Votes: 42 84.0%

• Total voters

Deltief

Limp Gawd
what is a better choice for a three monitor setup at 5760x1080:
two 570's in sli
or
two 6970's in crossfire

Honestly. I have a 6970 running three monitors without an issue. And I only have one. Price for performance... Go with the 6970. Plus if you really feel that you need another one after buying one and setting up eyefinity they are cheap. I had the same debate with myself and I am very pleased with the final choice of going with the 6970.

Great Buy!

Yeah going this route as well. Was going to get a 6990 but liked the 6970 xfire setup price to performance ratio.

Yeah going this route as well. Was going to get a 6990 but liked the 6970 xfire setup price to performance ratio.

For now unless you are a benchmark whore like me lol... The 6990 is not necessary for anything really. Eyefinity on every game I have played so far runs fine. I will be getting a 6990 soon though to add with my 6970. So much power :D

Thank you very much for your quick replies, I've been beating myself up trying to figure out which setup to go with, I'd heard the 570 was slightly faster in most games, but was not wise for three monitors because of memory limitations, so once again thanks for the input.

Thank you very much for your quick replies, I've been beating myself up trying to figure out which setup to go with, I'd heard the 570 was slightly faster in most games, but was not wise for three monitors because of memory limitations, so once again thanks for the input.

No problem. Always look at Price to Performance Ratio. Hopefully you are going with the 6970!!!! :D

Ill post results as soon as possible if people are interested, least I could do after all the help ive recieved on this forum, i plan on getting the powercolor 6970 on Newegg, its factory over clocked to 940, and i might just get three of em, its that or pick up the Chief triple monitor display mount, so many possibilites, lol it really drives me crazy.

Im going to get the 2600k and the Asus Revolution p67, it has the nf200 chipset and plenty of slots for gpus

I would def like to see some benchmarks. Especially if you get three. Pending on waht you post I might just buy two more 6970s instead of a 6990.

yeah I saw the 6970 6990 trifrie review here and was impresed, but I want to try the three 6970 myself and see the difference, if it turns out be slower I doubt it will be by much either way, but Im really looking foward to the results.

if you are efficient, price conscious, go with 6990. if you are going for maximum fps and performance in game, nvidia has upper hand. but then again, if you are not budget conscious, then you would be looking at gtx 580s or 590 unless you found a good used set of 570s for sale...

Uhh actually a 6990 was the highest costing setup vs two actual 6970's.

And the 6970's crossfire actually performed around 580's sli for 3 monitors, so it would also give higher performance.

And the 590 wasn't really a good card, even versus 580's sli.

So, yeah, go with the 6970's. The 2GB/card does help. And there are reviews here on the site and even on tom's (canned benchmarks on tom's hardware).

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/01/11/amd_69706950_cfx_nvidia_580570_sli_review/7

"Since a pair of GeForce GTX 570 video cards will run you $698, the same price as two Radeon HD 6970 video cards, it just isn’t worth it. For the same price as two GTX 570 cards you can get two Radeon HD 6970 video cards with a much higher memory capacity, and better performance."

And the performance has just gone up, BF:BC2 had a driver update that increased the performance significantly since that review to this day. The benefit on Civilization V is mainly due to the fact that Nvidia's drivers has a proper multi threaded rendering path so to say, and AMD hasn't put one on their drivers yet it seems (it is the sole multi threaded rendering game out as far as i know).

I love Nvidia, but their pricing is out of whack this generation IMHO.

Good choice on the 6970s. Not sure why somebody said Nvidia had the upper hand here, no they don't. They are quite bad at these high resolutions when you compare them to AMD. GTX 580s with 3gb would have been the only competitors here but they cost way more than 2/3 HD 6970s.

GTX 570s are great at 1080P up to 2560x1600(this is where they start to lose performance due to their memory).

i said, nvidia usually outperforms in small resolution gaming in general not in this case.
2 6970s vs 2 gtx 570 is not even a fair comparison as CF 6970s have close performance figure to 2 gtx 580s in sli anyways so yea if you are looking for best bang for sub $700, 6970s are way to go since you are looking at higher resoultions anyways...

I'm a cheap bastard. I say you get two reference 6950's unlock them and Xfire those bastards.

Back