500gb HDD - $59.99

Gomar

Limp Gawd
Picked up a portable HDD 500gb - $59.99 from J and R . com
Hitachi HXSMNA5001 500GB X Mobile Drive Portable Hard Drive

Storage capacity is amazing, and it's small and light; per 1gb cost is 0.12c.

They have a desktop hdd 1TB - $80.

Link?

I did a quick search over there and could not find an $80 1tb drive.

Link?

I did a quick search over there and could not find an $80 1tb drive.

Search for LSDBUB10001 or LSDPUB10001, both are Hitachi 1TB external USB 3.5" drives, $79.95'ish. The LSDPUB10001 comes with a 4GB thumbdrive as well.

Search for LSDBUB10001 or LSDPUB10001, both are Hitachi 1TB external USB 3.5" drives, $79.95'ish. The LSDPUB10001 comes with a 4GB thumbdrive as well.

Ah, okay. I was searching for an internal 3.5" drive.

I would definitely look in the FSFT if I needed a drive. You can grab various ones much cheaper than that (and yes I do have a 1.5TB drive in there for less than that 1TB drive).

The WD I have (passport) is an excelent purchase... right up to the time and point where the plug doesn't connect and you have to start doing the wiggle dance with it and waste minutes on end trying for the drive to show up on my desktop.

It is annoying that hard drives are now this expensive. Natural disasters are dumb. I'm pretty sure I bought most of my samsung 2tb drives at like $70 or $80 shipped.

It is annoying that hard drives are now this expensive. Natural disasters are dumb. I'm pretty sure I bought most of my samsung 2tb drives at like $70 or $80 shipped.

this. bought last few of my 2TB western digital black drives for $79. 1TB Samsung drives were $59. natural disasters fuck things up.

The WD I have (passport) is an excelent purchase... right up to the time and point where the plug doesn't connect and you have to start doing the wiggle dance with it and waste minutes on end trying for the drive to show up on my desktop.

Same thing seems to be happening with my drive. It doesnt show up, and I cant read it. I have to wiggle the cables and connector for it to be recognized. Man, what a bummer. Guess I wont be trashing my DVDs after all.

I could only find one for $69.99, the Hitachi 500GB LifeStudio Mobile 2.5" USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Graphite. Anyone have any experience taking that one apart???

This seems to be much cheaper than the bare 2.5" SATA drives so I may bite on one to rip apart and put the drive in my PS3... Damn 250gb had in there flaked out so I'm back to an 80gb and out of space again...

**edit** - On further searching the one I posted above can be had for the same price at Amazon or Buy with free shipping. Still seems to be a decent deal though...

These may be good deals, but I will wait until prices come back down, or I NEED to buy a drive. Supply and demand is a two way street. Thank you to the OP for those who do need something now.

These may be good deals, but I will wait until prices come back down, or I NEED to buy a drive. Supply and demand is a two way street. Thank you to the OP for those who do need something now.

You do know it may be a pretty long while before the prices come back down and they may not come back down to where they were pre-flood. Estimates are mid to late 2012...

You do know it may be a pretty long while before the prices come back down and they may not come back down to where they were pre-flood. Estimates are mid to late 2012...

Holy crap that long? Man I am screwed as I am almost done putting together a nice ass HTPC and I was planning on putting two 3 TB hard drives in RAID.

May have to settle for the cheapest 2 TB I can find now.

Holy crap that long? Man I am screwed as I am almost done putting together a nice ass HTPC and I was planning on putting two 3 TB hard drives in RAID.

May have to settle for the cheapest 2 TB I can find now.

You also have to consider this: are the hard drive makers enjoying these jacked up prices so much that they collude to keep the prices artificially high even after their production is back to 100%? Only time will tell.

You also have to consider this: are the hard drive makers enjoying these jacked up prices so much that they collude to keep the prices artificially high even after their production is back to 100%? Only time will tell.

The answer is most likely, Yes, but they are smart enough not no make it look that way.

But how many less units do they sell because of the higher prices?

It's all a game of give and get, you give a little by lowering prices and you get more sales which translates to more profits. The prices that they used to sell at were exactly that.

I just bought a portable 500gb Hitachi from J and R (NYC) for $59.99
They have a desktop 1TB for $80.

For what it is worth I just bought a [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Western Digital 750 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD7500AALX from Amazon for $59.01 + $6.61 shipping from The Price Pros via Amazon's Marketplace.

Not quite pre-flood pricing but a fairly decent deal, I thought.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

For what it is worth I just bought a [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Western Digital 750 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD7500AALX from Amazon for $59.01 + $6.61 shipping from The Price Pros via Amazon's Marketplace.

Not quite pre-flood pricing but a fairly decent deal, I thought.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Not any more, I bought the last one, now you're back at $120 for the same drive.

To those who think that manufactures are colluding to artificially raise prices, there is always a delay. For example, HDDs on the shelf didn't start reflecting the higher price till after the flood hit. Now that production is close to (not 100%) previous capacity it will still take the market to auto-correct. The system is elastic, yet there is always bias too.

Can't wait for prices to fall back to where they were. I need a 3TB to backup my movies and that 109.00 drive is now 250.00, can't bring myself to buy a drive right now trying to hold out as long as I can.

I wonder when hard drive prices will return back to earth. By summertime maybe? Remember when RAM prices shot up 2-3 years ago and is now cheap as dirt once again. I hope the same happens w/ HDDs sooner than later! And with SSDs to come down in price as well. I know I'm asking for too much. :eek:

I wonder when hard drive prices will return back to earth. By summertime maybe? Remember when RAM prices shot up 2-3 years ago and is now cheap as dirt once again. I hope the same happens w/ HDDs sooner than later! And with SSDs to come down in price as well. I know I'm asking for too much. :eek:

I've heard the time line of about 3 months... but then again they said 3 months 3 months ago

I myself am hoping the high HD prices helps drive mainstream SSD adoption, expanded SSD production capacity, further economies of scale, etc. leading to the commodotization of SSD's rather than them being an enthusiast/high end business performance product.

Realistically many mainstream users aren't going to notice 120 GB vs 500 GB and some probably wouldn't even notice if they only had 60 GB, but those same users would notice WOW things sure do load fast.

Unfortunately I don't see this happening even though a 60 or 64 GB SSD is right in this same price range. Fear of running out of space even though they never use more than 40 GB and all that nonsense and 120GB seeming like too much more money.

Posted from a computer using 82 of 148 GB after formatting of a "160 GB" SSD. Realistically I could probably downsize myself, but 120 GB oh noes so small, I'm afraid!

I've heard the time line of about 3 months... but then again they said 3 months 3 months ago
Yeah, I guess we'll keep waiting and eventually the prices will come down. I think it's a matter of when and not if, but patience will be a hard virtue. :(

ok people, mind telling me which flood you are all referring to? There hasnt been any floods in NYC for a long while. J&R has best prices for HDDs, lower than Best Buy's. 1TB - $80 is awesome.

ok people, mind telling me which flood you are all referring to? There hasnt been any floods in NYC for a long while. J&R has best prices for HDDs, lower than Best Buy's. 1TB - $80 is awesome.

We had a flood in Dallas yesteday... does that count? I didn't see any hard drives floating around the waters but do hds float?

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

We had a flood in Dallas yesteday... does that count? I didn't see any hard drives floating around the waters but do hds float?

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

Yeah, about 6" of rain the past couple days in the D/FW area put a nice dent into our drought. :cool:

David Letterman should do a "Will it float" thing for hard drives. :D

Back