• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

550w non modular or 520w modular

My main rig is modular, and I'll never go back to anything else lol...

if you want clean cut, go for modular
 
I have lots of drives, I go with the regular PSU. Then again, you probably don't, so go with the modular. Both are great PSUs.
 
Non modular. Just save the money, get more power. Reroute the extra cables behind the motherboard tray with some tape - its a 2 min job. .
 
go modular, it so much easier to clean up the cables when u don't have a bunch of useless/extra wires hanging around.
 
$25 is a lot for less power and you just need to tidy the cables easily with a few cable ties.

I will live with modular in direct exchange for less power, but not pay more for less stuff. If you have a HTPC stuffed like a Xmas turkey maybe yes, $25 might then save the day. I have both types of PSU and do not even remember that the modular one made any big difference once you closed the side cover.

If you buy the modular at the end of the day, remember not to lose the unsed cables. Seen too many units on Ebay with lost cables.
 
I would go for the modular. The wattage is so close that that shouldn't be a factor.
 
Yah I just ordered the 520, found it for $98 CDN.



lol, thanks for all the input after it was ordered. My case is somewhat tight so I think the modular will help me out in this situation. I kinda wish I spent the extra for the 620 but owell.

Foz
 
http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

my vote goes for non modular

PCP&C said:
3. DON'T LOSE POWER WITH MODULAR PLUGS


Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why professional system builders specify uninterrupted wire!
 
The resistance thing drives me nuts. It is so low that it isn't an issue.

As for the power, we already know that the HX620 is around 700-750W, not 620, so it is safe to presume that the HX520 is more towards a 600W power supply.
 
The resistance created is exceptionally small at the currents we are talking about here with a power supply to the point of being completely unrelevant. If the issue were so great there would be no plugs on the end of cables and power leads would be soldered directly to components. That issue is indeed a myth ;)

see this is where i disagree with you as part of my job in the airforce includes an electronic background and its always best to have as few connectors as possible or hardwire if u can(certain communication links in planes use gold terminals ;)). basically with the power cables you are increasing the chance of failure on the modular design.
 
It's a non-issue unless you're plugging them all in and taking them out over 9000 times a day.

The voltage drops, I won't even bother.

Gold plated: It's only good when both sides of the connection are gold plated. Most motherboards and hard drives and video cards don't use gold plated connectors.
 
Good choice going with the modular. I think you will find it much easier to manage all of the cables. I wish I had one
 
Back
Top