560ti 448 vs 660ti

BecauseScience

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking at: MSI 660ti Power Edition

Current card: MSI TwinFrozer 560ti 448
Display: 1920x1080@60fps
Processor: i5 3750 (stock clock)

Own these Games:
GTA 3/4/SA, New Vegas, Batman AA/AC, Borderlands, Bully, Driver SF, Dead Space 1/2, Deus HR, Oblivion, Hitman 1/2, Just Cause 1/2, LA Noire, Mafia 1/2, Prince of Persia 1/2/3, Metro 2033, Stalker Call/Clear Sky/Shadow, Saints Row 2/3, Civilization 3/4, Thief 1/2/3, Vampire Bloodlines, Witcher

Will buy: Skyrim after I finish New Vegas.

I'm currently playing Bully, New Vegas, Borderlands, Driver SF. I haven't even installed most of the games on my list.

Can someone point me to benches that have direct 560ti 448 to 660ti comparisons? All the reviews I see are up against the 6x0 and 49x0 and they use newer games that I assume are more demanding.

The 660ti is at my favorite price point but I'm wondering if it's not worth the time. I'm not even sure I need an upgrade. I was itching to buy a Titan but I talked myself out of it due to price/performance. Then I though I'd get a 680. Then I loaded a few games. No real complaints. It's hard to justify a 680 when the games I'm playing look fine. Now I'm wondering if I should scratch my upgrade itch with a 660ti or ignore it altogether.

So the question why upgrade when all the games look fine?.. A 660ti stock its on pair with a 580 so Well i can tell you that of course you will have a better performance with the 660ti specially with the MSI power edition that is greatly factory OC.. But as you said all your games look fine and they are low demanding games... But for the actual (2012) games, or most newer games your card will have some problems specially for 1080p@60hz.. For actual games the best choise for 1080p is the 660ti of course but the science of an upgrade like that is to think in the future.. And the future for your card its gone... So you can take some alternatives... If you can affort a 680 you will know that u have enough graphic power for several years... Or you can go with a 660ti to keep your system fresh.. And in a future upgrade to a 660ti in SLI you will have WAY much more power than a 680 so you will keep your system for some more years... In a personal opinion i was in the same dilema than you and i decided go with the 660ti FTW signature 2 edition and upgrade later to another 660ti and keep my system fresh for another years more than a single 680...

Ah Bully. Such a wonderful game.

I'd give your current alittle longer. Wait until 700s come out, and either...

A) Get a bigger boost over your card.

or

B) Save some money on the 660ti or 670 because of generation price drops.

Batman AA/AC, Deus HR, LA Noire, Metro 2033, Stalker Call/Clear Sky/Shadow, Witcher

these will show the most improvement out of all the games you have, but as others have pointed out, if you are playing just fine with the card you have at the stings you use then why bother, don't let it bother you.

660Ti power edition is a sick card, it truly is definitely worth its cost

So the question why upgrade when all the games look fine?

I have no logical answer for that! :D The best I can come up with is that it seems like a long time since I bought my 560ti and the next nvidia cards are a long way off.

For actual games the best choise for 1080p is the 660ti of course but the science of an upgrade like that is to think in the future.. And the future for your card its gone... So you can take some alternatives... If you can affort a 680 you will know that u have enough graphic power for several years... Or you can go with a 660ti to keep your system fresh.. And in a future upgrade to a 660ti in SLI you will have WAY much more power than a 680 so you will keep your system for some more years...

I don't do the futureproofing thing anymore. I can always buy a new card whenever I feel the need. My only limitation is feeling like I'm not throwing money away.

The biggest deterrent to changing cards is dealing with the hassle of selling off the old one. Craigslist people are a pain the ass.

Ah Bully. Such a wonderful game.

Love the Bully! It's one of my all time favorites and one of the few games I actually bother to play in 3d.

Here a review of a 660ti SC included the 560ti 448cores on the bench: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_660_ti_sc_review,1.html

And here a more specific MSI 660ti power edition OC too included the 560ti 448 cores:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-660-ti-power-editon-oc-review,1.html

Very helpful, thanks.

Batman AA/AC, Deus HR, LA Noire, Metro 2033, Stalker Call/Clear Sky/Shadow, Witcher

I'll fire those up and see what they look like. I think I tried Metro once when I first got my card and I was not happy.

I should probably check 660ti performance on these titles too. I don't want to get a 660ti, load one of these games, and wish I went with a 680 or Titan. Then again, it might be 6-12 months before I get around to playing any of them.

This would be a much easier choice if I could reserve 5-10 hours a week for gaming.

The financially responsible part of me says to keep your current card until you actually run into something that you can't really run all that well. THEN - you decide to upgrade. It makes almost no sense to be "proactive" on upgrades with gaming computers. They're not automobiles. Every now and then, there will be a graphics card architecture that "nails" it for performance and future-proofing. Two cards off the top of my head are ATI's Radeon 9700pro and Nvidia's GeForce GTX-8800GTX. Both were paradigm shifts when they were introduced, so maybe they don't count. Now when I mean "future-proofing," I'm talking buying a card to power your games until a few years from now.

Truth is that no one knows what the future will hold. ATI's Radeon HD-2900 series was a huge flop, and no one saw it coming (it came after the monstrously successful X1900 series cards). Ditto with GeForce FX series. After GeForce 4 Ti, no one would have expected the FX series to end up the way that it did.

Also consider that your GTX-560 TI 448 is probably still very good for 1080p on most games. Sure, you'll have to drop some settings. But these days, it's not the stark difference of running ye olde Far Cry on High versus low, or medium. Usually it means dropping down post-processing (I usually take it down anyway because I don't like it) and not running some more advanced DX11 features, like Ambient Occlusion. So if every game for you runs like butter, consider the value of plopping down upwards of $300 on a video card for the ONE game that doesn't run perfect. Because you'll likely drop a couple of settings, play the game, and forget about the image quality (because you'll be sucked into the game). You'll then likely finish the game and have no desire to go back and play it. Anyways... I'm rambling. But that's my take on it.

Well i have a 660ti and i can play all games maxed out 1080p@55-60hz even crysis 3 lowering just shadows to high and 2xSMAA. I have most of your games and the only of that games that crush any card is metro 2033 and however i play @60fps with DX11 ON. Just lowering the DOF... The rest the 660ti its overpowered card for that games.. But if you wanna be even more sure go with a GTX670.. You will not find any game @1080p that do not cause a big smile.. XD... Is a HUGE upgrade from the 560ti 448cores... Specially if are any asus top, msi PE or EVGA FTW edition..

Also consider that your GTX-560 TI 448 is probably still very good for 1080p on most games. Sure, you'll have to drop some settings. But these days, it's not the stark difference of running ye olde Far Cry on High versus low, or medium. Usually it means dropping down post-processing (I usually take it down anyway because I don't like it) and not running some more advanced DX11 features, like Ambient Occlusion.

Yea, I usually don't use the advanced post processing stuff. When I have the chance to game it's usually 2-3 hours tops. I don't feel that tweaking settings is a productive use of my fun time. I honestly don't even know the difference between most of the AA settings.

Looks like I forgot Dead Island and Hitman (Blood Money / Codename 47 / Silent Assassin) from my games list. Again, haven't even installed any of them yet.

EDIT:
Looks like the 680 TwinFrozr OC is $470. Am I crazy for thinking that looks like a decent deal? I remember thinking the 680's were way overpriced on release.

Last edited:
680 are very powerfull cards, Titan is as well but it definitely is overpriced for what it is, and they have their own issues.

660Ti power edition is a hell of a card man, it clocks up to match up to a 680, and more or less is a 670 in disguise(clock speeds) Very similar to say a 7870XT is an equal to a 7950/7970 in nearly everything once clocked up.

Look at it this way, Nvidia and AMD were both very smart this time to not release the higher speed cards or the ones with the extra shaders etc as they are far to close for comfort of the next cards up
GTX650Ti boost-660 non ti
660Ti power edition-670
Radeon 7790-7850
Radeon 7870XT-7950

If you feel you need to upgrade, or want to(its your wallet) the 650Ti boost-660Ti power-680 Radeon 7790-7870(like the MSI one I got)7870XT-7970 are overall the best performance/$ spent cards going.

Umm, that 680 is not that good a deal, they launched at $499 :p still MSI coolers are awesome for this generation, not many are their equal, and well most folks end up paying a decent premium for EVGA superclock which is not normally that much a boost you could not do yourself and tends to be stock cooling, I rather pay the extra for better cooling AND a factory overclock(which is usually small anyways)

Very very rare cards come from factory clocked up to the point that most users cannot do themselves anyways.

680 are very powerfull cards, Titan is as well but it definitely is overpriced for what it is, and they have their own issues.

660Ti power edition is a hell of a card man, it clocks up to match up to a 680, and more or less is a 670 in disguise(clock speeds) Very similar to say a 7870XT is an equal to a 7950/7970 in nearly everything once clocked up.

Look at it this way, Nvidia and AMD were both very smart this time to not release the higher speed cards or the ones with the extra shaders etc as they are far to close for comfort of the next cards up
660Ti power edition-670
Radeon 7790-7850
Radeon 7870XT-7950

If you feel you need to upgrade, or want to(its your wallet) the 650Ti boost-660Ti power-680 Radeon 7790-7870(like the MSI one I got)7870XT-7970 are overall the best performance/$ spent cards going.

Umm, that 680 is not that good a deal, they launched at $499 :p still MSI coolers are awesome for this generation, not many are their equal, and well most folks end up paying a decent premium for EVGA superclock which is not normally that much a boost you could not do yourself and tends to be stock cooling, I rather pay the extra for better cooling AND a factory overclock(which is usually small anyways)

Very very rare cards come from factory clocked up to the point that most users cannot do themselves anyways.

I forgot to mention that I don't overclock. Not interested in AMD right now. Maybe next gen if they continue to improve their drivers.

A TF card for $30 under the reference card launch price seems like a decent deal to me. Not great but decent.

660Ti power edition-670
Radeon 7790-7850
Radeon 7870XT-7950

Idk know ur card but mine. EVGA 660 ti FTW Signature 2 clock stock clock its 1254mhz thats LOT LOT difference between the 915mhz reference 660ti more or less over 17GB/S texture fillrate... And i can even clock easy to 1350mhz only with a increase on the temps of 2degrees.. And 0.05v voltage increase i can match and have better performance than 670 factory OC and crush any 670 reference card... also the Signature 2 aftermarket cooler its way awesome even better than the DCUII from ASUS.. Max temp i've reached its 58Celsius stock OC and 63C@1350mhz.. I keep the opinion on the 660ti or 670 for the best option... Going for the money saving option.. If the OP like the 680MSI its the best he can buy far for the 1000$ GTX titan...

that's a signature way not reference :p, I suppose similar to Asus Rog branding, or Gainwards Golden Sample, but usually EVGA does tend to charge a fair premium for an ever so slight bump in clocks with a reference cooler.

$30 under launch price is cruddy IMHO, Most of the Radeons as an example have dropped $40 or so minimum from launch price, ahh well.

660Ti power is well worth it and is meant for overclocking, 680 is a powerfull card for sure, Titan well, very expensive for what it is I suppose, but it is crème of the crop afterall, think Intel Extreme :p

$30 under launch price is cruddy IMHO, Most of the Radeons as an example have dropped $40 or so minimum from launch price, ahh well

Just to be clear, the Twin Frozr 2GB OC was $540 at launch so it's down $70. The $30 figure was comparing it to the launch price of the reference cards.

good and bad, Nvidia tends to very much control all aspects including whom is allowed to offer what type of cooling solution, clock speeds, voltage controls etc.

when you put it that way, then yes, it is a decent deal, but still seems a hell of a markup, I think for my 7870 the MSI ones were only like $5-$10 more then reference and well worth it.

Well i have a 660ti and i can play all games maxed out 1080p@55-60hz even crysis 3 lowering just shadows to high and 2xSMAA. I have most of your games and the only of that games that crush any card is metro 2033 and however i play @60fps with DX11 ON. Just lowering the DOF... The rest the 660ti its overpowered card for that games.. But if you wanna be even more sure go with a GTX670.. You will not find any game @1080p that do not cause a big smile.. XD... Is a HUGE upgrade from the 560ti 448cores... Specially if are any asus top, msi PE or EVGA FTW edition..
a 660ti most certainly cannot maintain 60 fps in the most demanding games. and you are wrong to think a 660ti is a "HUGE" upgrade over a 560ti 448sp. that is flat out not true as the 560ti 448sp is basically even with a 570 which the 660ti is only about 15-20% faster than. in fact a 660ti can lose to the 570 in a couple rare cases so bottom line is the 660ti not as fast as you make it out to be is absolutely NOT a huge upgrade over a 560 ti 448sp.

I ended up ordering the MSI Twin Frozr 680 2GD5/OC for $470. The Metro Last Light promotion pushed me over the edge. I have no interest in the game right now so I can sell the coupon when it arrives.

Thanks for the input everyone. The discussion helped.

:p np, and yeh, 660Ti is quite a bit faster when OC taken into account, it is a new arch and simply does not treat games the same as the 500 series does, like you pointed out though, is it a massive difference, not truly, is it noticeable difference yes.

Could be he was also running a heavy clocked cpu which does help things a lot don't forget.

:p np, and yeh, 660Ti is quite a bit faster when OC taken into account, it is a new arch and simply does not treat games the same as the 500 series does, like you pointed out though, is it a massive difference, not truly, is it noticeable difference yes.

Could be he was also running a heavy clocked cpu which does help things a lot don't forget.
this always drives me nut when people talk about overclocking just the new card. I hate to break it to you but the 660ti does NOT scale better than a 560 ti 448sp. if anything the 560ti 448sp will actually scale better overall. so a gtx670 is really the lowest card someone should consider if coming from a card like the 560ti 448sp and wanting a noticeable upgrade.

I wouldn't upgrade to a 660Ti, even a PE, if I were in your position. The only thing on that list of games that is going to cause issues with your 448 should be Metro...

I wouldn't upgrade to a 660Ti, even a PE, if I were in your position. The only thing on that list of games that is going to cause issues with your 448 should be Metro...
and the 448sp would play Metro 2033 almost as well as the 660 ti too. really with Metro all you need to do is leave off advanced physx and dof and run high instead of very high settings and any decent card can play the game. I played it on an old oced gtx260 at 1080 just fine with DX10 medium settings. I even put it on high for the last half of the game and it ran surprisingly well and I left it there.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=670&card2=660

whatever, seems a lot of folks do not know crap about what they are talking about when you get involved, ahh well, though I could be wrong it stands out that the 600 are simply more efficient design in many ways, but not quite as good in others which is what it is and what has been told numerous times.

600 series were not designed to be work horse like the 500 series were, that is fact, however, their prime focus being gaming which they most definitely are geared and optimized for.

He decided to go for 680 which is great, though most of the 600 series is faster in nearly every aspect of gaming then 500 series was, otherwise Nvidia are tards and do not know what they are talking about or making, but no matter to me, I and others don't know crap, I think [H] should hire you :p

but I know exactly what I am talking about. I have owned a gtx570 and gtx670 and have a gtx660ti right now. again the 660ti scales worse than the gtx570 overall.

as it should, look at the raw specs for the cards, the ROPS, TMU, buswidth etc..
GTX680 vs 580, 560Ti vs 660Ti compare like for like(in this case the 560Ti is compared to 660Ti even, not a 570, that is the 670 job) more then one person say on multiple sites that the gain from any including 560Ti 448 core to 660Ti is in the ~15% range, not taking into account super overclocked to rat snot cards of course. 600 series prime focus PERIOD was gaming and efficiency, the exception of course was Titan which was and is meant to be a workhorse just the same as the 500 series was..

I refuse to buy Nvidia I do not believe in them as a company, not in the way they do their business, nor in the way they screw their competition even if it hurts their customers, but anyways.

The links I posted explain it well enough, if your opinion matter more then mine, fine, I don't give a rats ass, yes 500 series do tend to overclock very well this is known, 600 series do not clock quite as much HOWEVER they do tend to scale very well with the clocks, modern games did show even a lower card say a 650Ti vs a 560Ti the scaling is definitely there, it seems for most things a 1/2 step up is about the gaming performance, but 1 step down at minimum for work performance, but I am done arguing with you its pointless, others say what I am but you are right, they are wrong, so be it.

OP hope you enjoy that 680 :)

but again the 660ti does not scale all that well. I can oc by 20% and typically get a 10-12% increase even in 100% gpu limited scenarios. I spent the first few days just testing the scaling alone and was not all that impressed.

and the 448sp would play Metro 2033 almost as well as the 660 ti too. really with Metro all you need to do is leave off advanced physx and dof and run high instead of very high settings and any decent card can play the game. I played it on an old oced gtx260 at 1080 just fine with DX10 medium settings. I even put it on high for the last half of the game and it ran surprisingly well and I left it there.

The GTX 260 ran Metro nicely with DX 10 settings and Physx. It would drop into the 20s, but it would stay around 33-35 mostly (acceptable for an SP game IMO). I went to a 560ti 2GB and ran DX 11 settings. On the benchmark I got 18 frame rates. Now I went to a GTX 670 PE and get 28 frame rates with the same settings.

That game is demanding, much more so than BF3 and Crysis 2. IMO while it looks good it doesn't look as good as either of those games yet runs worse.

My point being that the 660ti PE, even with your CPU, will probably struggle with Metro at 1080. Aside from that your current GPU is fine for those other games. Personally I would just wait for the next generation of cards.

The GTX 260 ran Metro nicely with DX 10 settings and Physx. It would drop into the 20s, but it would stay around 33-35 mostly (acceptable for an SP game IMO). I went to a 560ti 2GB and ran DX 11 settings. On the benchmark I got 18 frame rates. Now I went to a GTX 670 PE and get 28 frame rates with the same settings.

That game is demanding, much more so than BF3 and Crysis 2. IMO while it looks good it doesn't look as good as either of those games yet runs worse.

My point being that the 660ti PE, even with your CPU, will probably struggle with Metro at 1080. Aside from that your current GPU is fine for those other games. Personally I would just wait for the next generation of cards.
you say DX10 settings and DX11 settings as if they are really something different in Metro 2033. what matters is the whether you use low, medium, high, or very high. there is no performance difference advantage for DX10 in this game on the same settings so you had to have changed something else. even in the benchmark itself the only difference is that tessellation is enabled in DX11 but really even that makes no difference.

EDIT: I just ran the benchmark

DX11 high settings with tessellation
85 fps

DX10 high settings
85 fps

so like I said there is no performance difference and if anything DX11 could probably be a couple fps faster if you don't use tessellation.

Last edited:
got to love all the advanced features that are supposed to make it easier on the hardware to achieve greater results(quality) or the same results(quality) but at a much lower cost(processing) and yet are cookie cutter into the final design just to tick the box, tessellation is very much used like this and should overall be making a significant difference in apparent complexity of a scene without being super stressfull on the hardware in question, Heaven DX11 with tessellation you can definitely see the scaling difference.

Seems a lot of the "advanced" features currently used are an afterthought and added just to add it, rather then being built with it which would make a massive difference I would imagine. Would be like having something single threaded then slapping on multi-threaded approach years later, not the same thing as having it coded in the first place as multi-threaded.

As for the graphics card thing, nothing is purely graphics fed, well, unless it is compute solely so you can see the scaling differential such as bitcoin or folding maybe, 20% clock for 10% gain(always diminishing returns and all cards clock differently) are you oc your cpu and such to truly take advantage of it, bottleneck somewhere, clocking memory to high so it is throttling etc?

Just curiosity as this seems to go against what many are saying with the 600 series in general cause they have very good scaling but usually artificially limited, 500 series has great scaling but is usually power/temps limited, so maybe the return on the clock increase does not impress you, but could be if taking into account shader difference, power consumption etc they are actually doing exactly what they should.

Far as I recall somewhere I had seen a clock for clock comparison where they chopped down the clocks and tried to nullify the difference of many of the 5 and 6 series cards(and radeon 5800-6800-7800) to show how much gain or lost there was, average when all nullified 5% minimum 35% on the high end just to show the efficiency in raw performance gained.

IDK, still seems quite odd, generation to generation 500-600 (like card) 15% seems to be about the average gain raw gaming performance(this is what most claim) but also at minimum this much lost in raw compute performance as well

I installed my 680 yesterday. I'm happy with the upgrade. The card is very quiet, even when I punished it with FurMark. MSI must be improving the Frozr cooling from gen to gen. I remember having a somewhat noisy Frozr card a couple generations ago.

Metro is very playable and so is GTA4. New Vegas is buttery smooth in 3D. I know NV is old but 3D takes a toll. I'm guessing I'll be happy with the Skyrim performance too. The only sore point is that I can't max out Unigine Heaven. Too bad...it's my favorite game! The only other complaint is that the 700 series is dropping in a month. All in all, I'm glad I went with the 680.

I installed my 680 yesterday. I'm happy with the upgrade. The card is very quiet, even when I punished it with FurMark. MSI must be improving the Frozr cooling from gen to gen. I remember having a somewhat noisy Frozr card a couple generations ago.

Metro is very playable and so is GTA4. New Vegas is buttery smooth in 3D. I know NV is old but 3D takes a toll. I'm guessing I'll be happy with the Skyrim performance too. The only sore point is that I can't max out Unigine Heaven. Too bad...it's my favorite game! The only other complaint is that the 700 series is dropping in a month. All in all, I'm glad I went with the 680.

LOL?????? Unigine heaven a game????? O.O..

LOL, I caught that one to and wanted to post up, but you beat me to it lol lol.. You should be able to pretty much max it out in regards to AA and such

and yes punished is the right word for Furmark. Glad you are happy though, 700 series is unlikely to be a massive boost anyways, just a bump

LOL, I caught that one to and wanted to post up, but you beat me to it lol lol.. You should be able to pretty much max it out in regards to AA and such

It does well with everything maxed except highres textures and tessellation. Add those to the mix and fps go to crap. I know it's completely meaningless but I kind of wanted to be able to fully max Heaven with rates solidly above 40fps. Maybe next year...

highres does tend to chew Vram, but you should be able to max tessellation easy enough and run 16X AA 16x AF, 680 is a hell of a powerfull card, I know heaven can really crap kick my 7870, and I got a very good clocking one as well(1320/[email protected] for one gaming stable other 1265 1.25v only bitcoin stable gaming is 1225 or so at same voltage) problem I am having is the voltage on the one card is anything but stable and I even sent it in for repairs as it does crash now and then cause the voltage drops even at stock, I swear they didn't repair it though, I even swapped it to second PCI-E port as I though that might be reason, nope :(

Ahh well, you`ll enjoy that card I am sure, 600 series overall really surprised me, am an Nvidia hater for many reasons, but the 600 series was/is a good step in the right direction for Nvidia, now only if they could help AMD sort out some of their issues, they should work together more often as we as consumers should have the choice between say mustang and Camaro and in many ways they are equals they do not need to slash each others tires lol.

You should be very happy with the performance in Skyrim. I had a GTX 560 ti card (non 448) and it mostly played Skyrim fine at 1920x1200 on high, but I got a lot of stuttering and pausing, especially when going in or out of areas when it would autosave. At some points it was almost unplayable. I upgraded to a single GTX 660 card and Skyrim now plays buttery smooth on Ultra settings, same resolution. The difference in gameplay is like night and day. My old card was 1GB and the new card is 2GB, so that must have been where the difference is. Very happy with my upgrade, especially since it was only ~$170 :D

Back