50% will never do

Celerator

[H]ard|Gawd
One of the new P4 2.67's that I recently added reports 100% cpu utilization in Task Manager Performance, but when I look at FAH
in Task Manager Processes, it seems to top out at 50%. Normally it runs FAH at about 99%. [color=sky blue]I can't see anything that is using
the other cycles.[/color] :confused: Recently I started running pcAnywhere host on it (that's how I got in to check it). Any ideas what might
be happening? It's turning in frame times that seem about 50% of normal speed even when I'm not connected via pcanywhere.
Coulld pcanywhere host be taking 50% of the cycles? Why doesn't the cpu utilizations add up to 100%? :confused:

[edit] I tried running pcanywhere host on my home boxen and it doesn't seem to steal any cycles...FAH is 98%. [/edit]

[edit 2] I went into the system again and checked. There was an instance of FAH running under the admin account and one under the user account! Not cool. I think I have it fixed now. [/edit 2]

90000.gif

Like heslo says, if it's a new P4 C part it has Hyperthreading in the processor, which leaves you with two choices. Either go into the BIOS and turn off Hyperthreading, which will devote 100% of the CPU to your single instance or set up and run another folder/client just like you would if it was a dual CPU machine. Either way should get you 100% of the processor.

Originally posted by CIWS
Like heslo says, if it's a new P4 C part it has Hyperthreading in the processor, which leaves you with two choices. Either go into the BIOS and turn off Hyperthreading, which will devote 100% of the CPU to your single instance or set up and run another folder/client just like you would if it was a dual CPU machine. Either way should get you 100% of the processor.

:D Yep, see, told ya so :p What I do is run both UD and FAH, lets me help out two teams :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

It turned out that I had two instances of FAH running, one for the administrator account, and one for the user account (WindowsXP). Since they were both pointing to the same folder, I think they were intefering with one another's successful completion of the WU. :(

On that machine I have the FAH shortcut in the Startup for All Users, but I'm beginning to think that the way to go is running as a service.

I'm new to the Intel world. The box the AOpen MB came in says that it supports HyperThreading. How can I tell if the CPU supports it? I thought that it was only P4's > 3.0 that ran HT.:confused:

Again, thanks for your help.

90000.gif

If it's a 2.4c it has hyperthreading. All of the "c" chips have it now. Can you please stop adding machines so I can catch you :) I just ordered an xp 2800 and one of them albatron nforce2 boards. I believe all the 2800's are still unlocked so I will crank this one up to 3200 :)

Can you please stop adding machines so I can catch you I just ordered an xp 2800 and one of them albatron nforce2 boards. I believe all the 2800's are still unlocked so I will crank this one up to 3200
:eek:
I better crank up my borging or you'll pass me before my new machines even arrive! I'll try the HT on one machine and see what happens.
Is there a good description somewhere that gives a step-by-step guide to HT setup? It's hell not having the search function.:(

[edit] Just found a good, clear description by ChelseaOilman here:

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=4750&highlight=hyperthread

90000.gif

The only P4s that have HT are the 2.4c, 2.6c, 2.8c, 3.0c, 3.2c and 3.06b. All the 200 (800) fsb chips have HT, the only 133 (533) fsb chip to have it is the 3.06. If you don't have one of these you don't have HT, period.

Rich :¬)

Hey...I fold for a different team but I was reading you post here....

For a regular gromac of about 29.7-32.0 pts I can usually get about 3:00 per frame with one instance and get done in the 5hour range....When I run 2 instances I get about 4:30-4:40 per frame for just over 7:30-7:40 minutes for 2 completed...I saw this when I first set it up and drew the exact same protein for each folding client.....

Excuse me I have only been folding for 1 week as of today...I did pretty good with 1200pts and 32 WU's for the week and that was with a 6 hour power outage, failure to have it setup right to quit drawing tinker (aka stinker cores) for the first 2 days......

I run

p4 [email protected] (HT only twice but 1 instance 24/7 since start)

P4m 1.5 centrino (mostly nights)
AMD [email protected] (24/7 or as close without wife shutting rig off)

just added today

AMD 1600+

Back