5400+ Black Edition

this may be powering my new build, where did you find info on these new chips?

I'm thinking about taking this cpu on to replace my aging 3800+.

Don't. The 400-500Mhz ain't worth it.

You'd be much better off getting a SB750 motherboard (with 780G it's still cheap) and a Phenom BE (not sure how good the non BEs work).

Or go Intel. :p

Just ordered one for my build. Actually replacing an X3 @ 2.6ghz, so we'll see if there's any differences.

:)

this may be powering my new build, where did you find info on these new chips?
I've scrounged around on Google with the part numbers to find various listings from other sources than AMD. Some motherboard vendors list yet-unreleased chips in their compatibility charts. See http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1294108 . There's still a possibility of the mentioned 6000+ Brisbane and/or a higher clocked BE chip yet to come before these K8s finally get laid aside for their 45nm successors.

You'd be much better off getting a SB750 motherboard (with 780G it's still cheap) and a Phenom BE (not sure how good the non BEs work).

Yeah that's true, but I don't really want to get another new motherboard just to get an intel. I doubt people would really want to buy my current board. I would rather max out what ever I can get right now, it'll save me some money for a total new system build in the future.

I think I just found my new CPU. Will just have to see how well it overclocks before I decide?

Those that bought it please report back your OCing results!

Those that bought it please report back your OCing results!

Indeed! I'm curious to see how much housepower can be produced by overclocking this puppy. I was looking for a 5000BE to replace my OC'd 3600 @2, and was disappointed when I couldn't get it anymore. Hopefully this lives up to is sibling or it's Intel for me.

I'm ordering one today, I just hope it has the G2 stepping. I'm assuming it does.
I wanted to get the model # from the OPN Tray, so I emailed Newegg, and there response was

"Unfortunately, we do not have a way to physically get our hands on our most current stock and tell you what revision we have at the moment."

Which kind of bummed me out, never had that happen to me in the past with newegg.

I'm ordering one today, I just hope it has the G2 stepping. I'm assuming it does.
I wanted to get the model # from the OPN Tray, so I emailed Newegg, and there response was

"Unfortunately, we do not have a way to physically get our hands on our most current stock and tell you what revision we have at the moment."

Which kind of bummed me out, never had that happen to me in the past with newegg.

Got to remember, Newegg has 3 warehouses, one in CA, one in TN, and one in NJ, if the CSR is in CA and the parts are in NJ then it would be pretty hard for him to go look at the parts :)

Well, there's this thing called a "phone" or "e-mail",,,LOL
They could've easily did one of them.
The one other thing I also thought, it could be a "direct ship" from AMD until Newegg gets it in to there warehouse.
Who knows, it's no big deal at this point, I'll find out soon enough when it gets here ;)

I'm going to give this a friendly shove as I'd like to hear of the OC results too. Reviews and tests seem to be vacant from Google.

Mine should be here tomorrow, if UPS runs on time.
The HSF might not be here though, latest should be Wednesday.

Im burning mine in overnight and ill be ocing tommorrow. Ill let u guys know.

Anyone dropping the 5400BE into a Biostar TF550SE by any chance? I know the last official bios update stated the the 5000BE was supported, but thats it. Curious to see if it will accept this processor as well.

If 400-500Mhz won't make a difference, why OC at all? I don't think many people get above that on AMD chis.

Anyone dropping the 5400BE into a Biostar TF550SE by any chance? I know the last official bios update stated the the 5000BE was supported, but thats it. Curious to see if it will accept this process as well.

this chip doesn't look to be any different than a 5000BE other than the default multiplier. i would be very surprised if your board didn't support this.

Got mine today.... 200x16 no prob @ 1.325vcore for 3.2ghz. Could prolly do 3.3-3.4ghz if I really sat and tweaked with it.

I'm pleased although I would have to agree its not much different than the 5000. It does, however, kick the snot out of my [email protected].

Just burned 'Assasination of Jesse James' movie (2hr 39min movie) in 17 minutes from start to end. I thought that was pretty good!

Got mine today.... 200x16 no prob @ 1.325vcore for 3.2ghz. Could prolly do 3.3-3.4ghz if I really sat and tweaked with it.

I'm pleased although I would have to agree its not much different than the 5000. It does, however, kick the snot out of my [email protected].

Just burned 'Assasination of Jesse James' movie (2hr 39min movie) in 17 minutes from start to end. I thought that was pretty good!

Nice results. It be good to see if this is consistent. Have you tried 200x17 (if your mobo supports it)?

I'd be real happy to see how far they really can be pushed, because since I've got my 5000+ BE, I've noticed a lot of people can't achieve 3.2 on them any longer.

Nice results. It be good to see if this is consistent. Have you tried 200x17 (if your mobo supports it)?

Im currently stress testing at [email protected] although, it is taking 1.47v core to run at this speed. I will let you guys know of my final overclock after Ive reached it.
Oh, Im using a Biostar TA770 A2+ and 2x1 OCZ reaper 1150

Mine will boot and load windows @ 3.4ghz as well. Unfortunately I do not like my proc idling in the 40's, so I knocked it back down to 3.2ghz @ 1.3-ish vcore. Much better temps which hover in the low 30's.

I think the chip really has potential with water, or more....

OK, CPU and HSF finally arrived!! Give me a couple hours to report back, working on 3 systems here, hehe

Mine will boot and load windows @ 3.4ghz as well. Unfortunately I do not like my proc idling in the 40's, so I knocked it back down to 3.2ghz @ 1.3-ish vcore. Much better temps which hover in the low 30's.

I think the chip really has potential with water, or more....

what program are you using for temp reporting?

used Speedfan 4.34 and the BIOS readings... Anyone have any other software progs that work for detecting temps/controlling case and CPU fans?

Had more work on the other systems then I realized,lol Any how I got mine running at 3.2 stock voltage. At first my idle temp was at 49c, changed the thermal compound and now getting 39c. Now I know AS5 has a shelf life,,lol
Need to get a new intake fan too, not enough cfm on the current one I'm running.

qwksi1 if you use HWMonitor you can see the (relatively) correct core temp. http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
It's the ACPI THRM and TMPIN2 reading. The individual core readings are to be ignored.

Thanks for the tip on HWmonitor.

It looks like my final oc is gonna be 3.36ghz 14x240. The voltage curve on mine gets real steep between 3.2 and 3.4. I needed 1.4 to get 3.2ghz, 1.45 for 3.36ghz and im still unstable at 3.4ghz at 1.5v and I dont want to put any more voltage to it on air. I dont really know the safe max voltages for a brisbane core. If anyone runs more than 1.5v 24/7 LMK please.

not bad clocks for a sub-$100 x2 chip. And like I said previously, it seems that the current 5000+ BE's are not totally capable of hitting 3.2 @ stock vcore (experience speaking as well). This might be a good buy for those who don't already have a higher speed chip.

My 3600+ brisbane has been running between 1.45v and 1.55v depending on how cool my ambient temp has been, those voltages give oc's of 3.0 to 3.15. Voltage definitely gets steep at the top, but I've noticed no problems with over 1.5v. And if it does die, oh well time for another $50 cpu to play with:D

I just ordered mine yesterday, arrives on Monday, I can't wait. I will let you guys know what I hit with it.

Im now at 3.4 at 1.52 volts stable. I threw a 3k rpm Ultra Kaze on the cooler and im going to try for more this week.

I am at 3.2 @ 1.425v, 2 hours into Orthos. Its only at 40 degrees celsius too, if coretemp is reading it correctly. :)

I've been on a leave of absence for quite a while...... :)

For those who have this at 3.2Ghz, how does it match up against say an E8400 at stock. I'd be interested in some benches to compare with.

Thanks.

Back