54 mbps on a 300mbps setup?

blackbeaSSt

2[H]4U
finally bit the bullet and upgraded to a sb6121 docsis 3.0 modem and a netgear wndr3400. while i was at it i put in a tp-link wn861n wireless card in my old thinkpad t42

but, i can't seem to get it working like i would have imagined it would.

installation went smooth (although i wasn't too sure about the black and white antennas and where they should go) with the tp drivers and wireless utility.

but when i opened the installed tp utility, i can't figure out how to connect to my network. it sees it in the utility but i don't see a "connect button"? also it seems to disable the windows wireless because i can't even find my network that way.

so i uninstalled just the utility and kept the driver. windows then picks up the network like normal and connects, but only at 54mbps.

what am i missing? why is the windows wireless showing 54mbps and why can't i connect using the tp utility?

Just use the windows software to control wireless, don't bother with the 3rd party stuff unless you have a specific need.

Make sure your AP is set to N speeds, and that should do it.

Just use the windows software to control wireless, don't bother with the 3rd party stuff unless you have a specific need.

Make sure your AP is set to N speeds, and that should do it.

yeah i messed around with the router settings to pick up n speeds. and like i said, when i uninstall the tp utility and let windows find it, thats when it connects to 54mbps.

also, to make sure it wasn't router settings, i checked it again with my old 108mbps router and still only connected at 54mbps. and i had that set to g speeds only.

i've uninstalled and tried 2 different sets of drivers for the card to no avail.

What type of security is on the network? You cannot use the HT rates unless the network is secured via AES or is left wide open. WEP/WPA will not connect at higher rates.

Anyway to try a different device? I'm thinking the router is probably fine, but the thinkpad might be picky... I have a similar problem with a Dell work laptop at home...

Anyway to try a different device? I'm thinking the router is probably fine, but the thinkpad might be picky... I have a similar problem with a Dell work laptop at home...

yeah im thinkin the same thing.

the antennas wouldn't have anything to do with it would they? the way i took it off the old card (left and right) is the way i put it on the new card.

What type of security is on the network? You cannot use the HT rates unless the network is secured via AES or is left wide open. WEP/WPA will not connect at higher rates.

That was my first thought. Make sure you are using WPA2/AES.

Try using Xirrus to check for other hotspots, you may not be able to use 40MHz bandwidth depending on contamination from other WAPs. I get higher speeds using 20MHz than 40.

What laptop model is it?

well changing it to wpa2 didn't help. here's a screenie with my old router still hooked up

i'll hook my new router back up and check it if i have time. but shouldn't the 108 router connect at 108mbps?

untitledMedium-1.jpg

well changing it to wpa2 didn't help. here's a screenie with my old router still hooked up

i'll hook my new router back up and check it if i have time. but shouldn't the 108 router connect at 108mbps?

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu351/blackbeasst/untitledMedium-1.jpg /IMG][/QUOTE]

those "Super G" routers required compatible "Super G" wireless cards, which were generally manufacture specific. So if you got the Super G Netgear router, it would require a Super G Netgear wireless adapter to get the "Super G" speeds.

those "Super G" routers required compatible "Super G" wireless cards, which were generally manufacture specific. So if you got the Super G Netgear router, it would require a Super G Netgear wireless adapter to get the "Super G" speeds.

ah. ok so the new n card won't work with old router huh!

i'll take a screenie of the new router when i can and post up.

thanks guys :cool:

Cant stream HD to xbox for Vudu or Cinemanow. Speed not 3.5 Mb which is needed for HD on Cinemanow.

I have Comcast and I pay for Performance 20Mbps with power Boost for internet speed, Windows 7, Intel Core I5 , Motorola SB 6120 and CAT 6a Cables. My xbox that is furthest away from the router says around 2.37Mb on Cinemanow now and the xbox closest gets up to 3.35 Mb which is still not good enough for HD according to Cinemanow(3.5Mb needed). Speedtest.com says my speed on my computer plugged into the router is 25.45Mb as the highest for my Download and 4.67 as the highest for my Upload

Last edited:
Cat 6 cables? You're connected via wifi? Try changing channels on the router. Go through them one by one from 1-11 and do a speedtest each time.

Alternately, you can make your own thread and post your question there.

Bingo.....Those super 108 Netgear radios are proprietary to Netgear.

Super 108 is/was a dead standard.

A new N card will work with an older router..... it's called wireless G and it connects at 54mbit max.

Your router is holding back your wireless card.

Complaining that your radio is the problem is the same as...going out as buying a blu-ray/DVD combo disk and complaining that it won't give you HD on your HD-DVD player.

Sorry, your HD-DVD player can not read the blu-ray part, but it can read the DVD part. So you get DVD quality. "HD-DVD" is a dead standard , the same as "Super 108" is a dead standard.

Last edited:
It's overkill with the Cat 6? I read they were faster than the Cat 5 so I bought them expecting more speed. I will try going through all the channels like you said. Before I do that I did scan my area and chose a channel nobody is on so that should have worked correct?

darcy, what the fuck are you talking about? please make your own thread.

mods please clean this one up for me. thanks

Back