560J Series

DPGX

Limp Gawd
I just ordered an Abit Fatal1ty 925XE motherboard, 2 x 512 megs of Corsair XMS PC5400 and am currently curious as to whether or not the 560J's newegg has in stock support EMT64 instructions? Id love to get a 64-bit P4 and be done with purchasing upgrades for sometime, and feel that 64bit might be worth paying a few extra dollars for if so (was looking at a 3.4 otherwise). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I searched around the forums a bit but would like a definite answer on this before I order it!

Thanks again!

A 560F would support x86-64, a 560J just has the XD bit.

From here: http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/99345.htm

Execute Disable Bit
Execute Disable Bit allows the processor to classify areas in memory by where application code can execute and where it cannot. (This feature only available on processors with the "J" designator after the series, i.e. "560J")

Enhance Halt State
Enhance Halt State is activated when the Halt instruction is executed by the processor. Halt is executed when the OS goes into idle mode which lowers frequency and voltage (Dynamic VID) to reduce power consumption. (This feature only available on processors with the "J" designator after the series, i.e. "560J")

Intel® Thermal Monitor 2
An enhanced version of Intel® Thermal Monitor that lowers frequency and voltage, Dynamic Voltage Identification (Dynamic VID), to reduce power consumption. (This feature only available on processors with the "J" designator after the series, i.e. "560J")

==>Lazn

I used Windows x64 while running my Athlon 64, there arent alot of programs available yet but id hate to invest 500 in a chip that doesnt have EMT64 capabilities. I have a LGA775 P4 currently and was debating upgrading to one if I could find a 64 bit capable p4... Thanks for the response, also earlier I found a link on the inquirer that lists the current J cpu's that are EMT64 enabled, ill post the link when I get home from work.

Thanks again!

Is this the article you're referring to?
http://theinquirer.net/?article=20852

If so, The Inquirer isn't wrong. It's simply reporting what anyone can see in the Intel Processor Spec Finder. There are some E0 P4's that support EM64T. However, Intel doesn't specify the letter code that goes along with them, such as J, F, etc. No where in the article does it say the E0 P4's supporting EM64T are J's.

DanIdentity said:
If so, The Inquirer isn't wrong. It's simply reporting what anyone can see in the Intel Processor Spec Finder. There are some E0 P4's that support EM64T.
Actually, the Inq is wrong. I have a 3.4F GHz (<- Intel's official name for the P4 w/EM64T). The only xxx model number that will soon have EM64T is the 6xx series (the Speedstep/EM64T/EDB models). No CPU named by Intel with a 5xx/5xxJ model number has EM64T.

Some people are calling 3.xF processors 5x0 model names, but that's not Intel. Some people also call PCI-Express "PCI-X", but that doesn't make it correct either. :p

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20041231A2003.html

Everything you said is correct. But, where exactly did The Inquirer state that a 5xx/5xxJ CPU has EM64T? They didn't. They're not wrong.

DanIdentity said:
Everything you said is correct. But, where exactly did The Inquirer state that a 5xx/5xxJ CPU has EM64T? They didn't. They're not wrong.
http://theinquirer.net/?article=20824

No current roadmap shows 5xx models having EM64T.

I wouldn't doubt that intel doesn't have plans to ever push the F processors as a regular desktop processor. They've been out for months in servers and laptops. It never got a 5xx model name and the 6xx series is a new core (2MB L2).

pxc said:
http://theinquirer.net/?article=20824

No current roadmap shows 5xx models having EM64T.

I wouldn't doubt that intel doesn't have plans to ever push the F processors as a regular desktop processor. They've been out for months in servers and laptops. It never got a 5xx model name and the 6xx series is a new core (2MB L2).

That article states that Intel plans to bring EM64T to the 5xx line in the future, not that any current CPU supports it.

I found an article earlier that stated when Intel brings EM64T to the 5xx line, they will indicate so by incrementing the model number by 1. So, the P4 551 would have EM64T support while the 550 wouldn't. I can't remember which site I found the article on, but I'll post back if I find it.

It should not be surprising Intel is bringing EM64T to the 5xx line though. They plan to incorporate it across their entire processor line, including Celeron. It wouldn't make any sense to have EM64T on Celeron and the 6xx series only.

DanIdentity said:
That article states that Intel plans to bring EM64T to the 5xx line in the future, not that any current CPU supports it.

I found an article earlier that stated when Intel brings EM64T to the 5xx line, they will indicate so by incrementing the model number by 1.
link? i didn't think so.

theinq is pretty retarded. no journalistic standards at all.

Interesting thread, but not a single link to or quote from Intel's processor finder.

This is an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 560.

These parts include Hyper-Threading Technology.

These Pentium® 4 processors on 90nm process in the 775-land LGA package support the 775_VR_CONFIG_04B (performance) specifications.

These parts support Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T.)
:p

Source.

from what I understand, there are no 5xxF chips, only chips that still have the Ghz rating have the -F suffix

I guess nobody read my previous post. There are 64-bit 5XXs. All you have to do is go to Intel's processor finder.

uclajd said:
I guess nobody read my previous post. There are 64-bit 5XXs. All you have to do is go to Intel's processor finder.

I believe that's a typo in the spec finder. The LGA775 CPUs that support EM64T, as of today, are 3.xF P4's. No current 5xx or 5xxJ CPU in retail today supports EM64T, that I know of. The line that reads "This is an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 560" is incorrect.

I have a 551 that supports EM64T (x86-64). According to CPU-Z 1.28 it is an Engineering Sample.

p45512mz.jpg

This link gives more info on the 5x1 and 6x1 series P4s.

Back