5700XT longevity

I still have my MSI RX 5700 Mech but it's the single 8 pin connection model and cost $329 with Ghost Recon point break free back then around the end of 2019, it's a tic faster than my RX6600 in FS, it's like they forgot the RX 5700 ever exist and more in line with a 2060/ Super / 3060

The XT is a RTX 2070 / Super tier level card.

I've been thinking of selling my 5700xt to someone that might be able to use it more than I am.

I just got this back up and running with a new B450 board, it only pulls around 140watts being single 8 pin model and it belongs to one of the kids.

There was an annoying driver bug with the 5700XT where it would not idle the RAM clock (w/ 34" monitors). That made it run a bit hotter at idle, causing the card to ramp up the fans just a bit. I found it super annoying in my quiet PC.
Sold the 5700XT ref for $950 shipped on eBay last October. Been super happy with the 3060ti that replaced it. Granted, I did pay $620 for the 3060ti at the time, but still a good deal IMO.
The 3060ti (Gigabyte aftermarket cooler) runs cool enough to where the fans are completely off at idle.

Was there ever any doubt about the 5700 XT? I don't recall any from the tech circles I travel in. As far as I recall, everybody praised for its amazing price-performance ratio compared to NVIDIA at the time. It did what the 2070 could do minus ray tracing for $100 less (SRP). Unfortunately, just as it was with the Litecoin explosion during the Hawaii/Tahiti generation, supply was short and prices were inflated.

I had two of them with one being reference card thar I sold for $700 local, just replaced it the new RX 6700 as to keep the party going!

Unfortunately, just as it was with the Litecoin explosion during the Hawaii/Tahiti generation, supply was short and prices were inflated.
You're likely thinking about Polaris. Navi10 was released during a crypto bear market cycle. Probably the last time we saw plentiful gpu stock at msrp (2019).

There was an annoying driver bug with the 5700XT where it would not idle the RAM clock (w/ 34" monitors). That made it run a bit hotter at idle, causing the card to ramp up the fans just a bit. I found it super annoying in my quiet PC.
Sold the 5700XT ref for $950 shipped on eBay last October. Been super happy with the 3060ti that replaced it. Granted, I did pay $620 for the 3060ti at the time, but still a good deal IMO.
The 3060ti (Gigabyte aftermarket cooler) runs cool enough to where the fans are completely off at idle.
My big issues/bugs were that I couldn't have two monitors with different resolutions connected for some reason. Every time I put on a game, both monitors gave a black screen and I'd have to hard reset the comp. Literally everytime.
Drivers, uninstall reinstall, forum searching, setting changes, didn't change anything. Very strange.

Happy to hear a lot of you are still rocking the 5700xt

I sold my 5700XT a year ago for $675. Initially purchased in late 2019 for $420.

Decent investment in my opinion

I sold my 5700XT a year ago for $675. Initially purchased in late 2019 for $420.

Decent investment in my opinion
My wife got a free upgrade to a waterblocked 6700xt with a bit of profit on top thanks to her 5700xt.

Good times lol.

You're likely thinking about Polaris. Navi10 was released during a crypto bear market cycle. Probably the last time we saw plentiful gpu stock at msrp (2019).
I'm recalling the Litecoin hype. I was in the market for a video card at the time and the 290X was selling for USD $800+ directly from retailers despite a SEP of $549. I settled on a GTX 780 because those were readily available at the MSRP of $499 at CompUSA at the time. I would have preferred a 290X.

I'm recalling the Litecoin hype. I was in the market for a video card at the time and the 290X was selling for USD $800+ directly from retailers despite a SEP of $549. I settled on a GTX 780 because those were readily available at the MSRP of $499 at CompUSA at the time. I would have preferred a 290X.
It was in reference you your comment about the short supply of Navi10/5700xt. Stock was plentiful. Crypto prices were in the tank and there was almost 0 mining demand which meant there was plenty of stock, at msrp.

Prices only went bonkers in 2021, far beyond it's initial release date and with the newer rdna2 cards already released. But for at least a year, there was plenty of msrp 5700xt's in stock.

Pretty impressed with how the 5700XT has held up.

Not sure I should start a new thread but on the topic of gpu card logevity, Hardware Unboxed just made another revisit video on GTX 1080 Ti comparing with 5700XT, etc. I owned two of these before (both EVGA and I loved them) but have to sell them to fund the upgrade to ampere cards during the recent mining craze.

Ya I saw that video and was even more perplexed. I own a RTX2080 and at the time of purchase it was very neck and neck with the 1080ti. Now in the video it at times trades blows with the 2060super. Pascal must have really not been optimized fully for DX12 as it was such a beast when introduced. I expected it to still be lofty.

I long sold mine but was impressed with the 5700xt.

In as far as the 6900xt I love mine. However, it's sitting in a box in storage now. The used value has plummeted and looks like it may be an upgrade card for my son's PC. I'll probably get a 7900xt for $29.95 when the market for GPUs collapse to great depression levels in the next 6 months when a loaf of bread is worth a day's wages and diesel fuel is $599.50 per gallon.

Back