500 watts enough for future graphics cards?

AndeeG

n00b
I'm looking to build a new system based on an e6600. I was planning on getting the x1900xt 256mb but suddenly everyone ran out of stock at the same time. Now I'm planning on getting a x1950 pro since it seems to be a fairly decent card for a good price. The reason I'm getting such an inexpensive graphics card is that I'm planning on upgrading to a dx10 capable one some time next year. As far as I've heard, 430 watts is plenty for a single card solution right now. My question is, will a 500 watt card be enough for a high end single card, say, 9 months from now?

it depends on the specific psu and the rails. i would go higher than that. which ones were you looking at?

jcll2002 said:
it depends on the specific psu and the rails. i would go higher than that. which ones were you looking at?

I was looking at the S12 and NeoHE but I just read some positive comments about the Corsair HX520w. It's modular and is supposedly quiet for the same price as an s12 500w.

Seasonic and PC&C make quality power supplies.
Antec NeoHE are made by Seasonic.
Corsair is made by Seasonic

OCZ are okay, but a lil overrated
Forton is quality but I hear time over time that Seasonic / PC&C is still better.
Enermax are made by someone I forgot.
Jonnyguru is the "guru" of power supplies. I read a lot of his reviews, and thoughts.

I say 500w of quality PSU is good, but quality PSU is definitely 70+ bucks, I say 70 because the NeoHE 550 is $70 shipped at outpost.
But that is a rare exception.
Closing thoughts, don't skimp on memory or PSU.

the corsair HX520 should be enough for a single DX10 card. it has plenty of volts to spare on everything.

Any quality 500W PSU can handle any single DX10 card, or low end DX10 CF/SLi.

Bbq said:
the corsair HX520 should be enough for a single DX10 card. it has plenty of volts to spare on everything.
An excellent suggestion!

I can say from personal experience these Corsair PSU's (520W/620W) are great PSU's! :D

As they all say.. dont skimp on the PSU.

I got a Seasonic 600W and am very happy with it. Ultra stable and quiet. Not the cheapest however.

Brav said:
As they all say.. dont skimp on the PSU.

So true, but IMO that saying is so wide spread that people have gotten into buying whatever comes the most expensive. The Enhance ENP line is fairly cheap and for the quality is a great value, and I'd never consider an Enhance supply "skimping".

dBTelos said:
So true, but IMO that saying is so wide spread that people have gotten into buying whatever comes the most expensive. The Enhance ENP line is fairly cheap and for the quality is a great value, and I'd never consider an Enhance supply "skimping".

yup. i get tired when some recommend PCP&C for even low and mid range systems. then they spread that "oh its the most important hardware," BS. there are alternatives folks.

the Antec Neo HE 550W (apparently a seasonic) have delievered, for me, the most stable constant voltages iv ever seen, load or idle, hot or cold, according to the voltage readings i can get (which is pretty much everything short of a multimeter), its a constant 11.9V on 12V rails and 1.7V (asking for 1.7V) on Vcore.

big fan of this PSU.

I'm using the Antec NeoHE 500 and I fully expect it to power my 8800GTS when the time comes.

Back