
Top