Building a semi-budget gaming rig for a friend, as follows:

AMD Athlon II X2 240
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
GIGABYTE GV-R577D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 5770
Antec earthwatts EA500
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro

All but the GPU arrived last week, so I got the basics together running with onboard vid, and was easily able to push the 240 to a 12hr prime stable 3.5Ghz.

GPU arrived today, so I reset everything to stock, and installed the card.

Decided to heat it up with a little 3DMark06, and about two thirds of the way through the very first test, I get the following:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=114093

(Picture is in the 2nd post. That's from a 4850, but that picture is exactly what I see here.)

Hard reset required.

OK, so, I figure maybe I screwed up the driver install or maybe the card wasn't seated properly..or w/e, so I reseated the card, checked the PCI-E power plug connection, and did a full driver sweep and reinstall of the only available 5770 drivers from the AMD website.

After rebooting, I also rechecked the fans etc, all looked good.

Getting ready to try running 3DMark again, I brought up CCC to monitor temps in between tests, provided I could get through the first one of course.

Which I was not able to do, as it hard-locked with the same vertical lines again....*sigh*

wtf, let's see if ramping up the fan helps at all...I mean, everyone else seems to be getting great temps with this card, but, it's worth a shot right ?

I manually set the fan speed to 55% and it hasn't hard-locked since. Temps in the mid 70's or thereabouts.

So with a big WTF, I come to the [H] for ideas.

RMA ? Wait on drivers ? EA500 not enough ? What do you think ?

Last edited:
Looks like RMA time, but try underclocking it, WAY underclocking it to see if it works that way. They usually run 850/1200, see if you can lower it to 600/900 and run 3Dmark and see if it can go at all. If it does, it's the card. Also make sure the fan is spinning on it, you have to actually look at it while its running. The 5770 doesnt draw much so if any other video card is working in your system, this one should also.

Looks like a driver problem or you got a bad card. Clean uninstall of old drivers and install the latest drivers from AMD's WEb site then try the card.

I use CCC, Driver Sweeper, and go through registry to completely kill ATI drivers and I have had good performance with my ATI cards.

Boot up into safe mode to see if you can fix a possible clock problem.

The odd thing is though, that manually setting the fan speed to 55% seems to have helped. I plan on beating on it some more, at stock speeds though of course, to see if I can force it to happen again.

I have the machine powered down and disconnected for tonight, I'll take a look tomorrow with fresh eyes and see what I can come up with. On the underclocking front, I'm pretty sure CCC won't let me go any lower than 1200 on the RAM, so I could underclock the core but...I dunno we'll see.

I think the 9.10's will be out tomorrow too, so I'll give them a shot as well.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Well, it seems I did get a lemon here, as the issue is getting worse, and none of the suggested solutions seem to be working. 9.10's were useless to me, and the 9.11 betas seem to make the issue even worse.

RMA time then, I'll update this thread when the new card is installed.

_brought up CCC_ try just the display driver? CC sucks... my card card used to give me a nice black screen with ccc

Well, it seems I did get a lemon here, as the issue is getting worse, and none of the suggested solutions seem to be working. 9.10's were useless to me, and the 9.11 betas seem to make the issue even worse.

RMA time then, I'll update this thread when the new card is installed.

I also have the same problem and is completely frustrated because of it. Please let me know how you resolve this issue.

Back