56k Modem working yesterday, not today

Dps

Weaksauce
Hello

I have 2 PC's both with different 56k modems installed correctly with the correct drivers. I live in Florida.. MY internet was working on both computers with ICS during the whole month... Now after the hurricane the internet connects on both computers but it will not work on mine, On the other computer it simply connects and browses the internet, on mine it will connect but will not send and receive any information. I did not change any settings on computer from before and after, all I faced were a few power outages and thats it, can you guys please help me get my 56k working on my computer?... id really appreciate it thankyou

A few basic troubleshooting steps:

1) What speed connection are you getting?
2) Is your ppp adapter being assigned an IP address?
3) Can you ping your gateway?
4) If you hook up a handset directly in to that phone line, do you hear static?

These are the easy ones. It could be a multitude of possiblilities. Other suggestions:

1) Scan for spyware
2) Delete and re-add the dial-up connection
3) Try uninstalling and reinstalling modem drivers
4) Uninstall and reinstall (or net sh reset in the case of XP) TCP/IP stack

BollWeevil said:

These are the easy ones. It could be a multitude of possiblilities. Other suggestions:

1) Scan for spyware
I havent tried all yet but im wondering how i do #4.... ?

BollWeevil said:

1) Scan for spyware

Yes , I am being able to ping my gateway
im getting 48.0kbps and 49.2 kbps .. my PPP is getting an IP, I have no phones to hook up to the phone jack but i will test that later. i do not have any spyware on the comp either

I deleted the connectio nand reinstalled the drivers for the modem but now im going to try to do a system restore, i dont know how to give #4 so i could give it a shot but i dont know how yet, let me know a little bit more as I will keep trying over and over to fix this problem =( ty

I got a phone to test on the phone jack, and the line is normal with no static and the calls go through, the system restore did not work either... i am really stumped

What OS are you running? In 98/ME it's just a matter of remove and readding the TCP/IP protocol bound to your Dial-Up adapter within the Network settings.

XP gets a little more complicated because TCP/IP can't be uninstalled, but it can be reset.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/?sd=RMVP

I've also heard of some downloadable Winsock fix, but it may just be a tool for automating the above. You might do a google search.

BollWeevil said:
What OS are you running? In 98/ME it's just a matter of remove and readding the TCP/IP protocol bound to your Dial-Up adapter within the Network settings.

XP gets a little more complicated because TCP/IP can't be uninstalled, but it can be reset.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/?sd=RMVP

I've also heard of some downloadable Winsock fix, but it may just be a tool for automating the above. You might do a google search.

i am trying to download the winsock fix now, I reset my TCP/IP with net sh reset but it didn't do any good... I'm trying to understand why I am encountering this darn strange problem!. let me try the winsock fix and ill come back to give results.. i hope it works :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :(

ok, i downloaded and tried two types of winsock fixes, i believe a 1.12 and a 1.0.0.13 or something of the sort... neither work and im really confused, could it be a issue with the modem ? .. it connects but no info gets sent or received... its really weird and i've been trying everything you've said to fix it, are there any other possibilities? let me know please~~ :(

also im running XP SP2 professional

What about firewall software? You running anything like Norton Internet Security that might be blocking traffic? Try disabling any firewalls if you have them.

You said there were no packets sent/received but also you said you were able to ping your gateway. I'm assuming that the packet counters incremented when you did ping your gateway though?

Try taking it a step further and pinging past the gateway. Try to ping something in the outside world, such as one of google's servers 64.233.167.104. If this works, try just typing that IP in your browser and seeing if the google page loads. If it works by IP but not url, then you might have a DNS issue, which we can troubleshoot from that point.

Back