50" vs 60". Worth it?

DCVL

n00b
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
59
Thanks for all your replies. I've decided plasma was for me all over again. I am stuck on determining the size that I should get. Should I go with a 60 or a 50? Bigger always seems better but the difference is from $750 and $1199. Is a 60" worth that much more if I never really plan on sitting more than about 8 feet away from the TV? The TV is going to be a part of the home theater set up. I'd go into a store right now and look but I'm in a 3rd world country where CRTs are still sold. Just trying to get some info for when I return. I guess this is a poll more than anything. Thanks.
 
If you're at 8' or so, a 50" plasma is probably safe as per this viewing distance calculator. A 60" one certainly wouldn't hurt, but if the price differential is that large (and depending on where you are, some window or e-window shopping may be in order) I'd probably skip it too.
 
60" is still worth it, even at eight feet. This is especially true for movie viewing (the only time I can understand a "too big" argument is for casual TV watching... and even then it would have to be pretty damn big).

Which plasmas are you considering?
 
I went from a 50" to a 60" a couple of years ago. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. That 10" difference may not sound like a lot, but it equates to 44% larger area.
 
went from a 37 to a 60'' since I remodelled the basement...

I sit about 9 feet from the TV... and the only thing I regret on that switch... is I should ahve tried the 70'' :D...

it can never be too big ;)
 
I really love all of the panasonic viera plasmas. Don't bother with 3d it's not a very good experience and you don't notice it after watching for 15 minutes. I got a 46" 3d panasonic plasma and would trade the 3d for a 60" version in a heartbeat. I think panasonic viera have the best picture for movies on the market imo.
 
I did it and 60" is the way to go if you have enough space.
50" is a TV.
60" is a home theater.
 
50" vs 60". Worth it?

Yes. (Only real negative is that it's not larger...)
 
Back
Top