56k blues. Tweaking?

[PaUL]53

Limp Gawd
i don't know if the general hardware forum is the place to discuss this, well anyway, I am currently using a 56k modem, I'm getting broadband soon. But I'm looking for a way to make my dial up connection run faster. http://www.overclockers.com/tips685/ was interesting. i can't copy what they did because I don't have 2 phone lines, and i would be using one line for the phone if i did have two. i have read some 56k tweaking guides but found that most of my settings were already optimal. any help would be appreciated.

you've pretty much got it as fast as its gonna go. not much the end user can do in terms of performance

Well counter strike online looks like a slide show. There has to be something I can do.

LOL.. i used to have cable modem and we got rid of it because we are moving and our contract was up. i attempted to play an online game once on this dial up after that and I have never attempted since!

but you could also use this X-Setup 6.3 to tweak your modem settings and maximize your throughput. That is the BEST windows tweaker i've ever seen in my life! So use it either way if you don't already.

Also, you're average upstream and downstream are not going to change by very much at all no matter what you do. You can only do so much with a 56k modem on a dial up connection. BUT, I have noticed that everytime I go to download a file from the internet, my download has a tremendous jumpstart. It starts out at about 80kbps downstream and slowly works it's way down to 10kbps within about 6 seconds. Then after that i've managed to get the usual 5.77 standard kbps rate up to around the 6-7 area at a steady rate. And it's true speed too, because I watch the bytes that are coming in with it. It may not seem like it but that jump start is really nice! Because of it, I can download a 1mb file in about 30-45 seconds. But, without the jumpstart or even just downloading any extra 1 megabyte files after that it takes about 3 minutes per megabyte (the standard 56k speed). But it's nice for grabbing little try it now shareware files and stuff off of things like majorgeeks and stuff. You know, yesterday, I actually had a steady downstream of 12kbps for 5 whole minutes. Basically, I downloaded a 3.6mb file in about 5 minutes, when it should and would normally take at least 10 or 12 minutes. Some people may flame me that it's not possible, but i did it and it's true! one thing with having your port speed turned all the way up to 921600 is that you tend to lose your internet connection more often than if it were at default. but it's worth it. I don't see this helping you with your games though as it is still an ant vs elephant fight compared to broadband.

You need to try and browse the web for some init strings to use with your modem which will help your connection some. Also there are utilities you can download that will speed up your web browseing ability quite a bit. You see some of them advertised on TV somtimes. There are better ones then those though. USR has one listed on their site i think i'm going to try out when my new external USB 56k modem gets here monday.

LOL.. i used to have cable modem and we got rid of it because we are moving and our contract was up. i attempted to play an online game once on this dial up after that and I have never attempted since!
Playing counter strike online everyday turned me into a jittering nutcase ready to take out my rage on my friends and family. before i was able to move around freely and shoot, but now whenever i play cs, I can't move and all the other players are displayed at 2 fps, cl_entityflashpacket is not ur fwend. The only thing 56k can be used for is web browsing And downloading crap off warez programs really slowly .

just quit complaining and play some starcraft. SC runs fine over 28.8, i used to play on b.net over a 14.4 all the time.

i'm not good at RTS games, and I need a faster connection for downloading files. www.overclockers.com/tips685 do you think getting another phone line and 56k modem is worthwhile. That got me thinking, maybe I could use my 56k modem together with my adsl modem, when I get my broadband connection up and running.

oh please........i downloaded 150meg files off dialup a few times.

Originally posted by [PaUL]53
i'm not good at RTS games, and I need a faster connection for downloading files.

i'm not good at RTS games, and I need a faster connection for downloading files.

What kind of speeds are you getting right now? The phone lines are usually the limiting factor and not the modem. The phone lines are horrible in my area and not upgraded for internet activity. They are just good enough for telephone communications so i only connect 28.8k stable. I would love to connect at 56k and actually get at those speeds. Before i set some init strings one of my USR modems it would try and connect around 32k and it didn't work worth a shit then.

Originally posted by Whatsisname
It would take me more 5 hours to download a 150 megabyte file. Do you think I am impatient?

Originally posted by burningrave101
What kind of speeds are you getting right now? The phone lines are usually the limiting factor and not the modem. The phone lines are horrible in my area and not upgraded for internet activity. They are just good enough for telephone communications so i only connect 28.8k stable. I would love to connect at 56k and actually get at those speeds. Before i set some init strings one of my USR modems it would try and connect around 32k and it didn't work worth a shit then.
I used to run my adsl using my phone line, I was getting speeds of 24 - 30 KB/s when downloading files. So I think the limitation is the modem.

try thirty. You'll have to learn to be patient.

It would take me more 5 hours to download a 150 megabyte file. Do you think I am impatient?

adsl is a different technology. Its doesnt play by the same rules. Not only that, FCC regulation limits modem transfer speeds to 53.something k/sec

I used to run my adsl using my phone line, I was getting speeds of 24 - 30 KB/s when downloading files. So I think the limitation is the modem.

www.overclockers.com/tips685 do you think getting another phone line and 56k modem is worthwhile. That got me thinking, maybe I could use my 56k modem together with my adsl modem, when I get my broadband connection up and running. But if I use multiple modems, the phone lines might become a limitation.

your isp needs to support it, and you can probably count the number of isps that do on one hand.

www.overclockers.com/tips685 do you think getting another phone line and 56k modem is worthwhile. That got me thinking, maybe I could use my 56k modem together with my adsl modem, when I get my broadband connection up and running.

quote from www.overclockers.com/tips685
Back to the drawing board. After looking around the net with a few of my favorite search engines, I manage to find a program that promises to let you connect dual modems even with different ISP's - Great! After a long wait (really hate this 56k), I finally get it all set up. The program I am using is called "MidPoint". Let me tell you, this program is excellent!
does that solve the ISP problem?

I have a quick question for you:

How much is a phone line in your house a month?

If it's like 10 a month, buy like six of those.. then you'll get broadband speeds on 56k.. man that would be great.

<--- satellite user.. ( games are SLOWER Than 56k )..

hmmmmmmmmm i don't know if i could get the multiple modem thing to work, i don't know much about networking, internet connections etc. But I could get it to work if I really wanted to.

I used to download movies and games on dial up. I remember it would take a week straight to download one dreamcast game...For backup of course

It took me 1 week to download the entire 6th season of southpark, and it was before it was televised in Australia.

paul, you cannot use more than two phone lines at once, and rarely can you even use two. For games. You're screwed. Simple as that. The reason is because the internet was not built to travel over two lines. The internet will see your computer as two seperate computers, and will talk to it like so.

paul, you cannot use more than two phone lines at once, and rarely can you even use two. For games. You're screwed. Simple as that. The reason is because the internet was not built to travel over two lines. The internet will see your computer as two seperate computers, and will talk to it like so.
screwed? Well i have an adsl modem on my desk that can go up to 24 - 30 KB/s so i think I'm not screwed. Cable is not available in my area, I have no friggin idea why, I don't live out in the middle of nowhere,

I once had a download of 28kps for like 3 mins in kazaa. No lies.

28k.jpg

I though it was so weird, I disconnected it. (Figured for me to get those speeds, the other person must have a monster connection) :p

Originally posted by Cheetoz
I once had a download of 28kps for like 3 mins in kazaa. No lies.

28k.jpg

I though it was so weird, I disconnected it. (Figured for me to get those speeds, the other person must have a monster connection) :p
How often does that happen, Once in a blue moon with yellow rabbits climbing ladders backwards while opening umbrella's indoors? you can get that speed all the time with ADSL so i guess it isn't that much of a big deal, My ADSL usually starts at 90 KB/s and then slowly goes down to 30 KB/s

I've always used multilinkPPP analog modem connections as my corner of rural NZ has no consumer broadband solution other than 3GB data cap one-way satellite (though they are improving prices and increasing the limit gradually - used to be 1GB). With two or more modems in Win98 and W2K this is very easy if you can find a compatible ISP, I use a 3Com 3C888 at home though. Definitely worthwhile when you're cutting days off *nix and BSD *.iso downloads.

im sorry!:(

Ive been on broadband for about 4 years now and I will NEVER! go back to dial up....my friend had dial up for the longest time, he just got broadband this year. It was sooo damn slow....I wanna know why it is legal and puts people through such pain and agony.

Dialup is the spawn of Satan himself.

I really feel for anyone that has to suffer with it these days.

When I moved, I didn't have highspeed for like 2 weeks. I nearly ate my legs :p

when i downloaded that.. i only see my network adapter.... nothing about modem

then sign up for dsl service.
tard.gif

screwed? Well i have an adsl modem on my desk that can go up to 24 - 30 KB/s so i think I'm not screwed. Cable is not available in my area, I have no friggin idea why, I don't live out in the middle of nowhere,

then sign up for dsl service.
tard.gif
I remember getting ADSL for the first time, My download limit was 500 MB, I was overcome with the power of the fast connection that I couldn't resist exceeding the limit. consequences were, my bills went through the roof, I started using 56k for a few months, then spent a few months without the internet at all. I just started to want a fast connection again so I have started this thread, and I have gone searching around for my lost cables and driver cd's and crap. i'm getting adsl connected ASAP, but it's not soon enough. I'm 14 and my mum's busy. good enough explanation. I just wanted to try and tweak my 56k. My ADSL will be connected in a few days, i hope. All my friends are using a cable connection from my 56k ISP. The 2 reasons I didn't sign up for the plan are that it's not available in my area and it has a download limit of 12 GB. geese.:rolleyes: I would rather have a slightly slower ADSL connection with no download limit for the same price.

Back