5770 Advice

Derfnofred

Gawd
Hey guys, I'm trying to finish up my purchasing for a new computer tonight and was hoping for some opinions. First off, I'm not a huge gamer (Likely RTS games plus something like Diablo3 or the like, not a FPS guy), but would like a competent system, and willing to put in some money for the gig (150 +/- some). Use will also include some GPGPU (openCL) development work to play around with audio stuff and photoshop. Maybe some video down the line. I'm not opposed to used, but new definitely has its attractions.

More or less, I think the 5770 has a nice balance, especially given its low 2D power requirements. Unless something changes, I'm planning on having the system for probably 4-5 years without changing much, so reliability is pretty important. I run a 1920x1200 monitor.

I live in California, but will be going up to see the folks in Oregon next week, so I can avoid sales tax. I was hoping for an opinion on the 3 below, especially if rebates have been a problem.

Powercolor PCS+: cheapest (140), comes with Dirt2, ? performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=powercolor_5770-_-14-131-327-_-Product

MSI Hawk: Nicest hardware (quiet!), most expensive and known to be a good overclocker for gaming
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490&Tpk=msi hawk

Rev 1 Cooler XFX: In the middle cost wise and easiest logistically since it ships directly to me in Cali. No rebates to dick around with and best warranty.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5316156&CatId=3669

Thanks!
Daniel

well i have the XFX version and imma tell you right now... if u dont plan on overclocking its good... but if u do... ur guna have to tweak the core voltage on 2d mode so it wont do the vertical line shit on u and crash ur comp... but yes it does have lifetime warranty and the technical support is VERY responsive... i sent in a support ticket once and they responded to me about an hour or two later...

I would go with XFX for the warranty. More resale value if you decide to upgrade and peace of mind knowing it's covered 4-5 years down the road if you don't.

if i were u though id invest in a 5870 since ull be keeping it for a long time... but tahts just me

if i were u though id invest in a 5870 since ull be keeping it for a long time... but tahts just me

Yeah, that wouldn't make any sense for me though, since the $$ would be prohibitive compared to the benefit in gaming. When I mean light, I mean probably less than or equal to 5 hours a week. I rock out a 5 year-old laptop at the moment when I gave my old p4 2.4 to my parents. My expectations for quality gaming are a lot lower than yours :D

Good to see I've got a mix of xfx and msi. Keep it rolling guys.

I'd say the XFX card looks like your best bet due to the nice warranty and the fact that it will ship right to you. Wouldn't recommend the MSI card since having the ability to overclock is useless to you (based on your low gaming needs) -> that extra premium is wasted money.

I'd say the XFX card looks like your best bet due to the nice warranty and the fact that it will ship right to you. Wouldn't recommend the MSI card since having the ability to overclock is useless to you (based on your low gaming needs) -> that extra premium is wasted money.

Cheers and thanks for all the rec's guys. You're definitely getting me leaning the xfx way for the reasons you state. I do appreciate the opinions. :D

Devil's advocate: Just want to mention that although my gaming needs may be low, I'll always take what I can get. It doesn't look hard to set up a couple profiles in afterburner--one for real quiet, low power, and one for proper gaming.

if money is nothing, choose MSI
or save some bucks pick a Power Color

5770 is 5770, they works same

Not exactly not all 5770's are created equal. Some of the coolers do a better job than others. Equally true 2 of the same cards can OC very differently

If you are looking for something stable for 4-5 years, I'd say go for a 5770. I'd say go XFX due to the lifetime warranty. Especially since you only are planning on light gaming, you could add another 5770 in for a performance boost if you wanted to up the longevity of it.

I can't stress enough getting a card with a lifetime warranty. Video cards are high heat components, and there is nothing better than having a component die and realizing you will get a free replacement. :)

Also, that particular XFX looks well built, the other two look.. iffy. I really like the cards that are encased. And rebates are a PITA.

Back