512MB DDR Enough?

Andrew87

Limp Gawd
Just wondering what everyone on the [H] thought about this. I have one stick of Corsair XMS PC3500 C2 with the Platinum Heatspreader running at 2-2-2-6 running at FSB205 (206 maybe) and it never seems to even reach 50% full unless I'm ripping a CD, which it will peak at around 496MB and vary a few mb around there until the CD ripping is done. I do use my PC to game do schoolwork and even the odd spot of video editing and 512MB seems to be sufficient. Does running another 512MB stick in Dual Channel actually make a noticable difference? I'm not talking benchmarks here, but gaming performance, video editing etc.

Andrew :).

no, but it makes you look cool

I actually had 1.5gigs until I moved to my iDEQ, now im at 1gig.

Originally posted by Andrew87
Does running another 512MB stick in Dual Channel actually make a noticable difference? I'm not talking benchmarks here, but gaming performance, video editing etc.
It will make a crapload of difference, especially with the uses you mentioned.

Go for the gig

Edit: i'll agree with ullyeus on the 1.5 gig aspect, but 1 gig will reduce choppiness in games and make the biggest difference in video editing

Originally posted by SJetski71
It will make a crapload of difference, especially with the uses you mentioned.

Go for the gig

Edit: i'll agree with ullyeus on the 1.5 gig aspect, but 1 gig will reduce choppiness in games and make the biggest difference in video editing

Well Yes and No.

I'm guessing he has an AMD system so dual channel makes like a 3% performance difference when enabled. If he had an Intel system then yes it would make a big difference as far as available bandwidth.

An extra 512MB of RAM though definately helps out video editing and running heavy applications like Photoshop or 3ds max. If you were a gamer you'd also greatly benefit from more RAM because it really cuts down on load times.

Yes I say 1GB is recommended now.... and Dual Channel is always a good performance boost...

More ram is almost always good, but dual channel on AMD doesn't get you nearly as big a boost as it does on Intel P4 systems.

Dual channel on those suckas screams!

1 gig is good if you photochop all the time !
Also doing crayz things with massive files if a tad faster...

If u have the money do it! Youll be ready for future applications which demand more mem from your comp

I noticed quite a difference going from 512 to a gig. Everything is more snappy.

Best 2 upgrades of 2003 for me

1. 512mb --> Gig
2. ++ Raptorz

These two pwned the processor jumpage (had a 2400, 1700 at some point this year), new optical drives, new storage drive, blah blah blah...

Cliff notes

Go gig. Now.

Originally posted by emorphien
Don't go more than 512 unless you're using Win 2k or XP.

and on that note... who ever is using something older than 2k... should seriously think about killing themselfs

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
and on that note... who ever is using something older than 2k... should seriously think about killing themselfs

This is true.

what an immature post, OMG ur car/house/game/insert whatever here/ is more than 3 years old go kill urself at once:rolleyes:

btw its themselves not themselfs IDIOT

Originally posted by [Neural Interface]
what an immature post, OMG ur car/house/game/insert whatever here/ is more than 3 years old go kill urself at once:rolleyes:

btw its themselves not themselfs IDIOT

Oh come now, he's teasing. And besides 95/98 do suck, ME might be newer than 2k (i forgot) but it sucks just as hard. lol

I'm running a gig in both my and the wife's machines; both running XP Pro. Very smooth. Required...?? Nope. Nice to have...?? No question.....

I still recommend and occasionally use SE / ME for old dog hardware, but if the system will run XP it's a no lose deal, to be sure. Over the Christmas holidays, I rebuilt several PC's for my kids / family members, and I think only one out of seven systems got ME installed on it (old P2-233). XP pro on the rest.

Regards - B.B.S.

I wouldn't bother putting anything besides Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 on anything. The other stuff is just too outdated.

I agree with XP being good and all I use XPpro but it was the go kill themselves part that was stupid:rolleyes:

btw 98SE is better than ME (stability mainly)

Well I'd say it should cover you. Although you'd want to go for a gig. But I'm broke, so I'm using 256mb, and it seems to run everything fine.

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
Originally posted by emorphien
This is true.

*ouch*..i still love Win98 (however, my new system will have WinXP Pro...)

Back