500GB SATAII 7200.10 $69

Was there when he posted it, died like 4 mins later. I saw one listed, went to order, and before it even got in my cart they were all gone. ;)

It was posted earlier on slickdeals, the home of ebay sellers and price hunters. Any good deal posted there usually goes out of stock minutes later.

I ordered one this AM... early bird gets the worms..

I was looking at the 7200.11 drives, but man oh man they really seem to have a lot of problems.. All my 7200.10 drives have been flawless.

Looks like NewEgg cleaned up some of the reviews... I was looking at the 500 gig 7200.11 and there was a shitload of complaints.. There are still some DOAs and complaints of early death out there, but I swear not as many as the other day

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288

Other complaints were that they were noisy after a few months ... then died.. Maybe many of these idiots did not cool it enough, and I would have rather had a 7200.11.. but after the numerous reviews I read, it deterred me from buying one.

Oh well.

Anyone used this drive? I am in the market for a new storage drive. My old one just died on me all of a sudden. I am a bit nervous reading the reviews about the the stability and noise. It seems intermittetent, but I've already just had one storage drive die on me. I don't want to have another.

whatever you say. i must be completely mistaken about my own equipment. sorry.

You simply can't compare a 10k rpm drive to a 7200k. The access times on 7200rpm drives are just too slow to say they are "faster" or "almost as fast". If you look at random IOP's, access time, etc they aren't close.

The same can be said between 15k & 10k scsi and (good) ssd vs 15k scsi. When I say "good ssd" I do'nt mean the 40x $8 cf cards.

I just cancelled my order... I want a 7200.11.. I already have 4 7200.10's

You simply can't compare a 10k rpm drive to a 7200k. The access times on 7200rpm drives are just too slow to say they are "faster" or "almost as fast". If you look at random IOP's, access time, etc they aren't close.

If you look at canned benchmarks; they look great on paper. In real world applications you usually won't even notice the difference in speed.

The latest most expensive Raptor can copy a 7.5 GB file in 100 seconds. A much less expensive drive with a lot more storage takes a whopping 101 seconds. Wow, what an impressive performance advantage. Instead of waiting a whole 37.5 seconds for a Crysis level to load the newest Raptor can do it 36.9, an amazing .6 seconds faster. I don't know what I'd do with all that extra time. Latest most expensive Raptor benchmarks.

I'll stick with the bigger less expensive drives, that are almost as fast.

If you look at canned benchmarks; they look great on paper. In real world applications you usually won't even notice the difference in speed.

The latest most expensive Raptor can copy a 7.5 GB file in 100 seconds. A much less expensive drive with a lot more storage takes a whopping 101 seconds. Wow, what an impressive performance advantage. Instead of waiting a whole 37.5 seconds for a Crysis level to load the newest Raptor can do it 36.9, an amazing .6 seconds faster. I don't know what I'd do with all that extra time. Latest most expensive Raptor benchmarks.

I'll stick with the bigger less expensive drives, that are almost as fast.
i think i can agree with this, i must say when i first got my raptor a year or two ago(the 16mb) i was not impressed with it, nothing seemed better, and if anything i dont know why but once i installed windows on it instead of my 7200 it seemed slower, but i just keep thinking its better since its faster but honestly i just dont see it for anything other than bragging rights, I will say though multiplayer games load quick though and i usually am the first in the server.

ordered one. I'm down to about 20-30 gigs in my media center out of 900gigs so this should help for a while. I'm hoping I won't need more then this extra drive for quite some time. thanks for the heads up

That is what I'd like to know too. From reviews I've read, how quiet and reliable these drives are seems to vary.

That is what I'd like to know too. From reviews I've read, how quiet and reliable these drives are seems to vary.

The 7200.10 is considered to be the best all-around SATA drive. Not as quiet as some, not as fast as others, but not less than average in any single category. These are highly recommended drives.

Thanks for the link, I ordered 2.

Looks like they bumped it up to $74.99.
Yep, SALE OVER.

Although still not a bad price... only $5 more.

I'd bite if it were retail. I learned from personal experience last year that the 5-year warranty DOES NOT apply to bulk packaged or OEM drives. I was told directly by Seagate CS that OEM drives have NO factory warranty... despite what many resellers advertise. They are only covered by the return policy of the reseller or the warranty of the PC manufacturer.

Well I've never heard such a thing. A warranty is a warranty, period. I've purchased IBM/Hitachi, Maxtor (pre-Seagate buyout), Fujitsu, Toshiba, Samsung, and Western Digital OEM hard drives - and yes, Seagate too - from places like Fry's, Newegg, CompUSA, and other sources located through PriceWatch in the past 10 years. Whenever something came up that required me to return the drive (RMA) I just went to the website, punched in the info, and as long as the drive showed up as still being inside the factory warranty they never failed to replace the drive.

I don't know what some Seagate CSR might have been smoking, but warranties come from the factory, the OEM itself, not from whoever you buy the hardware from. If Seagate sells a drive to a reseller, it's not the job of the reseller to "warranty" the hardware, it's the job of Seagate to handle it.

I'd be all over 'em if I had a piece of hardware that someone said wasn't covered and I had plenty of time left on a warranty. As just stated, go to the website, find the warranty/RMA pages, punch in the drive info (model/serial number, etc) and see what their own systems say. Don't take a human's word for it, they'll lie, cheat, and steal to keep their jobs as required.

There's no reason to call them on the phone about such a return, use the automated service from their website that all of them offer.

Yep, SALE OVER.

Although still not a bad price... only $5 more.

I'd bite if it were retail. I learned from personal experience last year that the 5-year warranty DOES NOT apply to bulk packaged or OEM drives. I was told directly by Seagate CS that OEM drives have NO factory warranty... despite what many resellers advertise. They are only covered by the return policy of the reseller or the warranty of the PC manufacturer.
That is false. I had to RMA a Seagate drive after 4 years that started clicking very badly. I didn't have any issues and they sent me a new driver of twice the capacity.

There's no reason to call them on the phone about such a return, use the automated service from their website that all of them offer.

That's exactly what I did. Whenever I entered the Serial # of the drive into the RMA form, it told me the drive wasn't eligible. That is why I called Seagate by phone. I had the receipt and the drive was only 1 yr. old.

Seagate CS took the Serial # from me, and said, "Oh wait, that's an OEM branded drive." And to paraphrase the remainder of the conversation...

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

So, don't ask me what was up with that. Their response was based on the Serial #. This was the only Seagate I've ever had to RMA. I did contact NewEgg to ask "WTF??". They would neither confirm nor deny. They just kept repeating, "warranty is subject to the terms of the manufacturer." OK, bend me over.

NewEgg did however offer me 25% off of a replacement drive. LMAO. I bought two.

Back