55C Load, Or Is It?

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,169
While running two prime 95s on my 4400 @ stock, my motherboard says I'm at 55C. I measured the temperature of my heatsink at 33C. My room is mighty hot, could this be right? Or is my motherboard sensor wrong? Maybe I should refit my heatsink and make sure the AS5 is on right?
 
probably closer to 55.... at 33.... your room shouldnt be "mighty hot" if you have some kind of ac on.
 
serbiaNem said:
While running two prime 95s on my 4400 @ stock, my motherboard says I'm at 55C. I measured the temperature of my heatsink at 33C.
Being that the cpu temp is being measured from the on die sensor, yes, 55c is very likely, especially on the stock cooler.
 
Does the MSI take the temp from under the socket or from the die. The reason I ask is because I have a 4400+ @2.4 1.325v on an a8n-sli premium, and it seems to measure form the socket. The reason I think this is because in speedfan there are two temps that could likely be the CPU. One matches up with the bios reading (I think this is the socket) and rises very slowly and falls slowly but at idle is 7-10c higher than the other temp. The other temp rises instantly and falls just as quickly or a little bit slower. Under dual prime load they both seem to top out at around 50c but one idles at 36-37(socket?) and one idles at 29-30(Die?). This is with a lapped XP-90c, AS5, and a low output 92mm yate loon(2200rpm max ~34cfm) that never goes above 1800rpm and idles at 1350rpm. Also everest reports the CPU temp as the one that I think is the die sensor. Does everyone else have two temps that act like the CPU? Anyway I'd check with a few different programs and also touch the heatsink under full load. If it isn't very warm then the CPU isn't transferring the heat to it efficiently.
 
I measured in the fins. Also using an XP-90 with 92mm panaflow medium speed. Doesn't feel too hot to the touch.
 
I doubt that you installed the heatsink wrong. With those strong clips on the thermalrights i don't see how you could have, but i would check the AS5. Also i know alot of people have gotten the thermalrights with a concave center. I know when I lapped mine it was it was pretty concave. If this is the case on yours, there would be a pocket of air unless you used a ton of AS5 to fill it in. I would consider taking the heatsink off and doing the ruler and light test to see how true the base really is. I imagine the fins of the heatsink would be pretty cool with the fan blowing on them. That back fin doesn't get much air but i would still feel close to the base. Copper absorbs heat really fast and should be pretty hot.
 
Back
Top