• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5770 or 4890?

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
2,854
I am making a gpu reccomendation for my buddy, and I have narrowed it down to the 5770 and the 4890. The 4890 is $25 more but seems to do about 20% more fps. I know its not dx11, but there arent that many games rolling yet. Thoughts? He is running 2 lcd's one 19" @ 1280x1024 and a 20" @ 1680x1050.

TIA!:cool:
 
The 5770 should handle those resolutions pretty well. If power consumption is any of their concern, I'd get the 5770 since the 4890 is an energy hog. I'd get the 5770 because I like the features and the cheaper price, but that's just me. The 4890 would give you a performance boost, but it depends on his CPU. Could you post the CPU here?
 
20% performance boost is 20%. I don't think you can go wrong with either one really.
 
You won't be disappointed with either one, but I would suggest the 5770. The performance at 1920*1080 and below is pretty close, but the 5770 has a better feature set which could potentially give you a better image quality/performance as more DX11 games are released. Dirt 2 is less than a week away, so we'll get to see how DX11 turns out. I'm thinking it's what DX10 should have been. Kinda like Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.
 
hes running an antec earthwatts 500w psu, would that be enough to power the 4890?
 
As long as he's not running 6 HDD, 12 fans, and a bunch of lighting, it'll be fine. At load, the 4890 draws about 190w.
 
What power supply is your friend running and what current video card? The 4890 consumes roughly 60W-70W more power under load than the 5770. For 1920x1080 or similar I would recommend the 4890 since the reviews at [H] show that even the 4870 can handle slightly more eyecandy at that resolution in some games. At 1680x1050, however, I would probably go with the 5770. This is of course assuming that your friend will be running Windows 7.

EDIT: beat me to it, Antec 500W should be fine for either.
 
You won't be disappointed with either one, but I would suggest the 5770. The performance at 1920*1080 and below is pretty close, but the 5770 has a better feature set which could potentially give you a better image quality/performance as more DX11 games are released. Dirt 2 is less than a week away, so we'll get to see how DX11 turns out. I'm thinking it's what DX10 should have been. Kinda like Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

this and some more , angle independent anti aliasing for one, DX compute, DX 11 for longevity. the 20 % is nice but if your not going eyefinity and not playing crysis I think these outweighs the difference. JM2C
 
I had this similar choice last week... A 4890 or 5770 @1440x920
The general consensus was that at this resolution both cards will perform similar but 5770 has more features/less power and heat. I would think the FPS gap wouldn't be very significant between the two cards at 1680, but the 5770 still has more features and less power consumption at a lower price.
The small FPS gap between the 4890 and 5770 will probably close more as the 5770 drivers mature also.

In short, I would recommend the 5770. Its what I chose
 
I would personally get the Radeon HD 5770 mainly because its power consumption is alot lower than that of the Radeon HF 4890. I like the fact that is doesn't consume that much power under idle when I'm not gaming. Plus, it should do good at those resolutions of 1280x1024 or 1680x1050. On top of that, it's cheaper than a Radeon HD 4890 1GB.
 
noise can be a concrn the HD4890 is quite loud under load. It is the better of the 2, but I could never tolerate it.
 
Back
Top