56k modem problem

nwahs000

Weaksauce
Hello-
I am having an issue with a 56k modem that I am installing for a friend. There old modem got fried so I put a new one in and it installed fine but was still unable to connect to AOL. I was trying to test the modem by doing a query modem test and it said that the com port was being used by another application. At this time the modem was showing up in Com port 3. Here's where I messed up I think, I tried to switch the com port to 1 which said it was in use. It let me switch it but now I can't even get the modem installed it shows up in phone and modem settings but says not responding or something like that. And every time I boot up it want's to install but it won't and it won't let me reinstall the drivers. Please help, thanks in advance!

Been a long time since I've messed with dialup modem installs. You may want to physically remove the modem and restart. Then try a different PCI slot, as I believe some resources are shared between slots.

Tried the above fix and no luck. Windows reads the modem but just dosen't install and it seems like the drivers are already installed because it won't let me install them. Is their a way to turn com 3 back on. Because it was recognizing the modem correctly in com3 but it said the port was being used. I'm so confused....help.....

If the PC has any serial ports on it they'll already have occupied the Com1 label. 2 devices (Modem and local serial port) cannot occupy the same com port. Try setting it to like Com4 or something 1st. Also Remove and reinstall from device manager.

Back