54g streaming video / wirless performance.

Safarji

Gawd
I am considering buying a Billion 7500G Wirless ADSL Router, which has W54G speeds.

I realise that if you have more than one wireless device that they basically all share the bandwidth, but thats ok, because I would only stream video when no other device is accessing the router.

I make alot of movies and am always moving around the house with a laptop, so Cat5 is out of the question. I would like to know what kind of streaming video performance I can expect out of a 54G wirless router.
I use mostly MPEG-2 & DivX Avi. I also have my DVD movie collection on hardcopy on my fileserver, which I load as images and already play them over my network (dvd images have an average bit rate of 8bmps).
However, I have noticed even on a 10Mbit wired network, it can be choppy at times (75% utilization - which is the maximum I can get out of it)

Thanks for your input.

There is like a 2400 packets per second limit, my benchmark on dlink hardware. Most likely hit that before bandwidth limit. 108/125 access points put more ethernet frames into a wireless frame "Fast Frames".

And don't mix 802.11b with 802.11g doing multicast or broadcast streaming, you will just have problems.

Edit: 2400pps was a 802.11b benchmark. g might be better. But no where near 17,000pps of wired performance.

Doubt have any problem with 8mbit movie going to one computer at a time. I think I did 4 streams of divx at once. ~1200kbps each, on 802.11b.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, I wouldn't think of getting 802.11b for streaming video as my 10mbit LAN already struggles with one computer fileserving to another streaming a 8mbps MPEG-2. However if 802g has an actual maximum throughput of 25-30mbps on a strong signal, I shouldn't have a problem I'd gather.

100mbit would of course always be the no-brainer and a cheaper alternative, but I need to move around a bit, I hate being stuck in one place.

Back