5770 hangs / driver crashes while gaming

timme

Gawd
Hello,

I've recently started using a 5770 (ASUS EAH5770 CuCore). The following problem appears regularly:

While gaming (Bad Company 2, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 tested so far) the image freezes but sound etc. keep running, so the system does not crash entirely. After the screen froze for about 10 seconds it turns black, some flickering and the display shows the DVI connection symbol, which tells me that the ATI driver has crashed / restarted. After that the image is restored and I can proceed gaming.

System details:

- see profile for hardware setup
- driver details:
Code:
Driver Packaging Version	8.812-110104a-111988C-ATI	
Provider	ATI Technologies Inc.	
2D Driver Version	8.01.01.1114	
Direct3D Version	7.14.10.0806	
OpenGL Version	6.14.10.10428	
Catalyst Control Center Version	2011.0104.2155.39304
- Windows 7 up to date with all optional and important updates

Has anyone experienced similar problems? I'd be happy about suggestions.

have you run OCCT with error detection or furmark to see if its stable? could be bad ram.

have you run OCCT with error detection or furmark to see if its stable? could be bad ram.

Yes, I have run OCCT with error detection for a while. GPU temperature max. is about 85° C, no errors detected.

Try a different driver version e.g. 10.10e. Is your system overclock or stock?

The system is entirely stock. I have cleaned and re-installed the latest drivers and will now see if the problem occurs. It's a bit annoying because there's no clear way to provoke it. If that fails, I'll check out older driver versions. Thanks for the hints so far!

EDIT: Meh, it just happened again. Moving on to try different drivers.

Last edited:
Switched to driver version 10.10 (the e hotfix is no longer available apparently?), problem still occurs from time to time :confused:

Hey Timme, Try out drivers 11.1a which you might need to download from guru3d to get it or elsewhere. I've used that version so far and it's running great. Hmm, what's the temps for it during normal gaming? I had ATI drivers crash on me before and once I raised the fan speed to cool it down the problem went away. It could also just be a driver update I did that fixed it. Anyway I'd look at drivers and cooling as the two culprits, then last would be Power supply.

I'm not going to read too much into this hitting non-reference cards with reference generations (i.e. not the 6850), especially those from the likes of Asus. If it's causing fan issues on reference cards or 6850s then I'll get worried.

No idea what's going on with the 11.1a. It's doing weird things with my 5xxx series card. My crossfire 5770 has one of the screen going black while gaming. Reverted back to 10.10e and haven't had any issues with losing a screen yet.

Back