• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

520W or 620W for this system?

Spiff1333

Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2002
Messages
992
I've been out of the enthusiast's pc market for awhile and I need some assistance. I'll probably be getting the Corsair 520 or 620 as they gets great reviews and I like the modular design.

For the follow system below what should I get.

Q6600
8800GT (when I can find one)
1 Hard drive (maybe two, but only when archiving, so not a lot of load when both are hooked up)
2 sticks of DDR2 (2GB each)
1 DVD-RW
1 X-Fi Audio card
3 case fans

I had initially thought the 620 as some of the reviews I've read show the Q6600 and 8800GT pulling about 200W each under load but talking with my brother who has been following the scene a little more closely said the 520 may be enough. Thoughts?

Thanks.
 
520w will be more than enough.

I purchased the 620w for my setup (based on what everybody said). I just finished putting together my system last night and connected my whole computer system to a Kill-a-watt. With my whole system running (computer, monitor, and speakers) and stressing cpu with prime95 and gpu with atitools at the same time, it was only around 380w.

At fully stock and with speedstep kicked in, the system only pulled around 170w at idle.
 
Q6600
8800GT (when I can find one)
1 Hard drive (maybe two, but only when archiving, so not a lot of load when both are hooked up)
2 sticks of DDR2 (2GB each)
1 DVD-RW
1 X-Fi Audio card
3 case fans

I've got the same exact system with 2 extra hard drives, 4 extra case fans, and it's overclocked... and my 12V rail measured using a DMM has yet to show any signs of weakness at all when under load.

The Q6600 and 8800GT might combine for 300W under load. I think my overclocked quad (based off some formula) pulls around 125W under load, and 8800GT, most likely about the same. And the HX520 is one of the few PSUs that can actually run up to their rated spec (which is why a lot of people say Corsair 'under-rates' their PSUs).
 
Back
Top