512 MB cards confirmed by ATI, Gainward

Any games coming that will actually make use of that?

Or will we see a lot like what 256mb was for it's first couple of years of existence?

Doom 3's Ultra High Super Duper mode is supposed to need 512MB to fit all the textures into memory.

Wolf-R1 said:
Any games coming that will actually make use of that?
Doom 3 Ultra High Quality mode by default, of course. :p
---
poopy: the gainward announcement isn't too surprising since the Quadro FX 3400 is the same core (1 resistor is moved on the package) as the 6800 and those have been shipping with 512MB for a while.

I think that 512 requirement by Doom3 for the Ultra mode is lame. I can run it just fine on my 6800gt. Running through thr timedemo there was no difference between it and the High mode. Granted it may show up in the game during play but there is also hardly any decernible (sp?) difference bewteen the two as far as image quality. But I think 512 cards will be like 256 cards for a little while till games using the Unreal3 engine and such start coming out.

Blauman said:
I think that 512 requirement by Doom3 for the Ultra mode is lame. I can run it just fine on my 6800gt.
I used to do the same thing on my old 6800GT. I saw at most a 2-3 fps difference at 1600x1200 8xAF in timedemo demo1, where both scores were above 60fps.

Ultra actually even works on my 128MB 6600GT without much of a performance impact. At 1600x1200 8xAF (same timedemo demo1), I get HQ: 49fps, UHQ: 46fps. If you have a lot of memory (1GB), Ultra mode seems to work fine since it has to hold all level data uncompressed. IMO, UHQ looks a little better than HQ mode, but the differences are only visible close up where you can see the texture details.

One gamer will get to take one home, said Rich Heye, vice president of ATI's desktop discrete division.

And that'll be the only person to ever own one. :D

Dr. X said:
And that'll be the only person to ever own one. :D
I can't believe you said that. :mad: The major review sites will also get one each. Then that will be the only people to ever own those. :p

LOL Press Edition

pxc said:
I can't believe you said that. :mad: The major review sites will also get one each. Then that will be the only people to ever own those. :p

LOL Press Edition

hahahah

Brainless Q...

Do two 256 meg cards in SLi "meet the 512 requirement" of Super Duper Ultra Mega High Hyper Crack Edition Mode in D3?

Triple B said:
Brainless Q...

Do two 256 meg cards in SLi "meet the 512 requirement" of Super Duper Ultra Mega High Hyper Crack Edition Mode in D3?

having two 256mb cards in SLI doesn't equal 512 since each card has to store the same ( or really similar... ) textures, maps, z-buffers, etc...

justacow said:

Jesus christ, You could have warned me that was .pdf My crappy old computer spent 5 minutes loading it.

Also,even if Gainward released a press release, I havnt heard anything from ATI, so I am inclined to be suspicious of the Inq.

I suspect R520 ref

J-Mag said:
having two 256mb cards in SLI doesn't equal 512 since each card has to store the same ( or really similar... ) textures, maps, z-buffers, etc...

The Inq also claimed in their article that two 512MB cards equal 1 512MB card. Which is also not the case.

imagine this.... two geforce 6800 Ultras with 512 memory in SLI..... for a total of 1gig.
Pointless??? yes Awsome??? yes

Hate_Bot said:
Jesus christ, You could have warned me that was .pdf My crappy old computer spent 5 minutes loading it.

Also,even if Gainward released a press release, I havnt heard anything from ATI, so I am inclined to be suspicious of the Inq.

I suspect R520 ref

Sheesh, you sure are full of hate. lol

The thread title says it is confirmed by ATi, I'm guessing you didn't read that part.

Here is the ATi press release, or, you can Google for yourself..........:

ATI Invites Gamers to Tweak Their PCs With the PROs and Get a Sneak Peek at the World's First 512MB Gaming Card

Hate_Bot said:

I suspect R520 ref

HAHA my p2 beat your time by 2 minutes, sux it down :p
I fell for it also....

pxc said:
I used to do the same thing on my old 6800GT. I saw at most a 2-3 fps difference at 1600x1200 8xAF in timedemo demo1, where both scores were above 60fps.

Ultra actually even works on my 128MB 6600GT without much of a performance impact. At 1600x1200 8xAF (same timedemo demo1), I get HQ: 49fps, UHQ: 46fps. If you have a lot of memory (1GB), Ultra mode seems to work fine since it has to hold all level data uncompressed. IMO, UHQ looks a little better than HQ mode, but the differences are only visible close up where you can see the texture details.

Maybe for your Nvidia card, but my x800 gets a lot of stuttering/pausing. The game runs fine once into memory, but if it's not, it's really annoying.

bboynitrous said:
Maybe for your Nvidia card, but my x800 gets a lot of stuttering/pausing. The game runs fine once into memory, but if it's not, it's really annoying.
In Ultra mode? I would understand in HQ/MQ/LQ because the textures have to be converted after getting read from disk, but Ultra quality just uses the textures as is.

You're probably CPU limited with that AXP and video card, unlike the case with my 6600GT. Plus, depite many saying that RAID0 has no "real-world" benefits, bursting textures from disk as needed from a SATA RAID0 is a lot faster than a single hard drive of the same speed (common 7200RPM, for example). Also it just seems that loading textures from memory would just be plain faster over a 4GB/s PCI-E bus than over a 2GB/s AGP8x bus. Or maybe ATI's driver handles the texture management worse than nvidia's driver for Doom3.

awesome now we just need some games to take advantage of a full 128 mb or higher texture buffer

Back