• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

500 watt Antec Smartpower be enough.

Lestang

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
451
Will this PSU Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail be enough to power my new rig when the parts come.


Update EPoX EP-9NDA3J Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: EP-9NDA3J
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $86.50 $86.50
Memory - SystemQty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update TwinMOS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model TMSP400/512 - Retail
Model #: TMSP400/512
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $51.95 $103.90
Power SuppliesQty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: SP-500
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $84.00 $84.00
ProcessorsQty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3200BPBOX
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $199.00 $199.00

I will keep my DVD drive my CDRW drive and have 2 harddrives maybe 3.
ATI RADEON 8500 64 Meg. gonna wait tell Vid cards go down in price more. I might add 2 more fans. I will be looking to upgrade to a geforce 6600 GT if prices go do enough I might upgrade to a 6800 GT .

Will the Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
have enough juice. forgot I may also add another 2 sticks at end of summer also.
 
yes..I have an antec smartpower 1 450w, running athlon 64 3200+ OC'ed, 6800 ultra, 1 gig ram, 2 Hdd, 2 dvd and cd drives, 6 fans..etc.....running fine, the smartpower 2 ahs dual rails and will rape mines....
 
"OO 85 dollar budget? get the antec 430 TRUEpower2"

Why would you suggest the 430 over the 500 watt Smartpower?

The Truepower 430 is 90.00 a little more then budgeted for a PSU.

The Smartpower 500 looks like it has a little more headroom.
 
You get the 3% voltage regulation with all the TruePower (old and new) series. Fan-only connections keep noise to a minimum. The 120mm fan will flow more air out of the case than the low-speed 80mm fans.

For $6 more, I'd shoot for the TruePower II 430W. Though if you can't, the SmartPower II 500W will be more than enough.
 
However, the "SmartPower" series isn't recommended for overclocking, correct? I remember a while ago there were many people not liking the SP series and preferred the TruPower over that, for the sake of stability while overclocking. I'm not sure if SPII is the new + improved series. :)

-J.
 
well, what U can say is the smartpower 1 which I own, is crap on the 12v rail for the system I have....I can barely OC my 6800 ultra by 20 mhz on the memory...stable..and I cant overclock both my cpu/videocard @ the smae time or 3dmark will drop alot.
 
Would the TP 2 430 watt have enough power to OC a little bit. it is now 80 and the 500 wat Smartpower is 70.00.
 
The SmartPowers are PSUs of basic spec compliance and do their intended job very well. When you push them, they may start to get temperamental. They do offer a lot of headroom and quality for their price bracket, though they are not for more hardcore enthusiasts.

The TruePower II series will hold their voltages better all-around. If you're overclocking at all, shoot for the TruePower II.
 
Would 430 watts be enough though? Thats what I am concerned about? I may want to push the 3200 to 3400 speeds or even 3500 speeds.
 
Watts mean nothing these days, you should know that. ;)

Pushing the 3200+ Winchester to 2.2GHz is a very easy task...
 
I am getting the 3200 Venice. Thought about the 3500 but Newegg doesn't have the retail version.
 
I suggest you to get OEM 3200+ Venice and slap on a XP-90C and you'll be on your way to 3800+ CPU for free, almost.

-J.
 
Will the Truepower 430 still be enough when I upgrade to a GeForce 6800 GT or Ultra.
 
I think I will get the TP 2 480 watt PSU for 85.00 that should work fine with the Epox MB I am getting. My system be silent is not all that important, being stable is. www.ewiz.com if anyone else wants that supply.

Thought you might like this price too.

Antec TruePower 2.0 550W 24/20pin Power Supply $97.85
 
Bump!

I'm helping a co-worker build a computer and he has a 6800GT PCI-E card with an Antec SP-500 power supply. It came with a six-pin PCI-E power connector that has one end with six metal clips (one in each slot), but the other end only has four metal clips. Which one plugs into the PSU and which one the video card? The end labelled "PCI-E" twice has the six clips. I'm guessing this is the end for the video card. :confused:
 
Yes, the plastic outer shells are the same and both ends look like 6-pin connectors, but one end has all 6 inner metal clips whereas the other end has only 4 metal clips. The case/power supply manual doesn't mention this at all and the eVGA 6800GT video card manual doesn't mention the possibility of this difference at all either. Like I said, I'm guessing the PCI-E labelled side with 6 metal clips probably goes into the video card, but I would like some confirmation on this. Surely someone here has this power supply and a PCI-E card that requires an extra connector? :confused:
 
SkaarjMaster said:
Yes, the plastic outer shells are the same and both ends look like 6-pin connectors, but one end has all 6 inner metal clips whereas the other end has only 4 metal clips. The case/power supply manual doesn't mention this at all and the eVGA 6800GT video card manual doesn't mention the possibility of this difference at all either. Like I said, I'm guessing the PCI-E labelled side with 6 metal clips probably goes into the video card, but I would like some confirmation on this. Surely someone here has this power supply and a PCI-E card that requires an extra connector? :confused:

I bought this PSU yesterday. I don't have a PCI-E system but the 6-pin connector probably goes to the PSU because the Molexes I was plugging in were 6 pins on the PSU end.
 
Well, someone at another forum told me the 6 metal pins go to the video card and the 4 metal pins go to the PSU, so I hooked it up that way and it worked. It would have been nice for Antec to put that in the manual even though that 6 metal pin end was labelled PCI-E twice. All that really means to me is that it is a PCI-E cord; although, I suspected it went to the video card. Sounds like Antec missed the boat on that part of their manual. :eek:
 
They also have a problem with carrying more molex connectors for this power supply in stock I've call to order more they keep telling me to call back next week and it's been a month. :rolleyes:
 
What amazed me about the SP-500 PSU is that it only had four connections in the back. I would expect at least five or six. What do all the people that want to hook up a bunch of devices do?
 
Back
Top