5770 possible failure?

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an XFX 5770 XXX edition (875/1300) with no additional OC other than the stock default OC. Ever since upgrading to 10.8 and now with 10.9 I will occaisonally see the screen shred to pieces with artifacts, and then my system will halt, give a system beep, and freeze. Hitting the reset button fixes this issue temporarily. This has happened twice a week for the last month and a half.

My temps never go over 55 degrees, fan scales according to spec, and it happens so randomly I can't tell what the issue might be. It's done it in WoW and MW2 so far. I took the fan off and blew out the fins on the heatsink and the entire fan assembly just to be sure.

I haven't tried a driver rollback yet, and I'm hesitant to because of the gameplay performances that I've seen. Has anybody else had this issue with these drivers? these cards?

M4A785TD-V EVO
8GB OCZ Plat 7-7-7-20
XFX XXX 5770 1GB @ stock (875/1300)
Win 7 Ultimate
WD Caviar Black 1TB x 2

I haven't experienced this yet on my 5770. In about 2 months of use, I've had two crashes with the card, where the VPU restarted. They both occurred in COD: WaW, after i played for around an hour. I would receive a red screen with lines. I've been running the 10.9a since the drivers came out, and have not experienced an issue yet. I've mostly played COD4 and Mass Effect since upgrading to the 10.9a. I did go back and play COD:WaW for 4 hours straight, and it never skipped a beat.

In short, I have not seen hat you are seeing yet. I would roll your drivers back, and play the games you were experiencing issues with. If there are no issues, then you can feel pretty confident in saying the drivers are the issue.

Back