512mb Geforce 6800 Ultra

The RAM is slower than the 256mb models, plus there are hardly any games that would need to utilize 512mb.
 
What I found interesting was that the x800xl 512meg does awesome in HL2...but 512megs on the 6800Ultra didn't seem to help much at all...
 
^eMpTy^ said:
What I found interesting was that the x800xl 512meg does awesome in HL2...but 512megs on the 6800Ultra didn't seem to help much at all...

edit: Oh, there was a performance gain. Interesting. The 6800U 512mb sacrificed memory speed, whereas i dont think the x800xl did. It is interesting though, as in every other game, including doom3 which for sure uses that video memory, the 512mb x800xl didnt do that much more. It actually fell a little behind the 256mb one by a few tenths of an FPS.
 
Calis said:
sif need 512

Could you please post a complete sentence? I'd really like to know what needs 512 right now, besides Doom3. I don't know what "sif" is.
 
robberbaron said:
Could you please post a complete sentence? I'd really like to know what needs 512 right now, besides Doom3. I don't know what "sif" is.


Nothing right now needs 512MB, as you can see by the benchmarks it didn't help at all, .5FPS gain to like 2 FPS gain, you might as well throw down another ~$300 and get 2 x 256MB 6800 Ultras (assuming the price for a 512 is $899) If you don't even need that much power you could always go for the 2 X 6800GT SLi and still do better then the 512MB AND save some money :]
 
Hexus0 said:
Nothing right now needs 512MB, as you can see by the benchmarks it didn't help at all, .5FPS gain to like 2 FPS gain, you might as well throw down another ~$300 and get 2 x 256MB 6800 Ultras (assuming the price for a 512 is $899) If you don't even need that much power you could always go for the 2 X 6800GT SLi and still do better then the 512MB AND save some money :]
your logic is flawed because if you bought 6800 GTs instead of one 512 megabyte Ultra, you wouldn't have 512 megabytes. I think they should tape some more RAM chips to the outside of the heatsink and call it the 1024 megabyte Ultra. Wow what an amazing performance boost. I need to change my shorts.

Does buying something absolutely pointless = e-penis++ :confused:
 
Back
Top